home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #76
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

that'd be nice.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #77
Rich Halsey
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
new PB, but no change in points

That is impressive!!! That thing is a beast!

Last edited by Rich Halsey; 03-30-2016 at 09:09 AM..
Rich Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #78
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Halsey View Post
That is impressive!!! That thing is a beast!
it's alright. what's the story on your 5.3 swap?
Old 04-02-2016, 12:10 AM   #79
ElHefe910
Board Member

I know it is probably somewhere on here but I was curious what kind of rods and cr ratio are you running on goldie? I know you seem to be somewhat of a grudge racer so you may not want to post hp numbers or I guess it really doesn't matter since your 1/4 mile time is posted. I plan on building a similar motor but in a 240. Just wondering if I should try and get something better than the RSI rods I currently have. I just got 8.1cr pistons from Johnv and was really impressed with the quality and I feel kinda bad matching my rsi rods that were ran for about a thousand miles before I aquired them.
ElHefe910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #80
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe910 View Post
I know it is probably somewhere on here but I was curious what kind of rods and cr ratio are you running on goldie? I know you seem to be somewhat of a grudge racer so you may not want to post hp numbers or I guess it really doesn't matter since your 1/4 mile time is posted. I plan on building a similar motor but in a 240. Just wondering if I should try and get something better than the RSI rods I currently have. I just got 8.1cr pistons from Johnv and was really impressed with the quality and I feel kinda bad matching my rsi rods that were ran for about a thousand miles before I aquired them.
not a grudge racer. in fact at events I think the furthest I've ever gotten was the quarter finals, and that was with the evo (****ing spec clutch). Anyway, it is all documented in one of two places, the 90's build thread, or the 90 part two shooting for 9's build thread. 8:1 is a little low IMO, but it's not a show stopper. I've got RSI rods and pistons in the gold car (side note-they're essentially the same, john brags about having better rod bolts but I know of few people who've stretched OEM bolts and no one that's stretched the fairly standard size that RSI spec'd for their rods YMMV, etc, but ya know). I believe the CR is around 9:1. Not super high. If I scatter the engine I'll push it up to closer to 10:1, but if it never breaks it's not something I'll cry over either.

TL,DR: rods are fine, just make sure you've got the right length for the piston and the right pin diameter. you may be in for a set of rods based on that anyway. Aside from that, they're all china rods, and they're all fine.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #81
Rich Halsey
Board Member

Quote:
it's alright. what's the story on your 5.3 swap?
Its running. Waiting on the meth kit to show up and install and off to the dyno!
Rich Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #82
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

Well, I had quite the disappointing night at the drag strip.

I realized that I have a combination now that I haven't yet run at the drag strip - a laggy turbo, sticky tires, and a stock torque converter. These 3 things combined made it impossible for me to brake boost off the line. I sat there for several seconds, only to leave at roughly 2k rpm and 1psi. Couple that with a high RPM misfire (breaking up badly above 4800), and you have the recipe for slow. :(

I think a 3500 stall converter is in my near future. Does anyone have any leads on where to send out/buy a torque converter for the AW71? LMK. Meanwhile, here's the failslip. Crossed the line in OD, part throttle because of the misfire.

PNW940Pwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #83
red740t
Board Member

Kenny should be banned. it's not fair. I think his car should be tested for doping
red740t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #84
qwkswede
faster than you think

I'll get your data added today.

For torque converters I used Continental torque converters in Los Angeles. They were pretty knowledgeable, and actually do alot of work with the Volvo/Toyota converters because they use them for cores on high power v8s. They had a selection of different parts on hand to assemble mine. I went too low stall though. I'm reaching about 2400 on the brakes WOT. I'm a bit below my boost threshold there too. If I wasn't so lazy I would yank the trans and send the converter off to Continental for a stall speed change. The first time inside they added several roller bearings and brazed/welded up the internals for strength. So a simple re-stall wouldn't be to expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW940Pwnage View Post

I realized that I have a combination now that I haven't yet run at the drag strip - a laggy turbo, sticky tires, and a stock torque converter. These 3 things combined made it impossible for me to brake boost off the line. I sat there for several seconds, only to leave at roughly 2k rpm and 1psi. Couple that with a high RPM misfire (breaking up badly above 4800), and you have the recipe for slow. :(

I think a 3500 stall converter is in my near future. Does anyone have any leads on where to send out/buy a torque converter for the AW71? LMK. Meanwhile, here's the failslip. Crossed the line in OD, part throttle because of the misfire.

qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #85
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Wow, that IS low Ken. My stock one will flash to around 2600 before it builds more than the rear brakes can handle and lights em up. For the slicks I wouldn't mind around 2800-2900 though, should let me easily get to around 10-12psi on the line, should launch nice. I wanna say the one I got from TLAO is spec'd for 3k, but good for 550hp+.
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #86
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red740t View Post
Kenny should be banned. it's not fair. I think his car should be tested for doping
no dope, it just runs better when it's drunk
Old 04-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #87
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Wow, that IS low Ken. My stock one will flash to around 2600 before it builds more than the rear brakes can handle and lights em up. For the slicks I wouldn't mind around 2800-2900 though, should let me easily get to around 10-12psi on the line, should launch nice. I wanna say the one I got from TLAO is spec'd for 3k, but good for 550hp+.
I'm actually ordering a 3k stall from Level 10 for the same reason. I realized at the track that with my laggy-ass turbo and the slicks, I couldn't even get more than 1psi on the line. It was terrible.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #88
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

Quote:
no dope, it just runs better when it's drunk
...as long as it doesn't wake up and not know what driveway it's in!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #89
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I had the lag issue on the holset, not the garrett, but it would be nice to launch a bit harder anyway.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #90
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
...as long as it doesn't wake up and not know what driveway it's in!
it's got a DD ;)
Old 04-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #91
qwkswede
faster than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Mine is specced for 3k too, and heavily modified for strength. But I live at 6000' altitude, and the motor is not stock. high compression bigger turbo. So it just doesn't build enough torque to get into boost at that rpm.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #92
qwkswede
faster than you think

What is the basic description of the car/modifications?

Quote:

Old 04-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #93
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

B230FT/AW71 w/accum. mod...Stoni tune, 660cc Siemens, E85, Chinese T3/T04E. 63, IPD cam, 3" side exit, curb weight 2675 lbs. About 20psi. Rear tires were 245/50-16 Nitto NT555R's.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #94
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

How much bewst?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #95
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
How much bewst?
All of it.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 PM   #96
turbotankshane
Board Member

Sounds very similar to my last outing, 2.7 60' that ended in a 14.0 @ 106, but that was with a giant hole on the bottom side of an IC coupler that had me down on boost and running pig rich.. that was the day my aw71 started acting up as well.

If you're only trapping 100mph on 20psi out of a t04e on an e85 tune in a ~2700lb car then there's something waaaaaaaay off.
turbotankshane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #97
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

Quote:
Couple that with a high RPM misfire (breaking up badly above 4800)... Crossed the line in OD, part throttle because of the misfire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post

If you're only trapping 100mph on 20psi out of a t04e on an e85 tune in a ~2700lb car then there's something waaaaaaaay off.
Without the misfire, it pulls much, much harder.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #98
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

I should add about the misfire...

...when it misfires, usually past 4800 RPM or so, my tach drops out and loses signal. Not completely, but just about. Going by memory, it kinda drops down and flutters around 2k-3k once I get above 5k.

All ignition components except the power stage and crank angle sensor are ~2 months new: cap, rotor, plugs, wires, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6A. I am not using a tach adapter as I didn't lose my tach when I installed the MSD. I am not using the double coil setup either.

If you have any ideas, LMK! gsellstr already suggested checking the CAS and power stage, as those sound like the most likely culprits to interfere with the tach. Any other ideas, LMK. I would love to get a good run at full steam!
Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #99
qwkswede
faster than you think

Cool. I added the basics to the entry in the first post.

On another topic, spring is here! Our track opens later this month and I'd like to get my daily driver out there to see where I am now. Maybe an E85 tune would be fun with a high compression turbo motor, thats an easy possibility.

Quote:
B230FT/AW71 w/accum. mod...Stoni tune, 660cc Siemens, E85, Chinese T3/T04E. 63, IPD cam, 3" side exit, curb weight 2675 lbs. About 20psi. Rear tires were 245/50-16 Nitto NT555R's.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #100
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Do eeet