• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Redblock AW transmission to whiteblock AW bellhousing?

Mattis

Hi.
As the title says. Has it been done, or can it be done?

Helping out a friend thats gonna put a b6304 into a volvo 164, and he wants to stay automatic..

The donor had a questionable transmission.

So we're looking for alternatives, preferably something that just bolts on to the bellhousing, and old redblock transmissions came to mind

I don't remember anything about the old redblock AWs, but I remember some of them had a detachable bellhousing.. wich ones? And do they share the bolt pattern with the AW 30-43?

Or are there other alternatives that don't need a bunch of wiring?

Thanks

Maybe someone has done it, but I don't see why would you. You'd have to make a bellhousing by joining new and old, drill new holes into the flexplate for the torque converter and machine a sleeve to center the torque converter to the crank.

I would buy another whiteblock AW if the current one isn't good. Not much more wiring to do than with just the engine.

The old AW7x boxes don't have the same bellhousing pattern at all. It's been attempted in the past, but they're 100% incompatible.

The AW30-40 probably just needs new clutches, and that's pretty easy to do.

We're still in the brainstorming/bench racing phase, so mostly just throwing options around here :)

I agree that maybe finding a better/fixing the old box is probably the way to go

So in short.. You can not swap the bellhousing on an AW7* with the bellhousing from the whitblock box?

We're still in the brainstorming/bench racing phase, so mostly just throwing options around here :)

I agree that maybe finding a better/fixing the old box is probably the way to go

So in short.. You can not swap the bellhousing on an AW7* with the bellhousing from the whitblock box?

no. its the same 'shape' but the pattern is shrunk down and the aw71 bellhousing is extended.

An AW4 from a RWD Jeep Cherokee or RWD Jeep Commanche pick up is compatible with the bellhousing from a 960 trans. The transmission controls from the AW4 may also be easier to adapt.

Looks like it will be swapped with another stock box..

But was wondering if any one has continued the development on the flappy paddle controller the poi made once upon a time?

I converted the schematic to a PCB to make it easier to build.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349801

0YhBjDVv_o.jpg

I have a couple PCBs left, but you'll need a Parallax board to finish it off.

Maybe someone has done it, but I don't see why would you. You'd have to make a bellhousing by joining new and old, drill new holes into the flexplate for the torque converter and machine a sleeve to center the torque converter to the crank.

I would buy another whiteblock AW if the current one isn't good. Not much more wiring to do than with just the engine.

Toni had AW72 with B6304 in his 245. He used KL-Racing adapter plate.

Back