• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Shift linkage bushing and stalk removal

TestPoint

Got under the Bertone this afternoon to install the last part before getting it off the jack stands . . . the shift link removed to allow removal of the shift assembly for carpet installation.

The bushing is missing. I don't remember it in disassembly.

I find two part numbers for the bushing, both at IPD. 381704 is apparently an OEM part, 666143 appears to be an aftermarket version.

Tried to order the OEM from a Volvo dealer and was told it was NLA.

Anyone got thoughts on aftermarket version or a box of OEM bushing.

While I am here please let me ask how to remove the bottom half of the shift shaft top. Figured how to remove the button and top without completely destroying the button but the lower half seems to be firmly and permanently attached. It appears to have a 'security' type nut on the shaft. I can envision how to convert a cheap deep socket into a tool to loosen it but would like to know if that is going to accomplish the removal of the bottom of the top . . . if that makes any sense.

The intent is to remove the shift console (again) to paint it the dash cover rather than the upholstery color. The upholstery paint is latex and brush paint-able. The dash paint I have and used is oil based and no way I am going to spray inside the car. No way also am I going to remove the entire shift assembly for such detail.

What do you think the Pebble Beach judges point deduction would be for the wrong color shift console?

Last edited:
That a commonly used part by Volvo. Readily available. It's actually the same bushing that is used on the 122 throttle shaft. I recall you need two for the automatic shifter.

Never had a Bertone so I'm not sure what to tell you about removing the console and shifter. Just check it out carefully and you figure it out.

Take it apart to paint like MsgGrunt did.
attachment.php

I find two part numbers for the bushing, both at IPD. 381704 is apparently an OEM part, 666143 appears to be an aftermarket version.

Tried to order the OEM from a Volvo dealer and was told it was NLA.

Anyone got thoughts on aftermarket version or a box of OEM bushing.
eeuroparts.com has them in different brands. The old up to 84 parts catalog I looked at shows 381704 as the bushing for the U shaped yoke, and 666143 as the bushing for the other end with the L shaped post, but I think the diagram has the rod and ends flipped, so I don't know if it's accurate.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iY9RRzXv-zE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YzkIjjm94lE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What about removing the plastic bottom half of the shift knob from the metal shaft?

The linked knob removal YouTube used a hammer to drive the soft rubber top off. Mine is hard black plastic and is not likely to enjoy that method of removal.

Is there anything holding it on other than a force fit?

If you have the early shifter you need to remove the cap, push button, washer and spring before the bottom half will come off.

Late140Early240AutoShifterKnob.jpg

After 37 years I don't think that lower hard black plastic is going to slide off the shaft so easily.

Got the top and button off long ago but never been able to get the lower half of the knob off. It is very firmly attached but I cannot see anything locking it on. There is a You Tube video of someone removing the later soft rubber by driving it off with a hammer. Don't think that will work with the hard plastic.

So, the question remains: is the lower half held on by anything and how can I remove it?

If you break it you can still get a new one.

The problem I have with the fine detail of trying to finish off the project is that everyone has everything in their on-line catalog but when you place an order it is not available.

I just ordered the bushings, the push button and the top cap from a Volvo dealer and followed up several days later and found that they had cancelled the order because the parts were NLA. They didn't even bother to notify me.

I stopped by a dealer today and called another with my shopping list and they had nothing other than the bushing at $10 each. Whoop! I could craft such a thing out of hardware store stuff.

The problem with chasing these little issues one at a time as I have been going about it is the shipping cost. I potentially could have bought the $10 bushing for $6 from iPd and then spent $9 on shipping. That is just the penalty for living 100 miles from a metropolitan area. I have done business with Bill of Voluparts for 40 years and between new and old they have never failed to come up with what I need and will ship it the same day for $14.

I also need one screw/bolt holding the door striker plate on. Unique countersunk, Allen driven screw not really available anywhere except a junk yard.

Incidentally, living a hundred miles from Atlanta in the Georgia mountains far outweighs any alternatives. The leaf color is at full maximum this weekend.

Last edited:
Back