• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Nice work, looks really clean! How's the sound now with 2 mufflers?

It is so much better. It has all the same qualities that it did with a single muffler (other than losing a tiny bit of rasp that I didn't like previously) but it's just quieter all around. It doesn't seem quiet at all. Now it just seems right. It feels much more refined.

Interesting sub...Woofer/Amp combo?

Exhaust sounds great! Long trip ahead, very cool!

Yeah, it's an "all-in-one" powered unit. Nothing special, but it doesn't take up much space and sounds decent to fill out the low end. If I were looking now I would likely have gone a different direction, but this will do just fine until I get bored and want another project or something quits.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RW10CA-Profile-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B019Z3R582?th=1

You?re gonna do that in a 240?! You guys are nuts :lol:

Once you get west of Minnesota, the roads are so smooth and idyllic. So much nicer than driving around here. I can't wait.

This is about the same length as my iPd trip several years ago, and the car is much much nicer now. However my wife wasn't with me last time...

I'm continuing on with Davis roadtrip prep, meanwhile crossing my fingers that the show happens.

edit: turns out the show is canceled. guess I need a new motivator.

I modified the transmission crossmember to get exhaust clearance, access to getrag oil drain plug, and strengthen it a bit. Not pretty, but it will do the job until I feel like tackling a from-scratch crossmember.

Fits great. Tons of clearance now and it doesn't flex like it did.

49671281757_f648632602_b.jpg

49670451743_205d5cb5e1_b.jpg

After that, I took the car out for a test drive, which ended up being very satisfying. The car feels great at 15ish psi. Needs boost control tuning, but it's plenty fun already.

49670450573_08ed1e8d84_b.jpg

49670452033_c23c943952_b.jpg

I picked up V2 QSRC's from Ben, as well as a set of GAZ GOLD coilovers from Classic Swede. I had been waiting a couple months for the coilovers to be built and arrive. Lo and behold they arrived on day 1 of the work-from-home mandate.

49670451653_21d2f022a0_b.jpg

The V2 QRSC have adjustable Ackerman, as provisioned by these alignment plates.

Note for myself (and anyone else who buys these, because it's not documented anywhere): Per Ben, V2 QRSCs have 5 degrees built into the plate with 1 notch when used with the middle tie rod hole. The notches (1,2,3,4) represent angular displacement from 0 towards the outside, with 1 notch being the plate that matches "stock" Ackerman.

49670451873_48f17f32c2_b.jpg

From there I set about ripping the existing setup out (Koni race struts in shortened strut tubes).

49670455378_68dbb6790f_b.jpg

Quick shot of the setup I'll be running. GAZ GOLD coilover with 450lb main spring, helper spring and the same group a++ top mounts I was running.

49670995681_77cd145514_b.jpg

Comparison of old and new. The Koni are very short, IIRC 3.5-3.75" shorter than stock. The GAZ are about an inch longer, which should better suit my ride height.

49671281467_38910c1523_b.jpg

Before fitting the new coilover in place, I scraped off a bunch of old, cooked undercoat and replaced it with a couple fresh coats for good measure.

49671610591_d1fefa0325_b.jpg

Gratuitous shot of new endlink and the wonderful adjustment knob on the GAZ body.

49671071678_448bdcf410_b.jpg

This week I'll finish putting everything back together. Taking a bit longer than I planned, but I want everything to be nice and fresh. No need to rush with snow in the forecast again.

Last edited:
Thanks, all! The next meet I have in mind is Carlisle, but we'll see if that gets cancelled also. I would actually love to drive this down to the southeast. I've never been.

Or there's the VCOA national meet in Gettysburg in October. I'm planning the 20 hour drive there if it's a go. My first 242 trip to that side of the country.

Not much info posted anywhere yet, but it's in Rolling and the eRolling emails they send out periodically. Here's one.
--------------------

VCOA National Meet 2020
Location - Gettysburg, PA
Dates: Oct 8-12, 2020
Hotel will honor these rates for up to 3 nights before and/or after the event dates.
Book online HERE
Or by Phone: 717-339-0020, using option "3".
Use phone to arrange booking when extending your stay on either end.

Well, the suspension is all back together with the GAZ coilovers and fresh brake pads. The GAZ gold coilovers have far far better street manners than the Koni Race struts—they really aren’t even comparable. I stripped the peeling paint off of the calipers, revealing the charcoal anodized finish beneath, and finished things off with fresh decals.

Untitled by Tom Elmendorf, on Flickr

With that done, I’m turning toward all of the little details and tweaks that turn it into what will hopefully be a nice, refined car. So, basically not a 240 :lol:

Next of the little details was adding hood insulation.

Untitled by Tom Elmendorf, on Flickr

I have quite a long list to get through, but most of it will be much more enjoyable than a lot of the maddening troubleshooting I’ve been up to for the past few years. At some point I need to tune this on a dyno. Also need to get it in for a proper alignment soon. So much to do, but 240 nirvana is within reach now.

Such a fantastic car. I'm glad you stuck with it, a lot of people would have given up during all that frustration.

I have the same GAZ struts on my car. Love them. I will be installing BNE's QSRC pieces as soon as I get some camber plates. Thanks for the explanation about the Ackermann bracket settings. I was curious and couldn't find any info.

Back