• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

PS pump compatibility

Forg

... for 240's (dagnabbit forgot to put that in the thread title!).

So it seems I've done something Dumb and bought the STS Machining A/C-delete bracket despite the fact that it doesn't appear to be compatible with my 242GT's York^D^D^D^Dearly PS pump.

I've got all the heavy useless crap out now & don't really feel like putting it all back in again, so I'm wondering whether other 240 pumps (which are compatible with the STS bracket!) are a simple bolt-in replacement for the York pump?

Last edited:
Not familiar with a York PS pump. York made AC compressors.
I'm guessing it's a Saginaw pump like first photo below?

My setup is not comparable, I still have AC (newer rotary compressor) and I changed to a later 240 pump years ago. When I change from the Saginaw to the later type it was a simple bolt in swap for me.
Dave

111755777.R1HlS85K.P1040877_PS.jpg

HWKyUIjh.png

Sorry my bad, Saginaw not York.
Wasn't aware the late ones were the same manufacturer. :)

OK thanks for the info!
I assume the hose-fittings are the same too, on the back of the pump? I need to check mine, but it looked like the "out" hose might have had a screw-on fitting on it whereas the STS site images of the newer pump looks like there's a barbed fitting on the back (but I need to double-check).

The reason for doing all this is that I've been chasing an annoying vibration ever since getting the car registered 16 years ago, all the powertrain stuff has been balanced & adjusted by People Who Know What They're Doing but one of said people noticed the AC compressor was all akimbo due to the custom mount to fit the rotary AC compressor into the York compressor bracket. He's seen accessory pulleys closer to alignment that caused vibrations just as bad. Given I've gone 16 years without aircon I figured I'd experiment with totally removing the unused aircon compressor, see if that helps with vibrations. But the experiment is getting bigger than I expected ...

I think you need to change to the 86+ (or so) accessories bracket to use the newer pumps - either the one with the external reservoir or the later one with the built in reservoir. The mounting and pulley spacing on the Saginaw teardrop pump is different.

Try looking through For Sale or Wanted for "Delete Bracket" and see if those posts explain the different A/C Delete Bracket options and issues.

You need the early (76-'84) bracket for the "canned ham" pump.

GR-32625.jpg

You bought the bracket for the late ('85-) remote or integral plastic reservoir pump.

GR-58960.jpg

Thanks bobxyz ... I have the STS Machining bracket that suits the newer style pumps, due to misunderestimating the (lack of) compatibility with my late 70's style pump. I also have the with-aircon bracket as originally installed in the car.

So I'm looking at whether to get a late-model pump to use with the STS bracket, or an early-model no-aircon bracket to use with the existing pump.

(*) I can buy a new pump & get it delivered for the same sort of money as some people want for the early factory no-aircon bracket.
(*) I'd be unsurprised if removing the old stuff (the OEM brackets, the Mitsubishi rotary compressor which is lighter than the York one, and the early PS pump) and fitting the STS bracket & matching pump saves ~20kg. That old stuff is HEAVY!
(*) the main sources for a new late-model PS pump with integrated reservoir don't include the pulley - suspect I may need to find one on the used market.

I have a spare newer style pump and hose if you need it. I may also have the mounting brackets for it too
Thanks for that, but I think the tyranny of distance will be the issue with that. :)

The pressure hose is also different.
Hey, I don't suppose you have links to any images that show the early aircon bracket?
I spoke to a parts supplier the other day who said I needed the "aircon" bracket, but unsure if he mis-spoke (and the place is shut down 'til next Monday) ... would be good to know what I was looking at.

Coincidentally there's someone on eBay in the UK selling what appears to be the bracket I need ... but only the bracket, not the mounting-arms, and given that they're different to the with-aircon arms the chances of having those without the bracket seem pretty low!

Hey, I don't suppose you have links to any images that show the early aircon bracket?
I spoke to a parts supplier the other day who said I needed the "aircon" bracket, but unsure if he mis-spoke (and the place is shut down 'til next Monday) ... would be good to know what I was looking at.!

Wait, I thought you were trying to eliminate the A/C. Why would you need the "aircon" bracket. He must have mis-spoke.

Just in case here's a pic of the compressor bracket for cars with power steering.

GR-19295_25.png

He muttered something about how the aircon-only bracket was the bracket I needed and the PS pump would attach, I'm hoping he mis-spoke rather than expecting me to make up some sort of brackets/arms to attach to that (because I may's well make-up some arms to use the plate I already have for the late-style pump).

Thanks for that image ... I do have one of those, although it's currently attached to a 16yo as-yet-unused-apart-from-front-pulley Mitsubishi AC compressor ... :) A mate has one of the aircon-only brackets so I can compare & be sure this guy isn't giving me the aircon-only bracket that I don't want rather than the PS-only bracket which I want.

Last edited:
Back