• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Typical '97 945 Turbo

sweeeeeet

HqonYa3.jpg

#cloutgang

Oh I didn't know cast manifolds didn't like thermal wrap. I'll be taking it off then! My downpipe is already wrapped. Thanks all you guys for the heads up.

Meanwhile, fitted the TTV billet flywheel and 850R clutch. Flywheel has to be half the weight of old double mass one!
eg7XdEH.jpg

And then chucked the engine back in.
jxXVESo.jpg

(You can see my homemade grill replacing the old chrome one)

Sadly though, the car doesn't start.. It has no spark. I suspect I've damaged my EZK board when re-wiring the wasted spark board to it. Can I somehow test my EZK box with a multimeter? Is it possible for LH2.4 to not make a spark at all if the flywheel/timing is off?

Otherwise, checked all connections thorougly, as well as grounds that I'm aware of. Spark plugs, spark plug wires and coil pack are all new. Using a second hand Miata powerunit, but unlikely it just stopped working with the engine out of the car.
Suggestions more then welcome! :-(

It should spark with the flywheel off but not at the right time obviously.
Have you tested all connections with a digital multimeter? First thing I would suspect is that Miata power unit. Did you pick coil pack with the right dwell?

It's all in the wasted spark FAQ though, I assume you've looked at it already for fault tracing.

Btw nice flywheel and stuff! I went for the cheap route and just used a heavy m47 dogdish flywheel, that ttv is definitely gonna give a nicer throttle response

It should spark with the flywheel off but not at the right time obviously.
Have you tested all connections with a digital multimeter? First thing I would suspect is that Miata power unit. Did you pick coil pack with the right dwell?

It's all in the wasted spark FAQ though, I assume you've looked at it already for fault tracing.

Btw nice flywheel and stuff! I went for the cheap route and just used a heavy m47 dogdish flywheel, that ttv is definitely gonna give a nicer throttle response

It runs ! Had an issue with wiring up the wasted spark board that I didn't notice. I'm starting to learn that ignition issues are very often simpler then it may seem at first haha.

Need to bleed clutch and take care of a water leak where the water pump meets the head and it'll be ready to hit the road. I can already tell the starter motor cranks the engine noticeably faster with the lighter flywheel. Lost ~150 rpm's to my idle speed as well, so adjusted that back to 900 rpm.
Can you tell I'm excited to hit the road?

Hokaaaay so,

Bled the clutch, took care of my water leak and finished up the bracket for my new wastegate. It's now a car again! I'm currently at 9 psi, just to get things running and check for potential issues.

Heres how my wastegate actuator bracket looks like. Made out of an aluminium tab I had laying around.
To mount it on the turbo I used one of the original bolt holes for the stock 15g actuator and then drilled (very slowly) and threaded in where the model designation plaque would be for a second mounting point. Making brackets is actually sick aha!
gaTSyqN.jpg

Painted it heat resistant black.
eaWyX6W.jpg

The good news is zero leaks, starts right up (quicker then it ever has, maybe just because of lighter flywheel?) and comes in to boost nicely. It feels as quick now with the 15g and 531 head + VX3 cam @ 9 psi then it did before when stock @ 13/14 psi, which is encouraging.

However, I'm currently running a ClassicSwede "stage 2" fuel chip for a B230ft, and up to 4000 rpm the AFR's are nice at around 11/12, but above that it slowly gets richer, to the point where it'll dip under the 10's around redline. This isn't related to the fact that my engine is a B200ft is it?
In the meantime I think I'm gonna put my stock chip back in and live with a 12 psi fuel cut.

In any case, here it is in the south of France's sun as of today!
kJOGiwG.jpg

Time for an update I guess then!

Since last time I've mainly been putting miles on the car and upgrading what I break along the way.

-Updated my whole suspension, got rid of my chopped front springs with diesel ones with new Monroe inserts. Same treatment for the rear but with Koni Yellow's and HD springs. Rides and corners much better!

-My cheap lambda sensor pooped itself so replaced it with an OEM Bosch sensor from a mustang 5.0 and wired it in the stock Volvo connector. They're the same sensor but with a big price difference (guess which on is cheaper).

-Added a USB port with an integrated voltmeter on a switched circuit wired straight on the battery for the back seats, so my rear passengers have a place to charge their phone. Also for me when camping and sleeping in the back. That way I don't have to turn the ignition on for it to work and it allows me to see the charge of the battery so I avoid draining it.

-Overhauled the whole handbrake assembly with new parts everywhere.

-Last but not least charged the AC. I've never been in a car that blows this cold now!

All of this was in preparation my big "Eurotour" that I do every summer with my friends for downhill skateboarding competitions.

This year I got the upgrade of a roof box for a less cramped cabin as their's 4 or 5 of us in the car with all our gear!
I camp in the car for a month. As of right now I'm writing this from the back of the car in the middle of Italy.
Never thought I'd make it this far because last week I blew up my differential dropping the clutch at ~5k rpm hehehehe
I was lost somewhere in Czech Republic with my beloved broken Volvo.
Luckily enough, Sir JerryJS8 had a 4.10 1041 lying around 3 hours away from me. So I borrowed a mates car and drove to Germany to pick it up.

nwlG0l3.jpg

31IGehf.jpg

24 hours later it officially replaced my dead 3.73 1031 and I was back on the road!

kkDC9Gh.jpg

Suuuuch a relief to know I could continue the tour keep on racing.
Hopefully things work out from now on.

Oh and going from 3.73 to 4.10 really helps this little 2.0 when it's not in boost, makes for a much more enjoyable and "peppy" car when in town. And I've only gained about 400 rpm in 5th on the highway which hasn't affected my fuel consumption to badly. With the added benefit of the G80 for better skids hehehe
Thanks again JerryJS8!

V1br9NI.jpg

Love the wagon! I've thought about switching to 4.10 for that reason, driving in town...but I told myself the highway would suck. And didnt do it.

Love the wagon! I've thought about switching to 4.10 for that reason, driving in town...but I told myself the highway would suck. And didnt do it.

I just did 3000 km's of highway driving across europe and it's definitely OK with the m90. The extra driveability in town is 110% worth it I'd say.

Wait, what? You had a car lift you help you out? ;-)

Your pictures make me want to do a road trip as well, but not in the heatwave we've got going on right now! As far as your sportiv activities, do you happen to have any helmet cam footage of your downhill competitions !?!?!?

But very glad the swap ended up also being an upgrade :rockon:

Wait, what? You had a car lift you help you out? ;-)

Your pictures make me want to do a road trip as well, but not in the heatwave we've got going on right now! As far as your sportiv activities, do you happen to have any helmet cam footage of your downhill competitions !?!?!?

But very glad the swap ended up also being an upgrade :rockon:

Hehe yes I chickened out of doing it on my back in a grass field. Was a good decision though!

Here's a quick video or my friend who travelled in the 940 this year. This was last year's event, but give's you a good idea of how it works!
https://youtu.be/aVzDyswTAgo

And honestly, I'd encourage anyone to take their brick out for a roadtrip. Drive somewhere you've never been before. You actually build such a strong bond with the car. Awesome times!

Last edited:
Got rear ended, car's totalled, fml

F95LNSU.jpg

I was slowing down because of the car in front was turning into a side road, the dude behind came full steam under the pouring rain, wasn't looking ahead, rammed me into the ditch where a tree kindly stopped me.

sp0Izy3.jpg

The chassis in the rear is collapsed, the driver side doors struggle to open, rear one won't at all and the back seats where folded down during the crash, now they're like an inch away from being able to latch back up. Sad.

I guess it did it's job, considering how fast the dude hit me and how totalled his car was, the fact that I didn't get hurt is nice.

Now, onto new Volvo projects!

Time for take n?2 !

After waiting for five months for the right example to pop up for sale, I travelled to the other side of France to pick this one up.

DAKoTn0.jpg

1997 Turbo 940
B230FK
M90L2
1041 G80 Rear axle

She'd been thoroughly run in, but had solid bones and was of the right spec so I brought it back home. So glad to be driving a brick again!
After all I already had all the parts needed to make it into my roadtripping, tail happy, sleeper weapon of a camper for all my skateboard related trips.

A few things needed to be addressed first.
The speedo was intermittently working, mainly not at all though. Stole the cluster from my totalled 940, a recurring theme in my work as you'll see, and swapped the parts I needed.
O3Q4C3f.jpg

Next issue, the engine wouldn't build any temp in it during these cold winter months. I stole a floor mat from the rear to stick in front of the radiator on my drive home after purchasing the car to try to get it to warm up a bit. Worked nicely, but once home I pulled out the thermostat and sure enough it was broken.
QCg833O.jpg

Once again it's broken predecessor supplied the fix. I had put in a new thermostat weeks before the crash.

Two of the door speakers were torn, threw in the ones I had in the old wagon. Some basic 6 inch two way speakers that barely fit underneath the stock covers without alot of trimming, but they fit!
dQEdEvC.jpg

Took care of other small issues, driver's seat lumbar support not working, no reverse lights, rear window washer spray mal-functionning etc.

Once all that was done and I had a solid working Volvo I gave the whole car a quick detail.

Before:
wpmYnWu.jpg

After:
uZC5G6W.jpg

uQZvB55.jpg

At this point I've still done no actual maintenance on the car. Because I have so many parts to install on it I'll just be doing it all at the same time. Effectively doing a stage zero as well as performance mods in one go on all the different areas of the car.

For example, rear suspension.
Some of the parts waiting for it:
K44gknT.jpg

All installed with Kaplhenke coilover spring perches and 200 lbs springs:
eyh5Z2X.jpg

Brakes discs & pads, dampers & springs, panhard bar and antiroll bar all at once.

The front end got the same treatment, bar spring & dampers as I'm waiting to make coilovers with 275 lbs springs to match the rear, courtesy of Kaplhenke as well.

Engine bay got a strut bar and AEM dry cone filter for turbo noises (hate me).
MdfqbXN.jpg

And that was all I had time to do in 5 days time before taking a plane back to London where I'm living at the moment. I've ordered so many parts for this new project, I'm hyped on having learned from the mistakes on my previous brick and am making sure this one is going to be modded as cleanly and seriously as I can. Only quality (and expensive RIP me) parts will touch this car !
I'd love to go out on track days eventually with this one, kind of building it all with that in mind.

A last picture of it in the mediteranean sun!
KEcM70Q.jpg

Plans for the car

Engine:
-15G Turbo
-Lightly ported 531 head with 38mm exhaust valves
-Ford Cosworth 803 low impedance 390cc injectors
-Higher lift cam? Probably gonna be VX3 for now because free
-KL Racing 60mm intercooler w/ D088 silicone couplers
-3 inch exhaust
-Wasted Spark
-AEM Wideband & GFB G-Force 3 boost controller

Drivetrain: