• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

700 center vent as gauge pod(s)

grnmachine02

Indicating?
Any 700 folks using center vents as gauge pods? Not like nathans pod (which is awesome) but using the actual vents. I'm gonna give it a try, but I fell like the vents will be just a bit too small.

something like this
318950_x600.jpg

Last edited:
When I bought my car, it had AFR and boost gauges in the LH vent. The directional vent was removed and the little turny wheel as well. The vent surround had been 'slightly' filed/ground to better fit the gauges, but there was no gauge surround as such, they were just friction fit and the surround cracked where it was hacked. It sucked the fat one really, but that may have been this implementation.

Pros are that it was obviously dead easy to get wiring to the gauges with just a single 1/2" hole in the vent chamber to get to the area beside the dash cluster, and it did put the gauges in a very visible spot.

I've since removed the gauges and turned it back into a regular vent. The places where the surround was damaged are almost not visible any more.

With some time and effort in making a gauge surround to fit the hole, it could be a great place for gauges. I'll see if I've got any pictures of how it was.

you'd have to cut a 2" hole through the vanes, then epoxy a 2" tube in there and sand it down to feather it in and its gonna be a lot of work.

the vent pod youre showing was a molded one piece item.

you'd have to cut a 2" hole through the vanes, then epoxy a 2" tube in there and sand it down to feather it in and its gonna be a lot of work.

the vent pod youre showing was a molded one piece item.

I know that's a molded piece, I also know i'd have to epoxy a tube in there. I was just curious if anyone on here had done it. It can't be that hard, if the guys on sweedespeed can do it to an s60r, so can I :lol: I'm gonna try and do it this weekend. I'm more afraid of the vent not being big enough, then the work involved

edit: Just realized that came off a little dickish, not my intent!

Last edited:
Get rid of the radio cubby hole and replace with the HVAC controls. Then you can fit 3 gauges in that spot below the vents.

I wonder if a new alum tri, pc can be made to house the radio and heater controls, so it all sits flush like factory.

I've been toying with the idea of where to mount my boost gauge for a while now. I've decided to remove my instrument cluster, cut out the opening for the gauge in the center of the clock (left of the speedo) and then install a solid black platic disc on top of the clock lettering to block it out. It won't look factory but it'll be a lot cleaner than I think those you guys are posting.

I've been toying with the idea of where to mount my boost gauge for a while now. I've decided to remove my instrument cluster, cut out the opening for the gauge in the center of the clock (left of the speedo) and then install a solid black platic disc on top of the clock lettering to block it out. It won't look factory but it'll be a lot cleaner than I think those you guys are posting.

That's where mine is now and i'm moving it. It looks great, but I'm pretty sure that holesawing through the cluster some time ago is what is making mine flake out now.

2012-11-01_06-58-54_943.jpg

2012-11-01_06-58-43_44.jpg

Last edited:
In my 745 I have installed the 2-din section of a 780, which allows for a 1-din stereo and whatever you like below it. I used the space for the instrument cluster of a 480 Turbo.

34g54t5.jpg

In my wife's 945 I used the same 780 frame and put in a small compartment for storage. Here you could also put in any gauges you would like.

23rabnt.jpg

Or just redo the whole cluster and make it more badass.

IMG_20110211_210001-1.jpg

IMG_20110211_223513.jpg

Back