• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dyno Info - 89 N/A B230F

VeroDubs

The Big Swede
Got to do a pull on the local dyno today. I got to go right after a 608hp/711tq Corvette. Haha

Wanted to get an idea of what kind of power I was making before I get the +T installed. I am pretty happy with the results.

110.1 WHP @ 4950 RPMS
130 Ft/lbs

Engine-
1989 B230F (130k)
850T Injectors
V-Cam timed straight up
Stock Exhaust
T5 Trans Swap

Now to get to work on installing the turbo setup.

Two things:

Why did they start the pull so late?
Why didn't they let the retarder stabilize before starting the pull?

Being a dyno geek I went online and looked up Sticky's dyno. They're using a Mustang which is a great system assuming the readouts get calibrated from time to time.

They appear to be doing a transient sweep HP reading so (again assuming everything is warmed up) their technique is absolutely fine. IF the system (car and dyno) were warmed up before the pull the readings should be pretty accurate though without EXTENSIVE calibration and comparison to other dynos each dyno can be expected to vary slightly from other dynos. Not a big deal as a practical matter.

As far as where they started the pull we'll assume that they did a preliminary run and determined where the cam (and the total system) started working. When measuring a HP curve like this run these isn't much sense in profiling the output too far outside of the point where max power is generated.

All in all, I'd say the shop did fine and you have REALLY important data to use as a yardstick for future enhancements. GOOD JOB! You'll probably see the max torque and HP RPM values change as you continue your modifications which is to be expected.

Because I don't have access to a PAU-equipped dyno I do my runs on a DynoJet - not my fave but you can still get useful data from them. Every time I make a big change I'm back to the dyno and we have to make some preliminary runs to determine what RPM range to run.

BTW - Nice looking Volvo!

Rock On and have fun.

Dan

Being a dyno geek I went online and looked up Sticky's dyno. They're using a Mustang which is a great system assuming the readouts get calibrated from time to time.

They appear to be doing a transient sweep HP reading so (again assuming everything is warmed up) their technique is absolutely fine. IF the system (car and dyno) were warmed up before the pull the readings should be pretty accurate though without EXTENSIVE calibration and comparison to other dynos each dyno can be expected to vary slightly from other dynos. Not a big deal as a practical matter.

I know I heard him talking with the Tuner about calibrating before the last two pulls with the Corvette that went before me. Not sure if that is the kind of calibrating you mean. They bring a tuner up once a month to this shop and they tune all kinds of cars.
As far as where they started the pull we'll assume that they did a preliminary run and determined where the cam (and the total system) started working. When measuring a HP curve like this run these isn't much sense in profiling the output too far outside of the point where max power is generated.

Yeah, He warmed it up a bit, the ran it through the gears. Then went to third and started the pull. I would say below 3k rpms, my car it a dog.

All in all, I'd say the shop did fine and you have REALLY important data to use as a yardstick for future enhancements. GOOD JOB! You'll probably see the max torque and HP RPM values change as you continue your modifications which is to be expected.

Because I don't have access to a PAU-equipped dyno I do my runs on a DynoJet - not my fave but you can still get useful data from them. Every time I make a big change I'm back to the dyno and we have to make some preliminary runs to determine what RPM range to run.

BTW - Nice looking Volvo!

Rock On and have fun.

Dan

Thank you for the info. I am definitely excited to see the changes in HP as I continue with it. Love driving it around!

I know I heard him talking with the Tuner about calibrating before the last two pulls with the Corvette that went before me. Not sure if that is the kind of calibrating you mean. They bring a tuner up once a month to this shop and they tune all kinds of cars.

Done properly, HP is the result of a calculation (tq x rpm/5252) so to get good numbers you need good sensor readings. That dyno will have a speed sensor as well as a load cell to read the load (torque) values. It sounds like they're checking calibrations regularly which is way cool. Many shops assume that their dyno leaves the factory calibrated and that it stays that way forever - not true. Technically you can't calibrate the sensors even though they can drift over time but you CAN calibrate the readouts so that by the time the signals get to the computer they're right.

Sadly, tuning a car doesn't necessarily mean that they're doing it on a calibrated dyno - you can get inaccurate but repeatable numbers. Sounds like these folks are putting the effort into doing it right. Good for them!

Dan

Back