• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

deff sorry about your loss bro. that was a gorgeous car. it hurts but its better that your still here bro. your deff a big contributor and a very knowledgeable person to the board. deff be a big loss bro if you didn't make it.

new beginnings are not always bad. heres to new adventures

I had this sort of peculiar feeling that the car was smashed before even opening the thread. I didn't know why...just a feeling. Shame since the front of the car had quite a lot of goodies. Was it repainted?

How did it happen? Did you set any sort of a value with the insurance co on it? I mean, naturally with any 240 it is worth more apart than together usually so one would probably buy it and strip it, but it would really suck if the insurance completely stiffs you out of decent money to properly replace it.

sad incident

I just checked this out. Glad to see both of you guys made it through that. The car did it's job well. I had a bad crash when I was young with my sister in the car. I caused it and have learned a lot from that day. Take care and I hope you heal up fast.

like every one elses says, glad to know your ok! and the volvo did it's job! which is the main thing! they are replaceable nomatter how rare or clean they are... get your chin up and build another! personal tip: get that one gone asap as it's presence will remid you, with it gone you can move on! i've learnt this as mine is still sat in the yard nearly a year after my accident and while ever it's been there i ain't forgotten!

Regards

Fordy

Sorry for both you and Don. I know you both really cared about that car. Glad you guys are OK. Life is about more than cars even though cars are a big part of our life.

Omg........This is not happening.

I just felt my heart sank when I saw the pictures.

I'm sooo sorry. I hope you get back up and running soon. This is terrable :-(

Perhaps I've missed the explanation, so if I have you'll have to excuse me, but you crossed the center line and hit someone head on?

If you have a bbq- even I might make it out. I remember the first day you got that car; like a kid in a candy shop :(

You'll recover and survive to build up another great 242 that you can enjoy. Just glad that your alive to tell the tale. Be safe and thank god you and Lanny were wearing seatbelts!

its better to live with a mistake than to die because of one.
Exactly. First off and most importantly, I'm glad that both of you guys are ok.

Having said that...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That car was beautiful.

Another silver 242... RIP...

Logan,

You've my condolences. I used to have an '82 242 that was also silver and also a flathood. Got totalled by a Dodge RAM that decided to turn left into the driver's fender. My car was still driveable, but, yes, the A pillar was a little misaligned, so I did tear it apart, then send the remains to the yard. Was tempted to get a fender, some bumper trim, a door, and a turn signal assembly to resurrect it, but I knew that it was time to let it go. It would've also needed some rear quarter damage fixed, since the truck pretty much rubbed the whole left side of the car as I was driving up a hill @ 35 mph. Guy didn't see me, due to the sun, I guess. Windshield was cracked prior to the wreck, but grew a couple more inches during the wreck.

Anyway, pix are below of my car, both prior to the accident, and post accident.

About eight months prior to the wreck:

242245.jpg

Olaf II - RIP 11/30/2002:

242damage.jpg

-J

Logan- The BBQ idea should be a good think. A few of us spending a day on the car could get you well on the way to your other 242 being done. The car took a hard hit and did it's job. You're OK so lets get a plan rolling to get the other car on the road. I'll give a day or 2 to the cause. Then there's Justin, Lan and anyone else who will come out.

Logan- The BBQ idea should be a good think. A few of us spending a day on the car could get you well on the way to your other 242 being done. The car took a hard hit and did it's job. You're OK so lets get a plan rolling to get the other car on the road. I'll give a day or 2 to the cause. Then there's Justin, Lan and anyone else who will come out.

Yeah, I could be persuaded to drive up for that.

If only to slap Logan around a bit ;-)

j/k - c'mon, ya' gotta' laugh to keep from cryin' :nod:

Your car was always Shifted Jr's favorite, with the "Cars" eyes and all (he's 9); he is as heartbroken as all the rest of us to see it in such a state. His first question was if you were O.K., and the fact that your Brick saved your lives made a real impression on him.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

thats just a mere flesh wound.. a new fender and door would have fixed that :grrr:

No way. Once the a-pillar is buckled, I call the car a write off. Gotta call it sometime. John's 244 didn't *look* that bad. Only had a crinkled fender, trashed front core support and very fatigued bumper, but the gearbox was misaligned, trunk no longer closed properly and some body cracks grew considerably. Also, the sill was dented enough that if it had gotten in another wreck, god help him or his passenger. It had taken one hit there at ~20-25MPH on the front left, then took another front end to the ditch at ~35mph more straight on but still front left. The firewall sealant also cracked in many places and the car felt "unsettled" at best going down the highway. My flexy flier never hit 240 had fatigue at the panels on the inner fender that needed attention. The more I poked at John's car before it went to the crusher, the better I felt persuading john to let it go (which believe me, I hated to say)...that it really was too far gone for anything but a really pretty significant body restoration where one straightens it and stitches it back together very carefully (lots and lots of time) is really what is needed.

Unless you have a cage and reinforced shell to where one can make sure the cage and structural mountings are good and just slice off the smashed bit and weld in a donor bit, I'd just let the bent likely ripped up car RIP.

You can always find another volvo. At some point something is really not safe or fit to be going down the road. Logan's car was really nice, but I wouldn't even try to save that. It is toast. It has a lot to give a good bodied 240.

pshh, thats way less damage than what my GT recived a month ago.. i would feel like poop letting that car hit the yard to easy to fix

Back