• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Roof racks on 242's, pic/info request

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I found out today that my 17" R spare tire does not fit in a '78 242, fits fine in the 79....And yes I need a 17" spare. So I thought that going on longer trips, it would be nice to stick the spare on the roof instead of the back seat. Of course I want it to be removed easily because I don't take many long trips.

Interested in seeing what they look like and exactly what they are (brand/model).

Thanks!

Fr30e7zl.jpg

Ah gotcha. Looks really good! I definitely don't have the skills to weld that up, and my woodworking skills are even worse. Wanna make another one? Haha

Basically what your '79 242 would look like if it were painted black, had a front spoiler, and a Yakima rack with two bike mounts and an old school Yakima BasketCase luggage basket installed. For the '78, flathood and single round it...

I have been thinking about a lot lately. I was going to start searching to see if there was anyone who could build me a custom one for my wagon and my 242. I would love one that I could set a tent up on too for camping trips.

If I remember correctly, Yakima themselves has at least one tent option available. I'm sure Thule has one as well. So, you mght look into those.

Back