home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-22-2018, 01:21 AM   #251
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quick update, I've had some time to make some more progress. The bulkhead closing panel is now welded and finished off.

The welding.

Backside.

A little grinding later and we have a nicely finished panel. I'll have to do the other side. It's more corroded on the pillar, so I'll take it all off and do it again.

The floor was next. A little more fitting and it's all welded in place.

A little grinding and this panel is done...again.

That's looking a lot better.

Pedal box corners welded up and ready to mount. Finally.

Adjusted the fit to the firewall for the last time. This is how close it is...honest. No screws this time.

Pedal mount plate and stiffening/closing panel. Painted inside and out. It's the details that take the time.

The "exposed" nuts go inside the frame, then you can see how this part welds to the frame and the floor. That'll make it as stiff as needed.

I've still got a test fit or two coming up - need to get a false floor in the drivers side and test the pedals while seated in the car to make sure I like it. Then we can move on to other things like the drive line tunnel.

1966 Canadian (B5234T, C4 up front, Supra out back and a nut in the middle) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
1981 242 (B230FT, LH 2.4...and a few other things)

YouTube channel covering Canadian build https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx...n3CiBQFd4rMyXw
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #252
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Here's the video that relates to the above post...still making progress people.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #253
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

It's time to get some seat belts in this thing. I need to make sure of the belt receiver buckle before I finish the drive line tunnel, so in go the seats and I did a little test fit.

That's going to work. Feels really good - shifter is in the right place, pedals feel good.

I started with the rear belts...just to get them done. I'm not going with any stockish placement. I built these adapter brackets.

They're held in with some nut plates welded to the parcel shelf.

Tada - done. These belts don't have a shoulder loop and will be covered eventually.

Next, I needed some anchor plates for back and front.

A little TIG practice.

Couple of holes and a little more welding and bingo - we're installed in the back.

These get added to the B pillar - the spacer keeps the webbing off the bodywork.

Now, the front belts are installed.

Now, I can finally get the drive line tunnel done. So a little layout work.

Some bead rolling.

And BAM - we've got a tunnel.

Looks good to me.

Clearance is good.

Side view - very happy with the way it turned out.

That's it for this update. Tune in on the YouTube channel if you want more details.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #254
SML
Board Member

That tunnel puts the Volvo sheet metal around it to shame. Put a frame around it, man. That's a dem fine piece.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #255
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
That tunnel puts the Volvo sheet metal around it to shame. Put a frame around it, man. That's a dem fine piece.
Thanks - Upon reflection, I probably should have crafted the trans tunnel. Would have been easier. Still a lot of work to do to get this interior sheet metal wrapped up. I was hoping to be done this week, but that just didn't happen.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #256
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Old 01-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #257
moise
Board Member

thanks for all videos!!
moise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #258
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by moise View Post
thanks for all videos!!
Thank you for watching. It's a lot of fun to learn how to put this stuff together. I'm happy someone is tuning in to watch.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #259
R32RennSport
Board Member

Well isn't this nifty. Just read through the whole story (slow at work today). Very impressive, not just the scope of the build but your craftsmanship in particular. I used to work for a company here in central California that did fabrication/frame conversions similar to Art Morrison, in fact they were our direct competitor in the market at the time (he was much better at marketing his product then us and eventually the shop closed it's doors). I can really appreciate what's being done here, especially out of a personal garage none the less.

I had the owners son do all the quick patch work on my floors. He's a much better fabricator then what he did for me, I just told him to do it quick and dirty for some trade work on his Baja beetle brakes, afterall my car is and will never be a show car. By the way, I have good connections with said shop and have a nearly endless supply source of C4 components since they never liquidated, kept everything for spares for clients (they are also about 20 minutes from my house).

1966 Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf, 2001 BMW 525it Sport, 2001 Chevy 1500
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #260
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Well isn't this nifty. Just read through the whole story (slow at work today). Very impressive, not just the scope of the build but your craftsmanship in particular. I used to work for a company here in central California that did fabrication/frame conversions similar to Art Morrison, in fact they were our direct competitor in the market at the time (he was much better at marketing his product then us and eventually the shop closed it's doors). I can really appreciate what's being done here, especially out of a personal garage none the less.

I had the owners son do all the quick patch work on my floors. He's a much better fabricator then what he did for me, I just told him to do it quick and dirty for some trade work on his Baja beetle brakes, afterall my car is and will never be a show car. By the way, I have good connections with said shop and have a nearly endless supply source of C4 components since they never liquidated, kept everything for spares for clients (they are also about 20 minutes from my house).
Newman Car Creations? I've seen that frame - nice looking work. Thanks for the complements - sometimes I'm not sure anyone reads this thread. I'm just plugging away in my garage trying to stay motivated to keep pushing. Most of the times the steps are pretty small, but forward progress is being made.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #261
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Update time...hey, if you've never tuned into the YouTube channel, have a gander. There are worse ways to waste your time.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #262
R32RennSport
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Newman Car Creations? I've seen that frame - nice looking work. Thanks for the complements - sometimes I'm not sure anyone reads this thread. I'm just plugging away in my garage trying to stay motivated to keep pushing. Most of the times the steps are pretty small, but forward progress is being made.

Yep, Newman Car Creations. Worked there for a few years during their highest production years when we were churning out 20 to 30 frames a year. I wasn't a fabricator though, my main duties were rebuilding the suspension subassemblies and installing them on the chassis as well as doing alignments and corner balancing on completed client cars.

They've done a bunch of special "one off" projects throughout the years (trucks and cars) for both clients and personal cars. Paul Newman (not of actor/racing fame) got his start building Pike's Peak chassis with Porsche power including the one currently in Bruce Canepa's collection that he raced in 1979.

I'll keep following all the updates, this is a very interesting build to say the least.
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #263
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
- sometimes I'm not sure anyone reads this thread. I'm just plugging away in my garage trying to stay motivated to keep pushing. Most of the times the steps are pretty small, but forward progress is being made.
It is a great thread. My boys Amazon will never be this cool, but it gives me inspiration nonetheless!
Some day we will start on his.
Keep up the good work! ( Great work!!)
242, https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344891
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #264
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Nicely done Craig! I salute your dedication to sheet metal perfection..... I don't have the time to read all your threads from the beginning of this car, but 2 quick questions:

1. What engine management will you use for the whiteblock?
2. Where did you develop all these metal skills? I'm presuming this hobby work has spilled over from your 8-5 life.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #265
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
It is a great thread. My boys Amazon will never be this cool, but it gives me inspiration nonetheless!
Some day we will start on his.
Keep up the good work! ( Great work!!)
Thanks - I draw inspiration from all the great build threads going on these days in the forum. I just wish I knew how to move a little faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Nicely done Craig! I salute your dedication to sheet metal perfection..... I don't have the time to read all your threads from the beginning of this car, but 2 quick questions:

1. What engine management will you use for the whiteblock?
2. Where did you develop all these metal skills? I'm presuming this hobby work has spilled over from your 8-5 life.
EMS is not finalized just yet - but most likely MS3Pro. I've never done a stand alone from scratch before...so that'll be an adventure.

Funny enough, my hobby is in direct and rather stark contrast to my day job...I'm a university professor. My Dad owned a machine shop - I swept the floors and cleaned the toilets from the age of 7 (child labour laws didn't exist). I would work summers as a welder/fabricator when I was in university. My sheet metal "skills" are all self-taught. I read a lot of books.