• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DeCarbon's and revalving.

WillettRun?

†John3:16
300+ Club
Called Bistein, and they called back -

They can't do em in house. They don't have to setup to do Decarbons.

Anyone know anyone who can do em?

I like these struts and it would be a pity to throw em away.

They're French.

Hit up JVAB, John V does em (sends them to Bilstein himself with specs) for $65 per insert plus shipping.

I'd do it...but I'll just run mine without a rebuild as I'm po'!

You're pretty much out of luck most likely. Nobody is going to have pistons or shims laying around to fit them and they aren't worth doing any custom work on.

You may get lucky and be able to use shims from something else and leave the stock pistons. You just need to take them to someone that knows how to build shocks and is willing to mess with some goofy stuff.

You're pretty much out of luck most likely. Nobody is going to have pistons or shims laying around to fit them and they aren't worth doing any custom work on.

You may get lucky and be able to use shims from something else and leave the stock pistons. You just need to take them to someone that knows how to build shocks and is willing to mess with some goofy stuff.

Nobody is going to do them, eh?
Didya read Harribert's post?

Have a friend Brian Cary driving around with some DeCarbons I found in Tacoma Pull-a-part for 20 each which we sent away... came back all nice....longer travel than when they left, too.

Just curious: have you ever seen inside either a Bilstein or a Decarbon?

Called Bistein, and they called back -

They can't do em in house. They don't have to setup to do Decarbons.

Anyone know anyone who can do em?

I like these struts and it would be a pity to throw em away.

Of course they said that man.
The normal schmuck who answer the phone are minimum wage winners.

You should talk to somebody who knows suspension, who has worked on DeCarbon design--that is what Bilsteins are, and were labeled as such until the patent ran out in Spring 1976.
No Volvo owner here really knows suspension...

Somebody must, but who? WHO?
WHO!!!???

Nobody is going to do them, eh?
Didya read Harribert's post?

Have a friend Brian Cary driving around with some DeCarbons I found in Tacoma Pull-a-part for 20 each which we sent away... came back all nice....longer travel than when they left, too.

Just curious: have you ever seen inside either a Bilstein or a Decarbon?
Just curious: have you ever read a post before writing a reply?

Not only have I seen inside of shocks, I've personally rebuilt countless Bilsteins, Penske's, Ohlins, Pro's and Afco's, but never a DeCarbon. Come to find out, you're not the only person around here that has worked on suspension components.

I never said nobody was going to do them, I said you have to find someone that's willing to mess with some goofy stuff that's not directly off the shelf. That's where you come into play. And also, like I very clearly stated, you may get lucky and be able to use parts such as shims from another shock. From what you said, this statement is also correct in that Bilstein parts work, if the designs are the same.

mAydAy;3257225[QUOTE said:
]Just curious: have you ever read a post before writing a reply?

Yeah, I read one that said "JVAB had some Decarbon ones done..."
So I responded...since I had.

Not only have I seen inside of shocks, I've personally rebuilt countless Bilsteins, Penske's, Ohlins, Pro's and Afco's, but never a DeCarbon. Come to find out, you're not the only person around here that has worked on suspension components.

You said
Nobody is going to have pistons or shims laying around to fit them and they aren't worth doing any custom work on.
Fatuous statement if you haven't been inside one, (how do you know that "nobody" will?) thus we conclude you 're just talking..
I never said nobody was going to do them, I said you have to find someone that's willing to mess with some goofy stuff that's not directly off the shelf.

How do you know the stuff isn't laying around on the shelf??

That's where you come into play. And also, like I very clearly stated, you may get lucky and be able to use parts such as shims from another shock. From what you said, this statement is also correct in that Bilstein parts work, if the designs are the same.

Your "goofy stuff' statement is pretty odd considering all monotube shocks are develoved from DeCarbon's original design and patent...and were labelled as such by law for decades.

That's the thing that gives some the idea that you may have worked on all kinds "countless' shocks but still don't know about where they came from.

Whatever, keep your shirt on and don't talk about specifics in declarative statements if you don't know what you're talking about?

I like your reply...
I am in the process of rebuilding a pair myself in Thailand, and they are not rocket science. Bit if I were in the States, I'd be sending them to you rather then going though this hassle (drilling/tapping the top hole for N2 pressurisation).

I like your reply...
I am in the process of rebuilding a pair myself in Thailand, and they are not rocket science. Bit if I were in the States, I'd be sending them to you rather then going though this hassle (drilling/tapping the top hole for N2 pressurisation).

I'd like to see the tooling they use to fill the inserts, I'm guessing it has something to do with that metal band near the top, it looks removable, but I don't want to try that on my good inserts !!

Back