• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle242GT's 1959 5.044

Disc - assumed to be an OEM pan gasket spacer that somehow got into an oil gallery. Calling Fox Mulder...?
Ring - gasket spacer from current rubber gasket that fell in during teardown.

New oil pump and shaft in, reassembled, reinstalled. Went really smoothly, which is both surprising given the fact that it was "engineered" by a moron (me), and unsurprising: with no front sheetmetal on the car, it's pretty easy to reach everything.

Started right up.

Now what?

Disc - assumed to be an OEM pan gasket spacer that somehow got into an oil gallery. Calling Fox Mulder...?
Ring - gasket spacer from current rubber gasket that fell in during teardown.
Wow. Wouldn't any foreign object have needed to get past the filter screen? Just getting into an oil gallery wouldn't be enough. Even if it dropped down backwards into the pump outlet side when powered down, once it's running the outlet pressure would send it to jam up something else instead. (You did say it happened while running, yes?) I don't see how it could jam a pump unless it entered through the suction side, but the screen looks intact. Pure voodoo. Again, wow.

Now what?
If you're playing a game of "fix whatever might give you trouble next", take a look at the distributor? especially if it's got 30 year-old grease on the shaft. I redid one not long ago and was surprised to discover that the shaft is not splash-oiled (even though there's lots of oil nearby.) Wish I'd thought to put a torque wrench on it to get a reading of the dried grease -- to say it didn't spin freely is an understatement. If it's got a 30 yr-old Hall Effect sensor, you might want to swap that out also. A royal pain, you cannot get to it until you drive out roll pins, press off the gear, dismantle the entire thing? why Ford made it so difficult is anybody's guess... and then of course there's the challenge of finding a Made In USA part that's worth the effort.

Now what?

If you're playing a game of "fix whatever might give you trouble next", take a look at the distributor…

...actually, I was more thinking of what to do with the car in general, once it's back in one piece. Kind of done with it, and though it's a neat piece of my life, I don't really have the space to keep it for sentimental (more like just plain "mental") reasons.

I did find that the input to the diff is hitting the floor under hard acceleration (is there any other kind). Lo and behold, the diff is angled upward pretty noticeably, a far cry from the near-level it was when I put it together. So... something's out of whack. I suspect the upper mount is deforming the floor pan, but haven't looked at it yet.

Fixed the diff issue. The upper link (see this post for visual aids) is held together with nuts on either end. The forward side nuts were finger loose!!

Took it apart, cut the inside rubber block about 1/8", moved that to the outside, shimmed the nuts for extra pressure, and tightened the hell out of it.

Whomp whomp whomp, hard launch, burnout shift into second, no contact, just a lot of laughter.

Now to fix a broken swaybar mount.

I did find that the input to the diff is hitting the floor under hard acceleration (is there any other kind).

You break more stuff than most of us ever build in the first place. Yes, that's a compliment. :-P

There can be other kinds of acceleration, but it's unlikely with 5.0 temptation/encouragement. Back in the day (and perhaps even now), I think the cops knew every Mustang in town. Even if the driver isn't behaving like a maniac at that moment, they assumed it was only a matter of time. I remember getting followed a lot, usually for no reason I could ascertain.

Ordinarily I'd think a Volvo ought to offer a bit more immunity from harassment... but probably not with those tires. Not to mention the need to cut engine as you coasted past them? :lol:

road test review

This thing runs like a chicken with the Colonel after it! :lol:

Not that I'm surprised. Mechanically, it's nearly identical to the Mustang 5.0 that I drove every day for over a decade, except for being 1000 lbs lighter and having essentially no exhaust system. And the fact that it's been messed with... apparently the donor Mustang was a breeding ground for modifications -- I don't blame Kyle for screwing that up; he just used what was there. He claims he's no engineer, but I see no glaring fault with any of his work, and the thing does feel relatively stable on the road. Heck, the fact that this crazy machine can withstand the abuse that he and his brother dish out, that speaks volumes.

The "driving" experience, if you can use that verb for what this car does, was a bit limited. My sweetie (intrepid soul) decided it would be fun to come along... even though I warned her that the experience would be very similar to Bill Cosby's description of "200 mph". (If you don't know that sketch, you owe it to yourself to spend 23 minutes now. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YotlNRCrFbQ] Yes, now. My tale will still be visible here when you return... assuming you've wiped the tears of laughter out of your eyes.)

Yep, his description is exactly what this car was like. Earplugs, vroom, launch, holy %$#@. Since it's prudent to learn a car's idiosyncrasies before pushing to the limits, I took things as gently as the car allows -- which isn't much. I distinctly remember that even a stock Mustang can be a bit difficult to launch smoothly, because the Ford clutch has a very narrow "slippage spot", so the leg has to remember with great precision. But for this one, I'm assuming it must be the BBK clutch quadrant that transforms the pedal into a binary control. Add a slightly sticky throttle and it roars to 2k at the tiniest provocation. All that together? One moment it's at a standstill, the next moment it has lurched 20 feet forward. When we got back, it made me feel a little better to see that Kyle had just as much trouble moving it across his driveway as I did.

After a half mile of very little drama (except for alerting all the neighbors of our presence), I realized the controls worked pretty well, it seemed to go where pointed and stop when asked, a couple of gentle pushes into part-throttle convinced me there would be plenty of excitement available, and my Sweetie said, "I hope you don't need to do that too many more times?" I said I haven't even really tried it out yet. She said she kinda wished it had headrests. Oops, forgot that any change in velocity needs a warning. At the next red light, I contemplated suggesting she brace herself for the green, but God presented a different opinion. In my rearview, a fat-tired something (Crown Victoria?) with a pillar-mounted spotlight and a bumper pushbar came gliding up behind us. Can't tell if it's a civilian or an unmarked, but for sure, this isn't the best time to see if we can do wheelies.

But let's be honest, except when under the watchful eye of certain well-dressed personnel, the driver of a beast like this isn't going to care one whit about a gentle departure. In current condition, this car speaks to the inner teenager. (It would likely speak to the actual teenager, but therein lies the irony -- if you present a machine capable of really stupid things, the results are a foregone conclusion.) Or maybe it needs the macho dude who swaggers into every establishment announcing his arrival. Even the most mild-mannered folk need that ability once in a while, but every time? I dunno, I get much more of a giggle with the "walk softly and carry a big stick" approach.

About the only real "fault" I could find was the recirculating ball steering which is normally a delight. To me, it feels like someone adjusted the sector to try to reduce center slop and subsequently made the rest of the travel feel unbelievably tight. Navigation at parking lot speeds is an understandable challenge, but it should lighten up when rolling. This thing was a truck at any speed whatsoever. Actually, it was more like a truck missing a power steering belt. Worse than the Volvo manual rack in my Dad's old 240 at a standstill, which is saying a lot.

The cabin is pleasing, other than the doors which won't close unless you slam them like they owe you money, but that ought to be an easy adjustment. Seats don't slide well either, but same story, just needs TLC. Visibility is nice, plenty of head room, and as usual, all the ergonomics in a 60s car just feel "right". Window cranks work nicely, with a much more reasonable number of revolutions "lock to lock" than Volvo built into their 240 (which I recall might have been about 7. Didn't measure this one, but I'd guess more like 4. Nice to know that Volvo used to know how to build doors.) I'm impressed by the feel and look of the Volvo turn signal switch on the Ford column, especially with the added high beam function that I wasn't expecting that stalk to provide. I would need to reshape the trans tunnel a bit to make room for my wide toes, but that's been a predictable challenge most of my life.

It looks right. Did the rears originally have the chrome trim that the fronts have? If so, Are you planning to replace it to retain uber-sleeper status?
Sleeper... well... there is the whole thing about it being a foot wider than stock and having not a whole lot in the way of exhaust.
Prettying the car up goes against its very own principle.

All of that's true, for the current build path. Anyone who appreciates a Rat Rod ought to be very happy with this -- jump on it!

As for me, I would need to go a whole different direction -- I don't see how 1940s styling could blend in as a sleeper even if totally stock, but I'd certainly head toward that. I can't justify having a once-in-a-while car, so it needs to be something I would enjoy getting in every day. That's going to take a lot more work than I currently have time/space for. It'll have to wait until we've finished fixing the house and move in, at the very least. Even then, I'll need to decide if I'd be willing to trade my 30-yr-old daily driver for a 60-yr old DD. Strange that parts availability is probably better. The insane horsepower is an undeniable attraction, but having it behave nicely when not on the throttle, that's what makes the rest of the experience downright divine. There's clearly an opportunity to improve that, not to mention bring NVH more in line with a Volvo. I do wonder about the occupant safety, since I suspect this was made before Volvo started designing crumple zones. I suppose one could install a hidden roll cage... but perhaps that pushes the ridiculous envelope even further. Bumpers are of limited value in today's world when even the average Subaru Forester bumper is half a foot higher. The only real solution is to drive very, very carefully and paint it bright red.

Maybe my end result would be somewhere between these two shiny examples, but with slightly fatter tires? I dunno...

Or maybe it just needs to continue being the insane machine that it is, with an owner who relishes that. I'll be curious to see.

Attachments

• Volvo-PV544-red-compare.jpg
    Volvo-PV544-red-compare.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 288
  • Volvo-PV544-Kyle-family-chalkboard.jpg
    Volvo-PV544-Kyle-family-chalkboard.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 289
My want for this is insane but unfortunately I'm at the opposite corner of the continent. GLWS, I hope it's a member here who will update as more s*** breaks

Thanks for the review, Toybox. Sorry you didn't get to thrash on it, that's where it really shines. Agree that the car really is an answer in search of a question.

Alternator was indeed dead (new development) so have a replacement en route.
Steering is a little tight at the limits of travel, even while in the air. Frankly, I didn't notice it before, but can now. Thanks, I guess? :lol: There's still input play at both ends, so I don't think it's an overtight gear adjustment. Dunno. It's such a dramatic improvement from the rack-and-pinion I had in there, I'm satisfied!

Chalk art has of course washed off. Playing with the idea of removing the spikes and putting the trim on, maybe repainting (reprimering) while I'm at it. Chalkboard green might be fun.

Time for bittersweet closure on a decade of my life. Through this time, I learned to weld, form, hammer & dolly, which I'd never done with any skill before. I also upped my game on wiring, plumbing, and general hotrodder engineering.

I got into this as I gave serious thought to building a Factory Five Type 65 or 1818, and realized I could use some fab skills. I think I can call that mission accomplished.

So it's not all bad.

But once done, other than the silly factor, it wasn't a terribly fun or practical car to spend much time driving. Like Legos, once the build is done, I kind of lose interest.

Having come to the realization that it was time to move on, I very briefly considered selling it; Had one TBer come look, but not for him, which I totally get. Then comes the thought of selling it on CL or similar. And the thought of a buyer killing himself and having angry heirs blame my butchery for their despondence, I became more and more at sea with how to actually divest myself of this thing. Signed disclaimer to "never ever drive"? Part it out?

The other weekend, I had to move some cars around to get our V70 on the lift. So I took it for a romp around the block. Going around a turn, hit some water on cold tires right about the time I decided to give it some go, and ... well ...

About 10mph up a curb. If I was un(der)-insured (or still wanted to futz around with it),I'd have hammered it straight and moved on. Sure it didn't quite steer straight any more, but did it ever really?

However, being on an zero-deductible agreed-value auto policy, I put in a claim. Adjuster came out, got an estimate for 5,333 to repair (vs my 5K value), so that's all she wrote.

Check's in the mail.

Final drive was to take kiddos to school, after which I did a block-long burnout. Seemed a fitting send off, and it always did do nice straight burnouts.

Honestly, 5K is almost certainly more than I could have sold it for. Although it sucks to crash and kill a car, there are those who'd argue that I killed it back on page 4. And man did I have a lot of fun and learn a lot. And honestly, I bet I came out just about even on the cost of the thing... even if I include labor at 17?/hr.

Attachments

• pole (Medium).jpg
    pole (Medium).jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 214
  • front (Medium).jpg
    front (Medium).jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 215
  • side (Medium).jpg
    side (Medium).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 217
  • truck1 (Medium).jpg
    truck1 (Medium).jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 215
  • truck2 (Medium).jpg
    truck2 (Medium).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 214
Boy can i relate!
I suppose when one door closes another opens or some such bull****. :)
Thanks for sharing this thread with us, been fun to watch!

It has been a great thread and at least it got some pretty cool attention before ending its fate sooner. Sounds like the PV also served as a great project to learn new skills....nothing wrong with that!

I think that was a good path to letting it go. They aren't going to crush it. They will ship it to Mexico or somewhere that someone new can have fun with it. Thanks for sharing all the trials and challenges and I wish you well with the rest of the fleet.

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words. Sort of expected to get :mods: yelled at :mods:

It's definitely fixable, hell, the tow driver was drooling over it before I even showed him what was under the hood.

Still, it felt a little like taking a dog to the pound instead of training the damn thing. :e-shrug:

Not sure what life holds next. Pondering doing the body/paint on my Buick, but ugh, I hate finish work (which I suppose this thread has illustrated nicely :lol: )

Whelp at least you weren't injured :-P
Damage looked worse the second time I looked at pics.
Felt a little froggy that day or something ?

* Strange looking abandoned property and fence, can you sue ?

$5k for this thing is a come up.
:cameron: that was its agreed value. :neener: :lol:

Whelp at least you weren't injured :-P
Damage looked worse the second time I looked at pics.
Felt a little froggy that day or something ?

* Strange looking abandoned property and fence, can you sue ?
Sue? Sheesh, I'm glad the horse I spooked with my nonsense didn't break a leg. The property isn't abandoned, but it's definitely... "legacy". Yooge custom homes on one side, oddball spec on the other, older ranch-style houses on 1/2ac lots the rest of the way down the street.

The only way to drive that car is with a bee in one's bonnet. I got stung.

Who was the agreed value policy with? Couldn't you buy it back?
Hagerty. Yep, salvage value was 1,300, and I toyed with buying it back. Then I came to my senses. Sure it was worth that and then some, but ... so what? Then I'd be right back where I was, with a ratty roddy thing that I didn't really want to play with any more.

Back