home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #651
HiSPL
Board Member
 
HiSPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: College Station, TX
Default

Where's the update on the fake streetcar!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Beets taste like buttfeet.
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:08 AM   #652
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.
 
Karl Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
Where's the update on the fake streetcar!
It seems I misspoke. Alex cleaned up at Davis with his DD whiteblock swapped 242. The fake street car is dead, but the engine will live on. I'll post an update once there's progress worth reporting on.
__________________
Fake Race Car
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:16 AM   #653
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders
 
Alex Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent008 View Post
Hi there. Found this thread while researching for my project - I challenged myself to build a "Locost" (Lotus Seven Replica) and want it to be B8444S powered. Ironically in Brazil, which is where I'm from, this engine, while not cheap, is much less expensive than any other respectable small-block V8 and for being narrower than a 90 degreee V8, will fit into my chassis easier.
After reading the whole thread here I felt compelled to register to the forum and follow it because so much goodness and also it has already given me a few answers for my own project. To the Buchkas I can only say well done and congratulations for your craftiness and ability with various workshop tools and jobs. Mind blown by, for example, the bellhousing and various other stuff accomplished already.

Well, presentation made, I ask if you have any news for us regarding the build. Also have you considered going with the original Volvo ECU? Any ideas as to what parts that'd need? I'm thinking at least original ECU, loom, keys & keyhole, immobiliser antenna ring, not sure on the instrument panel (DIM)?

EDIT: Maybe also the chassis/body ECU (not sure whats the name, BCM I think)?

Cheers
Hey bud, thank you for the kind words. Your locost sounds like a fun project, I've considered building one myself but I've been able to live vicariously through a friend and his Caterham project. The B8444S will definitely be a very tight squeeze in a locost. I think you'll find the height of the engine difficult to accommodate. The narrower V-angle and DOHC configuration both drive up the total height compared to an LS style engine and you might find yourself needing a pretty substantial bump in the hood to cover it up.

The original ECU was never really something Karl or I entertained. Neither of us were interested in jumping through a bunch of hoops to fool the immobilizer and other interconnected chassis signals only to be left with an unmodifiable engine calibration. I know there is at least one guy in Sweden who successfully ran the engine on an old Haltech E11v2 standalone by deleting the VVT functionality and converting to a cable actuated throttle body.

Things are happening on the car slowly but surely. The drivers seat and harness mounts are 100% complete so we've been able to strap in and make engine noises while turning the steering wheel. This was a big milestone.

I wasn't happy with the steering column mounts so they got some revisions. Built a box section to hold the forward shaft collar in place. Also re-arranged the tubing supporting the rear shaft collar and added a removable strut down to the pedal box mount. I only have a few pictures of the box section, will post more later. All of this greatly improved the vertical and lateral stiffness of the column and actually allow for mounting of master cylinders (probably important that those fit )



Added some taco braces to the knee bar to give more shear area in that region in case of a frontal impact. Also added a few up by the windshield bar for a small stiffness gain.


Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #654
agent008
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brazil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
Hey bud, thank you for the kind words. Your locost sounds like a fun project, I've considered building one myself but I've been able to live vicariously through a friend and his Caterham project. The B8444S will definitely be a very tight squeeze in a locost. I think you'll find the height of the engine difficult to accommodate. The narrower V-angle and DOHC configuration both drive up the total height compared to an LS style engine and you might find yourself needing a pretty substantial bump in the hood to cover it up.
Thanks for the quick answer! I see, the plan is to make a +442E chassis which is 4 inches wider, 4 inches longer and 2 inches taller. Not sure whether the extra 2 inches will be enough but man... that engine has got the best of me when I heard the sound. If I'm doing something crazy, why limit it to a more mundane engine? It's not like we have any race regulations here as there isn't any Locost championships etc. so we don't need to be constrained by any rules except those of physics of course.

Quote:
The original ECU was never really something Karl or I entertained. Neither of us were interested in jumping through a bunch of hoops to fool the immobilizer and other interconnected chassis signals only to be left with an unmodifiable engine calibration. I know there is at least one guy in Sweden who successfully ran the engine on an old Haltech E11v2 standalone by deleting the VVT functionality and converting to a cable actuated throttle body.
Yeah, If I end up not using OEM those would be my reasons exactly, but either path isn't without its difficulties. I know you had to talk even to Volvo engineers to get the info, so after going such lengths to achieve your goals I understand one might not feel like giving away the treasure so easily, but I'll ask -- In case I'd go with an aftermarket ECU, would you mind sharing the info you have on eg. how to drive the CVVT solenoids, possible maps etc.? Thanks

Quote:
Things are happening on the car slowly but surely. The drivers seat and harness mounts are 100% complete so we've been able to strap in and make engine noises while turning the steering wheel. This was a big milestone.

I wasn't happy with the steering column mounts so they got some revisions. Built a box section to hold the forward shaft collar in place. Also re-arranged the tubing supporting the rear shaft collar and added a removable strut down to the pedal box mount. I only have a few pictures of the box section, will post more later. All of this greatly improved the vertical and lateral stiffness of the column and actually allow for mounting of master cylinders (probably important that those fit )

Added some taco braces to the knee bar to give more shear area in that region in case of a frontal impact. Also added a few up by the windshield bar for a small stiffness gain.
Great to see project's still alive and having good progress. Keep up the good stuff. Following this thread with great interest.

Cheers
agent008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #655
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.
 
Karl Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent008 View Post
Yeah, If I end up not using OEM those would be my reasons exactly, but either path isn't without its difficulties. I know you had to talk even to Volvo engineers to get the info, so after going such lengths to achieve your goals I understand one might not feel like giving away the treasure so easily, but I'll ask -- In case I'd go with an aftermarket ECU, would you mind sharing the info you have on eg. how to drive the CVVT solenoids, possible maps etc.? Thanks
As mentioned earlier in the thread, we're planning on using a Link G4+T to control the engine. The engine uses fairly conventional engine-oil fed cam phasors for VVT that requires closed loop control of the solenoids. The G4+T supports this strategy on four cams with user-definable trigger patterns. The jury is still out on if the stock cam trigger wheels can be properly translated to the Link configs, but we're hopeful. In the worst case we will have to modify the trigger wheels.

We have no maps or other info at this time. The talking we did with Volvo engineers was pretty superficial and never ended up going anywhere, so there really isn't any secret sauce to share there.

I would have no problem sharing any maps or calibrations we end up with. Secrecy is dumb. Just be aware that they will be of limited utility unless you have an almost identical engine setup.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:14 AM   #656
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders
 
Alex Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Here are a couple of photos of the updated steering column mount. The lower removable strut is made from a piece of aluminum hex stock with right and left hand threaded rod ends. Probably going to run a compact reservoir on the clutch as pictured and some remote reservoir masters for the brakes.

Also vaguely visible are the keenserts i installed in the pedal box to allow for bolting it on from underneath.



Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:49 AM   #657
doucheNozzle
Newbie
 
doucheNozzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pitt, 15218
Default

Ooo yea, drink that C-
__________________

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #658
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Ooo yea, drink that C-
Hehe. We keep Diet Coors around the shop because it's low ABV, cheap, and inoffensive. Seems to work well when you want a refreshment but also want to Keep On Wrenchin! (TM) and not kill your productivity.

I sat in the FRC last night and tried out the new steering situation. Column feels super stiff and should stand up to reacting the multiple lateral g's this thing will pull in the corners. Many triangles, much race.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #659
agent008
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brazil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Buchka View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, we're planning on using a Link G4+T to control the engine. The engine uses fairly conventional engine-oil fed cam phasors for VVT that requires closed loop control of the solenoids. The G4+T supports this strategy on four cams with user-definable trigger patterns. The jury is still out on if the stock cam trigger wheels can be properly translated to the Link configs, but we're hopeful. In the worst case we will have to modify the trigger wheels.

We have no maps or other info at this time. The talking we did with Volvo engineers was pretty superficial and never ended up going anywhere, so there really isn't any secret sauce to share there.

I would have no problem sharing any maps or calibrations we end up with. Secrecy is dumb. Just be aware that they will be of limited utility unless you have an almost identical engine setup.
Great! On to google "closed loop solenoid control" and learn about it.

Still talking about the engine, and how you said it would be a tight fit in my proposed car's engine compartment. I've googled a lot and couldn't find any dimensional drawings for the B8444S. Wikipedia says it's 754mm long and 635mm wide. What's this thing's height from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the intake plenum?
agent008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #660
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Hehe. We keep Diet Coors around the shop because it's low ABV, cheap, and inoffensive. Seems to work well when you want a refreshment but also want to Keep On Wrenchin! (TM) and not kill your productivity.

I sat in the FRC last night and tried out the new steering situation. Column feels super stiff and should stand up to reacting the multiple lateral g's this thing will pull in the corners. Many triangles, much race.
We only keep 3 different kinds of Beer in the Garage which kills the produtivity every****ingtime :D
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #661
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16
 
DNAsEqUeNcE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: seated with Christ in the heavenlies
Default

just checking in to see progress and say hello.
__________________
John 3:16
For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son, that whomsoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #662
SquareD
An Anomaly
 
SquareD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The STL
Default

Man this is so awesome, you guys drink Coors Light too.
__________________
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti m46 | 13.8 @ 100.5 | SOLD after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #663
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.
 
Karl Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Decided to drop the body down on to the frame today.

The cowl panel needed some notching to get it low enough.



The front of the body still needs to be dropped another 15mm or so in this photo, so it's slightly raked right now.



The body has been lifted almost 8" off the frame for almost a year, so it was super cool to see it closer to its final position.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #664
volvo # 240 -86
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Hi I looking for a volvo 240 -86 tail light in good used condition thanks.
volvo # 240 -86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #665
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.
 
Karl Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo # 240 -86 View Post
Hi I looking for a volvo 240 -86 tail light in good used condition thanks.
Sorry man, I don't have anything like that.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #666
HiSPL
Board Member
 
HiSPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: College Station, TX
Default

Thats not fair Karl. With your priveledge you could build this guy a new taillight.
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #667
moise
Board Member
 
moise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: France
Default

ho nice!
moise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #668
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Body drop!

Soon...

Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #669
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders
 
Alex Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Got a few hours in this weekend. Got the door bars and a-pillar braces tacked in place. Also notched and fit tubes for the main hoop/front main stay supports (helmet crushers) but didn't have time to weld them in.

Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:33 AM   #670
mopar318
Board Member
 
mopar318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fort Wayne
Default

What kind of racing is the plan for this car? Road racing? Will you be doing HPDE or is some sort of class? Can't wait to see the finished product.
__________________
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pimps out interiors.

1989 244 b230ft with pLAID recaros
1980 242 16 valve turbo
2007 V70R

mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #671
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders
 
Alex Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar318 View Post
What kind of racing is the plan for this car? Road racing? Will you be doing HPDE or is some sort of class? Can't wait to see the finished product.
Mostly track days, maybe some hill climb and time attack. The tube chassis puts it in the Global Time Attack Pro/Comp class where it won't even be close to competitive so that would just be for the hell of it.
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #672
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

I can't wait to see it sitting on wheels.
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #673
rijk
Board Member
 
rijk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Netherlands
Default Extensively documented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I can't wait to see it sitting on wheels.
But not without every extensively documented, breathtaking step in between, please.
__________________
The B204FT to B234FT conversion
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=182821
rijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #674
TheLost
Board Member
 
TheLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Default

Reading your build threads is like a gripping novel. I love it. This thing is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Rad.
__________________
New Volvo Enthusiast from Central Ohio.

'90 240 Wagon "Boogie" - T5
'90 240 Wagon "Silver Bullet" - M47 - SOLD
'87 300zx Turbo - 30a - SOLD
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.