• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dad's New Car (first pics inside)

Slonik

So, my father got himself a new car. These are just pics that I took because I couldn't wait and had to make a thread. I'll get some better pictures a bit later with my friend's Canon 10D.

1999 Volvo V70R. Bought today. It has 39k miles and no problems. The previous owners are complete auto dolts but they did maintain it well. Never driven farther than Monterey, CA from the Bay Area. Mainly city driving, it was a mom with two kids. She babied it.

These people didn't even take some of the protective plastic off... they didn't know what a carfax is... they changed the oil at the dealer ONLY. Yeah.

His immediate plans for it: matching tires all around (previous owners suck), ipd sway bar front and rear, strut bar, upsolute chip, tint.

CIMG1387.jpg

CIMG1388.jpg

CIMG1390.jpg

CIMG1391.jpg

CIMG1389.jpg

choice_of_beverage said:
very very slick car. im jealous. how fun is it?

I don't know yet from a driver's standpoint... he drove it work. From a passenger standpoint... FUN. Scary too because you have nearly no idea how fast you're doing. Highway on ramp... push the gas a bit and HOLY **** 75.

Brickster151 said:
30% is better than no RWD.....

[I think it's 70/30 split, not 100% sure]

:-D That split is best on the Murcielago, but it's 70% rear 30% front [IIRC].

Very nice looking car. Did you guys in the US get the P1 V70R in manual form, or was it automatic only?

Also I've noticed that all the stock V70Rs in the US I've seen pics of had 16" wheels and a rather high ride height.
Were 17"s an option?

A good friend of mine has an orange '97 manual V70R, it came with 17" wheels and really low (stock) suspension, I'm just curious of the little differences.

ashvolvo said:
Very nice looking car. Did you guys in the US get the P1 V70R in manual form, or was it automatic only?

Also I've noticed that all the stock V70Rs in the US I've seen pics of had 16" wheels and a rather high ride height.
Were 17"s an option?

A good friend of mine has an orange '97 manual V70R, it came with 17" wheels and really low (stock) suspension, I'm just curious of the little differences.

A 1997? Weird. Yeah, we got some manual cars over here. Very limited though. We were going to look at a 2000 V70R with a manual but this came up first... that other one had a shady seller and had 91k miles.

I'm not exactly happy with the wheels. I would have liked for it to have Comets.

Slonik said:
A 1997? Weird. Yeah, we got some manual cars over here. Very limited though. We were going to look at a 2000 V70R with a manual but this came up first... that other one had a shady seller and had 91k miles.

I'm not exactly happy with the wheels. I would have liked for it to have Comets.

I'm almost 100% there were no P1 AWD V70R's in the US that came with manuals. Although, I do know of a black V70R in socal that was swapped over to an M66 [6spd from S60R]

Tell your dad to buy my wheels!

Brickster151 said:
I'm almost 100% there were no P1 AWD V70R's in the US that came with manuals. Although, I do know of a black V70R in socal that was swapped over to an M66 [6spd from S60R]

Tell your dad to buy my wheels!

The ad and the lady on the phone was sure that that car was a manual... I don't know if it was AWD though. I thought all Rs were AWD. No?

Slonik said:

Here's a link to pic of the car, taken on our way to the Australian national volvo rally in canberra last year.
It rained most of the way up, so cars look filthy.

http://www.volvovic.org.au/assets/gallery/canberra_rally_2004/pages/IMGP1292.htm

I'm driving up to visit him this weekend so could take some more photos and post them.
This one has a TME chip, MSD coil conversion, DVS strut brace and DVS sumpguard.

Slonik said:

The car looks great. I'm sure your dad is pleased. Wheels are easily changed, so Im sure something he likes will turn up.

ashvolvo said:
The car looks great. I'm sure your dad is pleased. Wheels are easily changed, so Im sure something he likes will turn up.

There's a shop around here called Rocketeer Performance, the owner of which I've met... he drives this completely modded 2000 saffron V70R. It's bloody fast. Good guy too. His shop will install the upsolute chip for us for $430.

xdelirious45x said:
Very Nice Car, BTW does it have an ETM? or Mechanical? I hope Mechanical but I know 99- and on I believe they started using the ETMs.

No, it's ETM. And yes, I am well aware that it'll break eventually.

I don't get that stuff. I mean, a mom with 2 kids who babied the car, why is she driving around in a V70R? You know what I am saying? Why didn't she get a V70GLT or something, it would probably have had better low end torque for all her city driving, and better gas mileage. She needs AWD for what... all the snow in the Bay area??? Maybe they bought it because it was the top of the line, because that makes so much sense.

That's great for your dad, because he's got a kick ass car now that has been babied so far. I love that car, I'm just glad that now someone will actually DRIVE it.

Oh, just out of curiousity, which pieces of protective plastic were still on there?

Greg

Greg Wong said:
I don't get that stuff. I mean, a mom with 2 kids who babied the car, why is she driving around in a V70R? You know what I am saying? Why didn't she get a V70GLT or something, it would probably have had better low end torque for all her city driving, and better gas mileage. She needs AWD for what... all the snow in the Bay area??? Maybe they bought it because it was the top of the line, because that makes so much sense.

That's great for your dad, because he's got a kick ass car now that has been babied so far. I love that car, I'm just glad that now someone will actually DRIVE it.

Oh, just out of curiousity, which pieces of protective plastic were still on there?

Greg

You know, from talking to these people, I came to the conclusion that they only bought it because it was the only V70 model that had seat memory... the husband currently drives a late 80s Accord and they just bought a huge Lexus SUV for the wife... to replace this car. I asked her why they're selling it and she said "it doesnt fit our lifestyle"... I just wish that she didnt scrape the sides of her garage with the mirrors... Ugh, women drivers. Haha.

When you open the door, under it, in the seam, is a little aluminum piece that says VOLVO on it... well, from the dealer/factory, it had this protective film over it... the driver's side was still on there. My dad took it off when he saw that it was peeling.

He won't even need the third-row seat, we'll sell it.

Back