• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SeanHodgins 1981 242 GLT

Picked up a donor car or sorts.

Donor-1.jpg

89 240 wagon manual. $250.
I'm taking the strut housings, some area around the windshield, the NEW windshield, bumpers, rear axle, bell housing, and maybe front end pieces.

Anyone need any parts?
It has the Non-AC power steering pump setup. Good tailgate, The m47 will be available, as well as the pedal cluster and anything else someone would need for a swap(both cars are manual).
Ill get some better pics today.

Went to the states and grabbed some parts!
Still need more next week ahh.

Parts-1.jpg

Bling!

Parts-2.jpg

Parts-3.jpg

The flywheel must have got in contact with some moisture along the way, rust developed, can I just emery pad it off with some WD-40 or something?

The flywheel must have got in contact with some moisture along the way, rust developed, can I just emery pad it off with some WD-40 or something?

Yea that should be fine just make sure you that you thoroughly clean it with a solvent before you install your clutch.

front fenders, lower core support, headlight support-ey bits. I have a flathood that was once maroon, and a 242 that is maroon, and want to do a cheap/wont-be-pissed-at-drift-damage euro group A look.

Okay, That means you want the later style right, its an 89.

I need to find a flathood, if you find one ill trade the front end of this for it haha

Even if you don't find it, I don't think ill be using it, as much as I want it to look great, I may have to hold off on a facelift to save time to get it going. So I should still have it in the spring. I'm not sure how good the lower core support is. Surprisingly the splash guard is 100% intact, but I don't think Ill get rid of it, heh

I need to find a flathood, if you find one ill trade the front end of this for it haha
I'm not giving mine up, and jen'd be pissed if she came out one morning to her US Group A homo car with a coffin hood on it lol. quantity over quality? I have 3 spare coffin hoods... :-P

I'm not sure how good the lower core support is.

bound to be better than mine. it's seen a stopped sunfire at 45kph, and numerous trees and ditches from 15-60 kph all less than a km from home :lol: "oh,someone's bound to be home, and we have all manner of rescue vehicles, there isn't a soul for 3km radius...ENGAGE DRIFT MODE"

it'd get put on the track car anyway, which methinks is getting plastidipped. mayhaps.

I'm not giving mine up, and jen'd be pissed if she came out one morning to her US Group A homo car with a coffin hood on it lol. quantity over quality? I have 3 spare coffin hoods... :-P

Haha find me one, theres too many in Ottawa! Hey, think of it like this, you find one, Ill drive up and bring you any parts you need and pick it up. :)

The color on that wagon is legit

Everyone loves the colour. I brought it back and everyone is like "So is this the new project?" and I have to correct them saying its a donor for the special 242, wagons are a dime a dozen!
"But the wagon looks so awesome! you should fix that one" :grrr:

It was actually painted not too long ago, and I agree the colour is awesome. But the body is just as bad as the 242, and I don't want to track a wagon.

Just don't, I like wagons, and I think they are useful and cool looking, but If I'm stripping out and caging a car, I would rather it be an old 242.

The owner of the wagon gave me this.

Chiltons.jpg

Really cool old guy, reminded me so much of how my grandpa was. The book says rare $10 haha

I was just buggin about the wagon. But everyone does the 242 >_>

(not to say I don't...I just like the wagon more)

not "everyone" does the 242. B-dub did a wagon first, so did cameron. they both did top shelf builds, then moved on to top shelf builds of 242's. No volvo I build will ever be top shelf. especially not my 242. drive it till it breaks, park it till I can afford to fix it, fix it haphazardly over triple the time it should take to do the job. repeat.

Also, wow that thing's rusty. Is the motor any good? LH swap stuff intact? I see nothing plugged into the injectors...??

A ton of stuff missing from it, haven't really looked, but I think some of the harness and computer is gone, but EZK is in there.

So, I bought some of that "ChemDip" stuff, and wow its the best. I know people on here have used it I think, but really look at these damn oil squirters before and after.
This stuff.
Chem-Dip.gif

So...

Oil Squirters before.
Cleaned-4.jpg

And after... They just soaked, and came out like that.
Cleaned-2.jpg

I've been soaking all the shims and stuff form all the motors I have so I will have a fresh random assortment of clean shims to do my cam.

Cleaned-3.jpg

I even put a oil pump in it, and It looks brand new, even though I bought a new one, just crazy to see what this stuff can do. Going to be putting all the 13mm rods in there, so they're like new if someone wants to buy them.

Sweet lookin project Sean. What are the floors like on the wagon? Are you using donor floors and metal from that one? Should be a good project, but worth it to see an actual 242 on the roads in Ontario.

Where did you buy Chem Dip? I've got to track some down for myself

Hey man!

Uhh, Floors are toast I'm pretty sure, I'm going to do my own floor out of sheet metal. Yeah not many non rusted out 242s thats for sure.

ChemDip I bought in the walmart in Niagara Falls, NY, I go there like every week picking up packages. Ill probably get more of it tomorrow hahaha

Two questions,

1) Is there a better way to seat the middle bearing for the intermediate shaft? I got the small end one in using a socket, but the middle one is awkward, I messed one up already and had to get another, thats why there have been no posts! That and its too cold to work on the chassis.

2)The plug for the rear hole of the intermediate shaft, where do I get one? or what size is it? Ill assume that I shouldn't reuse the one I popped out.

Back