• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

F*&k, S%$t

760 Sleeper

Well,
I blew up my motor tonight on my 88 764, She had 202k on the clock. THe temp was about -20F ambient, I'm cruising on the highway @55, gove her about 13psi and KABOOM. Immediately, I think ****, I blew the motor up. I stopped, then noticed a trail of oild spewing from the motor, pop the hoood and I have a gaping hole in between the 4th cylinder and the starter. Why would it blow up? I was only at 2/3 throttle. Too cold?

anywho, I'm 18 and about ready for college and I need a reliable car. My dad wants me to get a NA... less parts, reliablility.
So, I found a 93 854 NA with 170K for $2k, I'll call in the morning. OR I can get a 94 944 w/150k, turbo for $2400.
Which route should I take?

944. '93 850's are...weird. 4-bolt wheels, larger, one-off front end, and I think they use some version of LH as well? 944's were well sorted in '94, 850's were *brand new* in '93. You do the math.

edit: OR get an engine for ~$250 and drop it in in a weekend. Cheaper than 2k, anyway. B23FT would drop right in.

Last edited:
swap in a new motor...$500 or less, and a weekend of your time.

get a lowish mileage 90+ block, and you'll be fine for another 100K miles easy

850 and reliable? :lol:

probobly detonation due to bad fuel atomization
and or bad luck?

i got a 93 60k squirter motor installed into my 91 for $225 and a weekend of fun

p.s. post pics of the ventilated goodness

200k, it could be almost anything. Swap the motor, it's better than starting all over again, unless the rest of the car sucks. I blew the first motor in my 88 765 5 days before xmas, and did the swap ( I had a rebuilt short block ) in 36 hours in an unheated garage. Too old to do that now, but I'll be buried in that car, so the swap was worth it. If the 944 is clean that's the one to get. I agree that 93 850's are dicey. Tell dad that 850 parts make turbo bits look like they are free.

RY

im in your area, and ive been seeing a 94 944t for $1495 on craigslist. is this the one your talking about? i was actually gonna go check that car out.

blown engine

Well, you wrote that you are ready for college. So get some schooling under your belt and swap an engine into your car. :-P

If you are going to bail out on the car and need the cheapest most reliable then the 944 normally aspirated is a good choice. However, you'll still have to buy at least one of these three things for the 944. Tires, battery, exhaust, and whatever else the car needs. However, your present car is a known quantity that for $1k or probably less you can put a good engine in and be back on the road.

Oh, and why is this in showroom if you aren't going to post any pictures of the carnage?

Last edited:
94 850's aren't really that bad, a 94.5 is the same as a 95, and the earlier 94's just look a little different. Some of the turbos have a few little issues but nothing really. The 93's are hard to get parts for because of the 4 lug and they have trans issues.

Get the 944 though, an 850N/A isn't going to be as much fun.

New cars are the top 3.
1)my favorite-97 850 T5-130K, $4000
2)95 960 6cylinder-196K-$2500
3) 94 940 Turbo-153K,$2300

Wasn't 96,97 the best years of 850, what does the T5 indicate...trans, the turbo
type?
The thing is that I want a car that will last me 6 or more years, not a bandaid like my dad wants. I figure I can talk down the guy at least a couple hundred. I will miss RWD, but I can keep the turbo.

Could my engine have blown as a result of the switch from dino to moblil 1 synthetic. A good friend of mine thinks I may have plugged an oil valley. I switched about 15K miles ago. It was -15F when she blew.

well its your move, but

New cars are the top 3.
1)my favorite-97 850 T5-130K, $4000
2)95 960 6cylinder-196K-$2500
3) 94 940 Turbo-153K,$2300

Wasn't 96,97 the best years of 850, what does the T5 indicate...trans, the turbo
type?
The thing is that I want a car that will last me 6 or more years, not a bandaid like my dad wants. I figure I can talk down the guy at least a couple hundred. I will miss RWD, but I can keep the turbo.

in your shoes and you want reliability and cost of ownership savings, i jump on the 94 940 turbo.
i never had a 850 turbo or NA but i considered one and did some reasearch.
the 960s have issues of their own, my opinion stay away.
gotta love them red blocks.
im not slamming the above cars, just my 1/2 cent.

85 240 turbo = quick 225,000
95 940 turbo = sweet 118,000

blown engine

Could my engine have blown as a result of the switch from dino to moblil 1 synthetic. A good friend of mine thinks I may have plugged an oil valley. I switched about 15K miles ago. It was -15F when she blew.

Did you change the oil since putting in the synthetic? If not you may have blown up the engine due to not changing your oil. Contrary to what it might say on the bottle. You can't extend your oil changes when you goto synthetic. Also since synthetic does have a tendency to clean the inside of the engine. The first time you use synthetic it's a good idea to change the oil after only a couple thousand miles. That way any of the gook or crap it might break free will hopefully be flushed out. If you used the same oil for 15k miles who knows how much gook and crap was moving around inside the engine.

You basically can only extend the oil change interval when you filter the oil better than a stock oil filter. Using something like an Amsoil filter for example.

Anyway, just be prepared to take care of the needs of whatever replacement car you buy. Tuning it up, replacing, tires, battery, or exhaust. You want to get whatever car it is on your maintenence plan not an unknown one.

Back