• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

lightened flywheel issues - always something

Jack

junkman
I got this flywheel

who made it ?
normal pressure plate dowel dont line up - this is for a bigger one ? I remeber reading there are two types

bigger issue I have is when I went to bolt it up the the block today the lip facing the block bottomed it out.

so is is machined wrong or do I need a spacer :roll:
lNYQxNUh.jpg

see lip sticking past the starter ring - thats what bottoming out on the block
QaokvrVh.jpg

pins wont fit this
5anLTk8h.jpg

No spacer , wheel is machined wrong , IMO
Probably drilled for 228mm clutch , you have a 215 mm ??

The early JVAB steel flywheels had block clearance issues by the starter, and yes probably drilled for Saab 228.

I think Myles and a few others ground back the block, and others bailed.

^ pm me a price

What a piece of shiiiet

Bigger issue is the clearance. Wheel looks great until you install it and realize it seizes your god dam engine. Might as well install a cardboard disk. Light as fuk car goes nowhere but it will rev if you hand crank it

Mkay, well, good luck.

You missed the whole point.

Unless bad design... and from what it sounds like jvab had issues exactly like this, I would have to grind the block,just plain stupid, or take it to a machine shop and have them shave off some of that lip.
I got this in a “get out of Volvos sale” where someone was just fed up with Volvo suppliers. If I bought this new I would be fukin furious . Yesterday was the first time it got mounted

BUT then what? Will it spool? Or like someone mentioned in pm that there was issues with clutch springs hitting the flywheel even after grinding block.

Also heard there’s a thread where people who bought this complained, but I either can’t find it or it got deleted because we need to cover up the truth here... takes off tin foil hat

So is it clock making time or what’s the solution other than grinding the block

Ps you’re like a Canadian version of Thomas. Mods check IPs please

Awesome. What’s his number?

Nobody knows..Which is odd its in the signature for 12-13 years>.Have you tried google for JVAB?

John Vanlandingham/JVAB Imports
Sleezattle WA, USA

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis

I got one of the first billet JohnV flywheels, IRIC> It really took me about 3 or 4 minutes to grind a very small amount of metal off the block in a completely non-critical area. I didn't bother complaining, although I did mention it briefly in my build thread.

Flywheel has been doing great ever since then, 350-ish RWHP through a Spec Saab 9000 Aero Stage 2.5 clutch into a noisy leaky T5 trans.

I have a lot of respect for john.

1. I didnt know who made this
2. was told there were other issues
3. while I did see how much I would need to grind. I was more worried what else might be going on

so whats a good pressure plate to get since I have a clutch already

Thanks
Jack

I also had to add a spacer underneath the clutch fork pivot (and a longer bolt) - but that may have been due to the Saab 9000 pressure plate being shorter, not sure if the flywheel was shorter as well.

I got one of the first billet JohnV flywheels, IRIC> It really took me about 3 or 4 minutes to grind a very small amount of metal off the block in a completely non-critical area. I didn't bother complaining, although I did mention it briefly in my build thread.

Flywheel has been doing great ever since then, 350-ish RWHP through a Spec Saab 9000 Aero Stage 2.5 clutch into a noisy leaky T5 trans.

can you find the photo you sent me? That has to be one of the first 4 mailed out... oooops.

They were about 1/8 thinner. That first run.

That seems to be the right amount

I gots all sorts of problems after installing the t5 with old flywheel. Clutch is slipping and I?m getting lots of vibrations when engaged. Also installed the wrong TO bearing.

I need to change this setup ASAP. Anyone got a link to a decent Saab pressure plate I should order?

Back