• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My first brick... 1989 240 DL Wagon

After swapping barrels with the ARE's it looks like the adapters won't be too big at all :cool:

And as for the upright... if your building on a stand, I don't think uprighting it would be too bad. I would rather have less intake room and more room for TURBO!!! :wtf: I think the motor mounts would be the hardest part. As for the oiling, from what I have read, it really isn't an issue in an upright mounted engine. People who have done it don't seem to have a lack of oil to the 16v head.

Well, aren't you resourceful! Those look awesome and more importantly, they look lie they'll fit great!

The other rub with vert mount is that it locks you in to doing completely custom everything, which is cool if you're Nathan or Josh or what not, but since I don't weld, and I found a pretty good deal on a sweet (standard mount) turbo setup I won't be going that route. However I'll be the first to shake your hand and buy you a beer when you pull it off.

Adding to the above a little, re oil and heads, oil is pressure fed into the head and gets everywhere it needs to go that way. Exceptions being that oil usually pools for the cam lobes to swipe through. I strongly doubt that there'd be insufficient lobe lubrication on a 15-30 degree angle that promotes better out-of-head oil drainage. Doing so would actually partially alleviate a very real issue for those that like to hold high RPMs for a long time, esp while cornering hard to the left on a sweeper. Head oil pooling is a huge issue for a lot of different high revving engines. I'll probably add a couple of fittings on the RHS of the head to get oil out while going left in sweepers and generally help the rest of the time, too.

So I haven't updated in a while because I have not done anything major. Mainly just driving! And loving it.

Heres a shot from down by the river a few weeks ago-

I did decide to do the water torture/ seafoam treatment on it according to the DIY here on TB. I will say, it was very impressive how much my idle smoothed out after doing it. It also left a nice smoke cloud in the neighborhood haha! My son also had a good time helping me out.

Here you can see the remains of the first intake of seafoam, I have a video, but it just won't upload to photo bucket for some reason!

Then I had to put the roof racks on. We made a 14' grind rail for a local skate night and I had to get it into town.

It was a little smokey because we were welding with the doors closed and the a/c on.... hahaha nothing like a 75 degree garage when its 100 degrees outside!

More recently I had to overhaul the front brakes. They were warped something fierce and stopping was getting to be a chore.

I did pick up a big 60 gallon compressor too and had to make room in the garage. I move a bunch of stuff to storage and got all my Volvo goodies in one place so I can start picking things off the list and getting them on the car.

Some of the little things I scored from the yard on my last trip-

Overall, it has been great driving this thing. Cant wait to get some of the bushings squared away and get the turbo on it! But for now, we will wash it and cruise to local meets to hang out. Thats all for now! :cool:

Well I have been cheating on my Volvo a little with another Wagon... :cool:

As for the 240, I had to pull the cam gear because it was wearing crappy and fast! Thinking of picking up a new one from STS soon. Just a lot of money I don't really want to spend right now.

Also drove down to the SCCA Rally Race to watch one of the local Volvo guys run his 940. It was a great time and my son loved it!

Alright, so I have been tinkering here and there on the car. Been fighting this weird draggin clutch feeling. I will post some updates to what I have been doing though.

I finally got around to getting my tach put in. While I was at it, I swapped over the housing, temp and fuel gauge. Now I just need to find a matching speedo so they are all shiny.

I also swapped in my 850T injectors and fixed my valve cover leak. My fuel mileage seems to have gone down drastically, but the power delivery is so much smoother with these injectors.

To try and remedy my clutch issues, I figured I would start with a clutch cable and STS Machinings new bushing to replace the rubber bushing. It seems to have helped. But only time will tell if the clutch dragging is gone.

I also installed my strut bars. I didn't think these would make as big of a difference as they did. The front end stays so much flatter in hard turns that without them!

Other than that, I pulled the racks and have just been loving driving it around! :cool:

I'll trade you that square back for my wagon though!

I have a shiny speedo you can have. Maybe when you bring he square for swap you can grab it!

I'll trade you that square back for my wagon though!

I have a shiny speedo you can have. Maybe when you bring he square for swap you can grab it!

:omg: I... I might actually consider that.... oh man!

RE: Cam gear

Just use a stock cam gear. Stock cams work best when timed straight up!

I have a v-cam swapped in. My power band starts at 4200 it feels like. The cam gear helped bring that a little more lower in the RPM range.

So update. I have been driving the crap out of this thing, but the lack of performance has been killing me!

Well I swapped to my new round tooth setup in preparation for the +T! I found the crank pulley off a tooth 😒

So I got the new crank gear, IM shaft gear, and crank installed and test drive. WOW, the car is a whole new car!!!

Now today at lunch I advanced the cam 4-5* like most people do with the V-cam and the thing idles like crap. The power band definitely move lower in the RPM range, but the car is just not as smooth as it was with the cam set straight up!

Tomorrow she gets dyno' to give me a baseline before the +T, but I think I'm going to back to no advance first!

Always time a stock cam straight up.

I will be from now on. Definitely like the driving characteristics of it straight up!

Really nice, clean looking wagon. So, the timing being off is what had you down on power? Also, what made you convert to round tooth gears?

Honestly, I got the cam gear for $60 in the group by and another member hooked me up with the crank and IM gear for $40. So cost is the main reason. I was also told and read that the round tooth is less likely to jump teeth.

And yeah, the difference in Power below 4K is crazy. The power band starts around 25-2800 and pulls all the way through 5500-6000.

So, can everyone else see my photos now? Apparently they have come back from the dead... I got some big changes happening and am thinking about updating the thread!

Back