• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

rear 740/940 full coilover

kinematics

Has anyone ever done this? Modify the rear end to accept a full coilover shock setup? Would like to see some pictures. Can you install a coilover in there upside down to fit inside the shock tower and fashion a mount at the bottom? :-P just curious. Educate me.

By full coilover shock setup I mean a coil OVER shock setup. Not an adjustable spring perch with separate damper.

coilovers4.jpg

Thank you. :)

Naw, I'm thinking about adapting WRX coilovers to my car and want to see if anyone else has done it. Those you linked me to run inverted and that is all I really need to know, if it can be done. Looks like it can be done so perhaps that is the path I am going to take as well. Or maybe I will do something different. That's the point of this forum isn't it, to have a discussion.

Wait a second. My head is packed wif snot and i can barely open my eyes without wincing but what you saying?

Don't get hung up on terminology, OK It only confuses and derails crap..

Coilover is anything when the coil goes over/around the shock/strut.
This is a coilover shock used on the back of a bunch of Volvos and Toyota RWD cars ANDS coil over STRUTS (and modded knuckkles)
JVABGittinToyotaAE86.jpg

Coilover shocks (these are swank aluminum 50mm Bilsteins)

TonyWaluminumcoilovers.jpg

These are Volvo 240 knuckles---which share the "ear" dimensions with Subie, you talking about modding your bottom knuckles?
JVABVolvo240knucklesB.jpg

What are you going on about in back..
That's real simple but probably seems a bit drastic for most of you guys...

Thanks john that's what I was looking for. Those knuckles would be great for up front on my car, basically I would like to be able to use Subie suspension components to bolt into my car, if possible. I mostly just wanted to see a discussion about it in this thread.

For the rear, what I'm asking is, is it possible to fab up something to make a subie coilover fit in the back as well? On the 7/9 the spring and strut are separate, but can the shock tower in back be modified to run a

bc_racing_coilovers_br-001.jpg

Can you install them upside down due to the nature of how the shock bolts in the back? Can the rear shock towers be modified to fit something like this properly? Or will I just be laughed at right here. :lol:

I don't think anyone has ever adapted Subaru coilovers to a 740.

You seem like a bright enough guy. You're not asking about time travel, squaring the circle, cold fusion, or P versus NP. This isn't rocket surgery. If you have the means and the will to do it, then let nothing but fear stand in your way.

I don't think anyone has ever adapted Subaru coilovers to a 740.

You seem like a bright enough guy. You're not asking about time travel, squaring the circle, cold fusion, or P versus NP. This isn't rocket surgery. If you have the means and the will to do it, then let nothing but fear stand in your way.

Or any coilovers? It doesn't matter, maybe I will do it. I can't fabricate but I have ideas. Will wait to see what John says.

Its my DD. Suspension was redesigned for more anti squat, but not a full drag setup.

It is my understanding that you can't run every strut/shock inverted. They have to be made with that capability, otherwise it screws with the dynamics of the unit.

Just a random thought, an Impreza is a lot lighter than a 740/940 Volvo. Why would you insist so much on running suspension parts off another make and model when others are suggesting alternatives that work...

The suspension on a 7/9 is just fine. When lowered you lose antisquat for forward traction, so I redid it to get it back when I installed a beefier rearend. The front you can get a Bilstein HD inverted strut and either run Bens stuff or install a sleeve yourself and have front coil overs too.

Cut, fab, reweld it.

Back