• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 245 speaker choice

apachechef

Burnt Sierra Madre
Looking for speakers to fit factory spaces, without cutting
want adult looking grilles (sedate, blends in, not entwined cocks and tits)
not looking for making the car a recording studio or competition piece.
Just basic, good stuff that won't f up the panel and easy to remove/replace.
thanks

If the backing plates are still in place, keep your eyes peeled for some pre-xPlod Sony speakers in the 5.25" size. Something like the XS-3029 or the XS-3051, etc... Those will look decent.

In the rear doors, a pair of 4" speakers will do the job.

-J

I have Pioneer speakers with the late speaker adaptor with the mesh removed. Works nice and sounds good. I'm not a musicphile though.

I got a second set of HT-204 mount plates and grilles for the back when I did the speakers in my '92 245. They're the ones that you use for 5.25" speakers, a decent step up from the 4" baskets found in most front and rear doors in my opinion. Running 5.25" JVCs in all 4 doors with a single sealed 10" shallow mount sub bolted to the floor in the back. I'd have got something bigger for a sedan but in a wagon I dont want to call too much attention to a sub in the back. It's pretty stealthy. The whole car is run off an old-ish-school PPI PC650 5-channel.

One bit of advice if you did go the HT-204 route, it's a PITA to rivet the speaker cage to the door so I used some small machine bolts and lock washers and that really tightened up the fitment.

Whenever I get around to installing the power mirrors I'm going to get component speakers for the front and hopefully use the mirror adjuster "blank" plates for the tweeter mounts. Sounds really good as-is but could be a lot better with a more forward mounted sound stage and having angled tweeters facing you would do just that.

If the backing plates are still in place, keep your eyes peeled for some pre-xPlod Sony speakers in the 5.25" size. Something like the XS-3029 or the XS-3051, etc... Those will look decent.

In the rear doors, a pair of 4" speakers will do the job.

-J
That looks great, but I guess manual window crank clearance would be a concern? I've got some Pioneer 4"s in the front and the window crank barely has clearance already.

It's *real* close, but HT-204s do clear manual window cranks as long as your cranks aren't too wobbly. Might be able to add a washer to space it out a little and guarantee clearance, but it hasn't been a problem (at least, for me) on my '80-with-'86-panels.

I'm doing stereo stuff on my '93 ... literally later this week! Going to try and HT-204 some Pioneer 3-ways in the front, and do some measurements and improvisation in the back. We'll see how that goes ?\_(ツ)_/?

The cranks will clear the grilles for the HT-204 speakers. But, not the HT-205 speakers used in the 1993 models (grille will be unmarked). In my blue 245, I'll probably use some 5.25" Pioneers behind the 204 grilles I have. The blue cone TS-G1340R, 1345, and 1347 fit fine and don't have a foam surround that'll contact the grille.

-J

The cranks will clear the grilles for the HT-204 speakers. But, not the HT-205 speakers used in the 1993 models (grille will be unmarked). In my blue 245, I'll probably use some 5.25" Pioneers behind the 204 grilles I have. The blue cone TS-G1340R, 1345, and 1347 fit fine and don't have a foam surround that'll contact the grille.

-J
I wondered why neither speaker cover had a label on it! I just figured they got worn off over time. My driver side was busted when I got the car (file under, hashtag $400 shell problems) and it's a power window car (for now, at least) anyways. They seriously don't look any different from the earlier part, without holding them up side-by-side.

Yeah, it's only when you look at them closely, when you discover that the grille is slightly thicker to clear the tweeter of the 205 speaker.

-J

-J

cool, need to check the stash to see this difference and make a plan, thanks

I dug up an HT-204 I had spare. Some observations:
  • The backing plates are identical, casting and part number
  • The covers are identical castings...
  • ...but different part numbers, along with a taller grilles on the 205
  • The HT-204's cover seems to clear the factory 2-way just fine
  • The HT-205's cover doesn't provide enough clearance to fit Pioneer 3-ways (without modification, that is)

Back