• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 turbo manual conversion questions !

titoburito

Hello everyone ! I know there is many post about a 1989 740 turbo manual conversion, but they seem to never cover the question I have ! Here the situation:

I have a 1989 volvo 740 turbo lh2.2 automatic and a 1983 volvo 242 lh2.0 manual.
I want to take the M46 transmission as well as the flywheel, bellhousing,master cylinder and pedal box from my 242, buy a new clutch kit and put it in my 740.

My question is: Is it possible to use an lh2.0 M46 and flywheel for a b230ft lh2.2 ? I know there is a sensor that goes on the bellhousing for the lh2.4 style wich male it incompatible, but what about an lh2.0 and lh2.2 as well as The M46 is weak and I know it but will it mechanicaly work on a b230ft anyway ?

Thanks alot for your time

Pedals won't work. Flywheel and trans will work but shift linkage needs swapped out for the 740 version.

Thanks for your answer !
The pedal wont work in , it wont mount properly or in the brake pedal is too big to just use the clutch pedal from the 240 ? And also, there is no way I can use my 240 shift linkage or thw automatic transmission one ?

The 740 clutch pedal is completely different, also the 240s used a cable clutch while the 740 Turbo cars were hydraulic, at least in the US. The 740 shift linkage is longer and places the shifter in a different location than in the 240, also the driveshaft is different, you will need a 740 manual driveshaft, at least the front part.

Put the B230FT in the 242, and forget about trying to find those unicorn 740 stick shift parts.

Never done a full engine swap before. If im correct from the research ive done. I will need a custom downpipe, new exhaust that will fit a turbo engine, either move the distributor or cut the firewall, what about all the coolant line oil and coolant from the turbo ? And I guess I can just use the ecu from the 740

The 740 clutch pedal is completely different, also the 240s used a cable clutch while the 740 Turbo cars were hydraulic, at least in the US. The 740 shift linkage is longer and places the shifter in a different location than in the 240, also the driveshaft is different, you will need a 740 manual driveshaft, at least the front part.

And quick question, please enlight me im confuse. If I take EVERYTHING transmission related from the 242 M46 wich use a clutch wire and I put it in my 740 why it wouldn't work ? Custom drive shaft from a shop and I can weld and extend my shift linkage or make a hole in the floor if it's too short and for the pedal box my 242 clutch is wire and it fit my M46 currently in it so if I take everything and just install it in my 740 ? Or im missing aomething ?

Thanks for all your answer and time btw !!

A 240 manual transmission pedal box looks like this:

IMG_2312_zps5ff79d37.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A 740 manual transmission pedal box looks like this.

IMG_1849_zpssdqydmzh.jpg

Completely different animal.

A 240 manual transmission pedal box looks like this:

IMG_2312_zps5ff79d37.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A 740 manual transmission pedal box looks like this.

IMG_1849_zpssdqydmzh.jpg

Completely different animal.

I understand, thanks alot for the photo ! Can't I just shove the 242 clutch assembly in the 740 instead ? Completely replace it ?

What do you mean shove the clutch assembly? The pedals from a 240 won't fit in a 740, it would be easier to custom fabricate something from scratch. You're proposing a very big project, much harder than a simple engine swap, unless you can find 700 series manual parts.

What do you mean shove the clutch assembly? The pedals from a 240 won't fit in a 740, it would be easier to custom fabricate something from scratch. You're proposing a very big project, much harder than a simple engine swap, unless you can find 700 series manual parts.

I was thinking of cutting the 240 clutch portion of the assembly and weld it next to the 740 brake assembly in my 740 automatic, so this way i can use the 240 wire clutch pedal on the 740, you think it would work ?

Back