• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Changing speakers on a 940 turbo

A

Anonymous

I just bought my first volvo, a 92 940 turbo. I LOVE IT, except the stereo sucks. I already swapped the stock head unit with an aftermarket one and I ran my wiring for an amp but now I have some issues.

Issue 1. How do I run the wires to the trunk? Do I take the seat off? If so how?

Issue 2. Do I have to remove the top panel in the back to change the rear speakers? Once again How do I do this.

and Issue 3. How do I change the front door panel speakers? Do the grills come off? Or do I have to remove the entire door panel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

well, congrats to you, I think you picked one of the most difficult to explain jobs on that car. Ok, so here is what I remember on it, I forgot how to take off the back part of the bottom, but, the front part of the bottom needs to be pushed down about an inch, and back as well, then it comes out of this hook thing in which the wire of the seat is connected. (confused yet???) then the top part of the upper part of the seat is removed by raising the middle head rest, then taking off that plastic panel. Take out those torx screws, and remove the head rest. Then the bottom part of the back part of the seat is removed by bending up those clamps at the base of the seat, and removing those bands around them. Then the back part of the seat must be pushed upwards to get it out of the clamps holding in the top part of the back.
At this point the entire back seat should be off the car except for the middle armrest. Then you can remove three torx screws holding in the rear shelf, and finally get to the speakers.
If you actually understood this I would be very impressed, I have no idea how to explain it better, maybe someone else could help ya :roll:
Good Luck, you'll need it
Kirk

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any other ideas or ways to make it easier Im all ears.

Thanks again

Jay

it is sorta a pain in the butt...but...here goes my attempt to explain the job...i have a 93 940t that had blowen rear speakers i swaped out in aprox 50min...step 1) lift up rear center head reast and un bolt...set aside...2) un bolt and remove the other two head reasts..3) lift out bottom of rear seat...4) lift and pry up the small metal tab honding down the bottom of the rear seat back 5) grab the seat back piece and move it up and down...move it around and it will finally come "un-hooked" off of the top, rear metal clip...once off, you can look and see how it works...you can't see ^%$# until it is off though...you have to just move it around, up and down...it finally opooed off...6) get one of those funny screw driver heads and remove the est 4-6 small screws along the lip of the deck..7) pop off the speaker cover and your all set to replace / remove...to re assy...just do the reverse...good luck!! i read about it in my haynes manual...let us know how it goes...how do you like the car, so far?

richard / colorado

one more question...do you have one of the factory amps/boosters mounted on the underside of the rear deck...visible from the trunk area? are these any good...? did you replace yours? if so, w/what? my stero system sounds pretty crappy...i think it is all factory / stock .. except for the rear speakers i installed...and a volvo cd changer i bought...thanx...richard / colorado

I had the amp under the steering column but I by passed it. If you buy your wiring harness and you have 2 connectors you can lengthen the wires on your wiring harness to reach the amp under the steering column unplug the original plug and plug in your new head unit to the wiring that you just took off of the amp. My Brother told me that he thinks they sell an adapter so that you can use the amp with your new setup.

Back