• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will's Automotive 1984 242T LSR Project

saltflatsracing

WILL'S AUTOMOTIVE 1984 242T LSR Project (Update)

Living in Hawaii, you can probably imagine what it's like trying to build the fast Volvo 242T. No access to parts, shipping costs and finding reliable workmanship, etc.

All of the work so far has been done in house by me and a fabricator friend except for the engine machining, cylinder headwork, and engine assembly.eventhough i have assembled lots of volvo motors together.but for this engine tolerances were critical and i had to go outside of the state to racing engine machine shops in order to insure that kind of precision. Engine cost ---$$$ --- 2.4 Ltr, Carrilo rods, Je custom pistons coated, dry sump system, R-sport 16v head fully ported, custom made Web cams modified timng belt drive system, custom intake,EFI Technologies X3 ENGINE CONTROL UNIT. FEATURES. Sequential injection with 8 injector outputs (2) injectors per cyl.$10k. stainless exhaust for Innovative TO-4 ??? ball bearing turbo. HP so far (lots) will let you know after final dyno pull. Rear end is Track 9" custom built by Currie. Lower and upper control arms were special ordered. Driveshaft custom built Carbon fiber $1200, Richmond 6 speed custom built to our specs $4000, Tilton Nascar bell housing custom bulit at $3000 a piece with custom built flywheel and triple disc setup $$$, rear shocks Koni coil over $750 each, front struts custom built by Truechoice $1000 each.

Well, it's been a project and goal of mine and I'm finally almost there. Here's some pics.

Test10.jpg

Test12.jpg

Test4.jpg

Test9.jpg

Test1.jpg

Test5.jpg

Test3.jpg

Test2.jpg

Test7.jpg

IM001052.jpg

IM001047.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome project! You have some serious dollar in that car.

Where did you get the cylinder head? That's very cool.

cheers

James

Looks great Will. With that cylinder head you are going to be at a huge advantage. The car looks great. I cant imagine building something in HI and shipping it. The last time I was in Wendover I was coming from Texas and I thought the ride would never end. Thats why we are testing at Maxton with my thing before we go taste some salt.I want to make sure we have a player before making the long haul.
From DC it going to basically be driving FOREVER. A week to drive , a week to race , a week to drive. Just kill me.

Are you going to go after a Dirty 200 also?

George in DC

Also.....

Oh yeah. remember that scta wants those silly little strap braces at each junction of the roll cage. Thats a long way to go to get turned around for tech.

I might be able to hook you up with my buddy in Utah for a destination for your hot rod if you need it to sit for a bit before you arrive.

I will call him and I will shoot you an email.
George in Dc

Yes George we're going after 200 .we are stepping up to a t80 turbo and Kevlar belt soon and hope to rich our goal of 850HP.i'm pretty confident that we can achive 200MPH.the only drawback is the shoebox is not very slippery .but will see.
Thanks
Will

Back