• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Virgo phrenology

apachechef

Burnt Sierra Madre
I have a bunch of virgo, some with tires some wo

I have a 240 on four jack stands, and a dial indicator on a magnetic base.

I can figure out the method of measuring the runout, or deviation of the lateral and radial surfaces.

Any ideas of how to separate the good from the bad and the ugly??

going to blast and paint the best back to stock appearance.

Best on a tire balance machine with the tires off. You have vertical and horizontal run-out for both inside and outside to measure. Make friends with a local tire store.

Put them on the front hub with two lug nuts, give them a spin and see.

Volvo's go / no go is 1/8" / 3mm runout.

Best to have the tires removed obviously.

Best on a tire balance machine with the tires off. You have vertical and horizontal run-out for both inside and outside to measure. Make friends with a local tire store.

Lol the machine will give him numbers in 1/4 ounces and he will only tell you if it will 'balance' out or not.

Aluminum-wheels-scrap-400x256.jpg

A wheel repair shop can check them for you. I don't know if they will charge in your area. I personally would take them to be refurbushed and you don't have do any grunt work(its really not worth the trouble).

Lol the machine will give him numbers in 1/4 ounces and he will only tell you if it will 'balance' out or not.

Not necessarily.
The idea is to mount the wheel on the balance machine and spin it by hand.
Basically the same as using the car's spindle but a bit easier to keep that slow/smooth rotation since there are no brakes dragging.

It's what the wheel collision place that I use does. It's very easy to see the runout.

Not necessarily.
The idea is to mount the wheel on the balance machine and spin it by hand.
Basically the same as using the car's spindle but a bit easier to keep that slow/smooth rotation since there are no brakes dragging.

It's what the wheel collision place that I use does. It's very easy to see the runout.

Lucky you, most shops don't have time nor inclination for special requests / hand holding.

I don't know that I'd call it a "special request or hand holding".

I mean, I'm having the wheel repaired there and they are showing me how they check it and how bad it is.
What's wrong with that?

I guess it's different because I know I'll be having it repaired there.

I don't know that I'd call it a "special request or hand holding".

I mean, I'm having the wheel repaired there and they are showing me how they check it and how bad it is.
What's wrong with that?

I guess it's different because I know I'll be having it repaired there.

Time is money, and asking a tire & wheel shop to use their expensive balance machine on however many Virgos is a machine down.

Time is money, and asking a tire & wheel shop to use their expensive balance machine on however many Virgos is a machine down.

Pretty sure I referred to a wheel collision repair place, but regardless, I wouldn't ask or expect them to do it for free. As you say time is money.

But maybe you veteran TBers would expect them to do it for TBcheap™! :rofl:

Mountain Or Molehill

Pretty sure I referred to a wheel collision repair place, but regardless, I wouldn't ask or expect them to do it for free. As you say time is money.

But maybe you veteran TBers would expect them to do it for TBcheap™! :rofl:

Or simply do the TBmethod™ on a front hub holding the tip of a screwdriver up to the wheel.

:e-shrug:

Unless of course you have rust coast brake pistons that don't retract properly.

:-P

Or simply do the TBmethod? on a front hub holding the tip of a screwdriver up to the wheel.

:e-shrug:

Unless of course you have rust coast brake pistons that don't retract properly.

:-P

Removal of one side's brake pads is likely not a bad idea if someone had to test quite a few of them. Then again, if your wheel bearings are not great, that can also cause issues.

A lot of work for Virgos, IMO.

Back