• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How high a SCR for N/A B23 with VX, pump gas?

82's are 2.1L still. So while it may be a flat top piston, it's a different size.

Or by just adding a K cam. But who cares if it's interference or not?

82 GT? Huh? 79-81 GT, then they dropped the "GT" and had "Turbo" and "GLT".

There were 82 242s that were b23, Chrysler ignition and Jetronic 2.0.

I owned one.

I was told by Volvo in Chattanooga, TN that these cars were originally shipped to US as 82 turbo cars but never even left the customs yard before going back to Sweden for retrofit.

Their only confusion on the matter was that they were under the impression that the 82 GT was supposed to be a Canadian reissue but mine had apparently originally been sold to a US dealer in Virginia after retrofit.

So you owned a car with a B23 and 2.0 BEFORE there were B23's and 2.0? Seems a bit fishy.

I have the green book for thefuel and ignition systems originally provided by the dealer.

Edit:// no you're probably right. It was likely an elaborate plot to unload my bank account and cause me to spend all of my time at the dealer parts counter :-)

BTW I paid 750 USD for car because "it is impossible to find parts for".

It was pretty impossible (everywhere but the dealer)

Yes, likely in a shoebox somewhere.

I took lots of pics when i swapped everything (but the interior) from this car into an 84 diesel after the 82 got totalled.

This car and the related swapping is the reason why I became a mechanic.

The "Volvo shuffle" was enough experience for me to talk my way into a job working on Porsches ;-)

Unless you're talking about swapping to Bosch breakerless, the 1983-84 B23F and the 1985-88 B230F cars all use a Chrysler ignition amplifier. Only difference is the distributor and the coil. If you look at the part number for an autotragic 1984 240 B23 ignition box, it's the same as the one used on the early 1983 B23F engines with the Chrysler distributor and coil. 1317295.

The 1982 242GLT had a B21F-LH with LH 1.0. Made 105 hp, instead of 98 hp for the B21F-MPG.

A B23F with LH 2.0 is shown below...

Last edited:
Yes, i will see if I can find them. I'll probably have to take pics of pics on phone.

No scanner, no computer.

I still have the AMM, wiring harness (and likely the ECM) too if you're interested.

Unless you're talking about swapping to Bosch breakerless, the 1983-84 B23F and the 1985-88 B230F cars all use a Chrysler ignition amplifier. Only difference is the distributor and the coil. If you look at the part number for an autotragic 1984 240 B23 ignition box, it's the same as the one used on the early 1983 B23F engines with the Chrysler distributor and coil. 1317295.

The 1982 242GLT had a B21F-LH with LH 1.0. Made 105 hp, instead of 98 hp for the B21F-MPG.

Okay. I thought the same thing b21, but put a headgasket on the car that lasted for about a mile before blowing oil everywhere.

That's when I broke down and started going to the dealership. That's when I learned about the oddity of said car (and when it got its name - the "Swedish devil")

Different advance curve would be in the unit not the distributor. I can see that gaining hp if you have a more optimal advance curve. See if the chrysler box has a different part number with a bosch distributor or a chrysler distributor. They may have the different advance curve if different units were used. Or maybe it's another one of those Volvo typos from back in the day. :lol:

Ignition box is the same between the two. My guess is that since the Chrysler distributor cap and rotor use aluminum contacts, it may not be as good a conductor as the copper and brass parts on the Bosch distributor parts. I may be talking out of my rearend here, but...

John, my car was identical to your pic.

Does yours have the Chrysler ignition amplifier on your left (facing engine) with a huge washer bottle in the amplifier bracket?

B21F-LH, as found in a 1982 242GLT:

A pre-1983 fuel injected B23:

(missing Pulsair air injection tubing and with hacked AC hose - both of which were fixed a couple months after this pic was taken)

Sounds like maybe someone swapped it, then. At least, the intake manifold, since a 242GLT had what's shown in my previous post, first image.

Yes, all cars with Chrysler ignition from 1981-1988 have the big Chrysler ignition amplifier with vacuum line and a Volvo part number sticker mounted to the washer bottle on the passenger side.

Or it was an early 83 car titled as an 82. Or someone else swapped it prior to your ownership.

Did it have big bumpers or small bumpers?

Big bumpers.

I wish I knew where the pics are at. I'm pretty sure that I took a picture of the VIN.

I'm confused - is there or isn't there a version of the Chrysler box with a better curve? If so does anyone have definitive year/submodel or part number?

The two modules that work with the 1983-84 B23F are:

1317295 - found on all flat top piston B23F engines. More mild advance curve
1346105 - found on the dished piston B23F engines. More aggressive advance curve

The 1346107 and newer modules require a different hall switch that has a wider gap than what was used on the B23F engines. The ones from the B21 engines may be compatible with the B23F, but I don't remember the differences, advance curve-wise.

Back