• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

BBS Rc090 on a 240 adapter size?

kuzzy13

So i have looked around before making this thread but i am still stuck on what size to use. I purchased a set of 17" Bmw bbs rc090 et20 for a good deal, and now looking to put them on my 242. My first option was to redrill them to 5x108, from the factory size 5x120, but i can not find a local shop in my city that is willing to re drill more than 8mm from the factory size. I could redrill my hubs and rotors, but im thinking that getting adapters would be much easier. Now i am stuck with what size to get, as the 240 is +20et and my rims are et20.

3E6314DD-FCB0-4607-B21A-0210F68D1618_zpskemekbfu.jpg

I just want my rims and wheels to clear so that they dont rub on the inside. I have no problem with rolling my fenders. Just looking for suggestions.

Motorsport tech can make adapters that are 15mm thats what I just ordered, not sure that it will for sure clear but maybe!

I had mine redrilled and they fit perfectly on the front. I don't think that even 15mm adapters would look right on the front, as mine already sit pretty flush. Then again, maybe people like more poke these days?

The rear is another story. I would love for mine to be spaced out another 1", but they function perfectly like this, and already required rolling the fender lips:

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

The thing about redrilling is that you don't drill the holes in the same location as the other holes. Style5s have a solid hub, so you can redrill a whole new lug pattern inbetween the others. That's how it's typically done on Rc090s. Like this:

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

IMG_8144.jpg

It might be worth sharing these pics with the shops you talked to, and seeing if they could quote doing it this way.

I had mine redrilled and they fit perfectly on the front. I don't think that even 15mm adapters would look right on the front, as mine already sit pretty flush. Then again, maybe people like more poke these days?

The rear is another story. I would love for mine to be spaced out another 1", but they function perfectly like this, and already required rolling the fender lips:

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

The thing about redrilling is that you don't drill the holes in the same location as the other holes. Style5s have a solid hub, so you can redrill a whole new lug pattern inbetween the others. That's how it's typically done on Rc090s. Like this:

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

IMG_8144.jpg

It might be worth sharing these pics with the shops you talked to, and seeing if they could quote doing it this way.

that is awesome fitment, I'm not a fan of poke loke the look!

Check out http://ewheelworks.us for info on redrilling. Essentially you take the faces out, mail them to him, and for a significant amount of money he will send you back something that is worth more than your car. (Source: he took a lot of my money. Still worth it.)

From what I was told, drilling in the spots where there were no holes originally without filling the original holes can reduce the integrity of the wheel. For that reason it is usually preferred to fill and redrill.

As far as adapters, you definitely do not want anything less than 19mm thick. These wheels do not have offset holes drilled for stud reliefs, so you have to cut your factory wheel studs in order to use an adapter that thin. 15mm adapters would not leave enough thread engagement between the adapter and hub.

I used 19mm adapters on my car up until I decided to get the wheels redone. It's a 740, but it might give you an idea of what you're looking for. Link in signature.

From what I was told, drilling in the spots where there were no holes originally without filling the original holes can reduce the integrity of the wheel. For that reason it is usually preferred to fill and redrill.

I call bullshiit.

I also would offer that wheel adapters, while I have no problem in the world with them and have run them even on autocross cars, are inherently more dangerous than redrilled wheels.

I call bullshiit.

I also would offer that wheel adapters, while I have no problem in the world with them and have run them even on autocross cars, are inherently more dangerous than redrilled wheels.

Just repeating what I was told. As long as a proper lug insert is used it should be fine I'd think.

I had proper Motorsport-tech adapters and still had issues with steering wheel vibrations. That and the desire to run larger tires influenced my decision.

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

IMG_8144.jpg

Yeah i seen your build thread on your 242, and i love it. You're car is looking good. So you just have the rims redrilled, and no spacers? How is the clearance there?

Check out http://ewheelworks.us for info on redrilling. Essentially you take the faces out, mail them to him, and for a significant amount of money he will send you back something that is worth more than your car. (Source: he took a lot of my money. Still worth it.)

As far as adapters, you definitely do not want anything less than 19mm thick. These wheels do not have offset holes drilled for stud reliefs, so you have to cut your factory wheel studs in order to use an adapter that thin. 15mm adapters would not leave enough thread engagement between the adapter and hub.

I used 19mm adapters on my car up until I decided to get the wheels redone. It's a 740, but it might give you an idea of what you're looking for. Link in signature.

Thanks for the link, and I have heard about that website before, and i just sent them an email. Now im waiting for them to get back to me. Im just wondering how much it would cost to get them redrilled though.

redrill is much easier, but won't look, or be as flush as if you ran adapters. If you run adapters you'll have to cut the studs as the back face where the wheel mounts to the hub is completely flat, and the stock studs will hit the back of the wheel. Wheels don't have recesses like most wheels do. Major downside of swapping these on.

Yeah i seen your build thread on your 242, and i love it. You're car is looking good. So you just have the rims redrilled, and no spacers? How is the clearance there?

Thanks man!!

Yup, just redrilled and bolted directly on, no spacers. Clearance is as good as it gets. I did have to roll the fender lips, but that's to be expected with wide tires and the fit is great otherwise. For looks, I wouldn't mind the tears sitting an inch further spaced out, though.

Just repeating what I was told. As long as a proper lug insert is used it should be fine I'd think.

I had proper Motorsport-tech adapters and still had issues with steering wheel vibrations. That and the desire to run larger tires influenced my decision.

Maybe the shop was trying to make some extra money?

There are plenty of wheels on the market that have dual bolt patterns from the factory, and since the factory drilled the holes I see no difference.

If it was a 4 to 5 redrill or something that the original holes are somehow comprimised I could see the need for welding.

Thanks for the link, and I have heard about that website before, and i just sent them an email. Now im waiting for them to get back to me. Im just wondering how much it would cost to get them redrilled though.

Fill/redrill is $500
Powdercoating is $300
Shipping each way ~$80
Paint matching center caps or have him convert the wheels to use RS center caps $$-$$$

$500 for redrilling? that is insane, I paid maybe $150 to get all 5 of my style 5's redrilled to 5x108.

Either way if anyone needs wheel redrilled here in AZ I know of two people and places that can either fill and redrill or just redrill.

Back