• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Replacement 240 wagon taillight lenses

MalibuLX3

I'm looking for some new taillight lenses for my 1992 240. My existing lenses are faded, cracked, and chipped, and in need to replacement to match my fancy new ecode headlight.

I've seen some complete aftermarket taillights, but haven't seen any reviews on the quality. I've read some bad stories of melting housings, and I don't want hat to happen to me. I'm wondering, since it's just the lense that need to be replaced, and the housing is presumably fine, can I replace just the lense on my existing taillights? I haven't seen just lenses for sale yet, but maybe they're out there.

Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions on quality replacement wagon taillights? I wouldn't mind used, as long as they're in good condition.

I've never attempted, but getting old lenses off and new ones on looks to be more trouble than it's worth. As far as aftermarket goes, I've got some DJ Auto ones but the housings have been melting on both sides. Note that the lens is NOT melting, the housing is, implying that the metal contacts on the lights are the problem and creating heat (crap material -> high resistance -> high heat *physics!) So I wonder if you got some DJ Auto ones and just replaced the metal contacts they supplied with the OE ones you'd be in better shape. Unfortunately I'll never know, one of my bulbs is stuck in place so when it burns out I will once again be crossing this bridge.

I've never attempted, but getting old lenses off and new ones on looks to be more trouble than it's worth. As far as aftermarket goes, I've got some DJ Auto ones but the housings have been melting on both sides. Note that the lens is NOT melting, the housing is, implying that the metal contacts on the lights are the problem and creating heat (crap material -> high resistance -> high heat *physics!) So I wonder if you got some DJ Auto ones and just replaced the metal contacts they supplied with the OE ones you'd be in better shape. Unfortunately I'll never know, one of my bulbs is stuck in place so when it burns out I will once again be crossing this bridge.

Exactly.

Hard wire yours before you get to this bridge, and your aftermarket tail lights may last until the colors fade. That's my experience talking...

tlamp08.jpg

tlamp062.jpg

Had to chew some of the melted housing plastic just to retrieve the bulb!

tlamp063.jpg

Find some volvo sockets. The aftermarket sockets use contact material which is difficult to solder.

Here's what the judges say about tail lamps. :-D

tlamp500.jpg

Exactly.

Hard wire yours before you get to this bridge, and your aftermarket tail lights may last until the colors fade. That's my experience talking...

Find some volvo sockets. The aftermarket sockets use contact material which is difficult to solder.

This seems to be the issue, they appear to be single process chrome plated, not galvanized like the OE.

Other than the crappy dye in the plastic that doesn't last.

Last edited:
I also had the aftermarket taillight housing melted.

I took the blubs out and put in LEDs for the brake lights. Have to put wiring in couple of relay to get them working and the blub out lights will turn on at night, but I don't have to worry about melted housing.

I would rather have a good condition used Volvo set than any aftermarket crap that is new.

Back