• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v how to properly tension the belt?

i would run the factory roller on the side of the head rather than that contraption. you want to have the belt wrap around the cam gear as much as possible, theres no gain in moving that pressure down.

You have a point there. The belt needs to wrap about 180 degrees around the cam sprockets.

That contraption looks like a subie idler... As far as getting that intake cam gear to have the belt wrap 180 around it, that's half way around it.. Good luck with that.. The penta doesn't have any problems with not going around half way with the higher lift penta cams in every volvo penta 16v ever made..

That contraption looks like a subie idler... As far as getting that intake cam gear to have the belt wrap 180 around it, that's half way around it.. Good luck with that.. The penta doesn't have any problems with not going around half way with the higher lift penta cams in every volvo penta 16v ever made..

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/xr_doc/b234f.jpg - pic I grabbed off google

Its actually the stock B234F pulley and arm that sits on the spring loaded tensioner that bolts under the intake cam gear. I just relocated it to where the idler pulley went, and secured it to a solid point with a bracket I made.

If I were to go the VW tensioner route, I would get a real VW unit. Most URO parts I've installed were short-lived crap.

Thanks for the belt link!

You bet! Did you see where I said I'm a gonna use the $350 Penta tesioner cause I got a new one on the new penta 16v boat motor I bought?

Do you have a part number for the VW tensioner that I would buy from the VW dealer? I sure could use that info. I don't want to know the car, I want the real VW part number.

Thanks.

2013 bump, nice Simon ;)

FWIW I have yet to have a belt or tensioner failure on car with the vw yoshifab stuff.

2013 bump, nice Simon ;)

FWIW I have yet to have a belt or tensioner failure on car with the vw yoshifab stuff.

Same here... I had to change mine because I tried to clean it with break cleaner and it killed the bearing. Other than that I must have like 25,000 Km+ on the second one without the cover to protect it from the dirt and it's still ok.

Back