• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1976 240 power steering rack

Hootbot

The rack in my 245 is totally ruined and leaks out all the fluid in about a week. I'm having trouble sourcing a rack for that year, I'm wondering if I can order for a later car and install that without having to change everything else. What are people's recommendations, I'm located in Canada so shipping is an issue.

thanks.

I'm not sure where people are getting steering racks these days. I know there are threads talking about Jorgen rebuilds ~ RIP?? What's one to do if they can't find a JY ZF rack that's not thrashed? I'm hoping someone had some good experience with remans , but I don't know who is making anything work installing.

Check the pinion shaft diameter, early racks were small 14mm I believe, later were larger.

I'm not sure where people are getting steering racks these days. I know there are threads talking about Jorgen rebuilds ~ RIP?? What's one to do if they can't find a JY ZF rack that's not thrashed? I'm hoping someone had some good experience with remans , but I don't know who is making anything work installing.

Post in wanted and find your wallet.

I've reached out to Turnone and they can do rebuilds on volvo steering racks, at least on zf volvo racks. I was quoted 300 for a standard rebuild.

Post in wanted and find your wallet.

what if one doesn't find messing with a used 150k+ mile steering rack worth their time or effort? Is there a "money no option"... option? Something hot from Sweden no one here buys?

I can't recall anyone swapping a rack from a different make other than John and the merkur racks, which probably made a lot more sense thirty years ago.

what if one doesn't find messing with a used 150k+ mile steering rack worth their time or effort? Is there a "money no option"... option? Something hot from Sweden no one here buys?

I can't recall anyone swapping a rack from a different make other than John and the merkur racks, which probably made a lot more sense thirty years ago.

:lol:

^ Whataboutism at it's finest.

I just sold a low mile rebuilt ZF rack locally TB?heap.

I bought a rack from a wreaking yard with 50k on the odometer. Saw the odometer. Lasted a year. Bought a rebuild from Advance AP and found that it was a NASCAR rack. It only had power assist turning left. Advance replaced it but that was 4 or so years ago.

The racks have gotten very scarce. Few if any rebuilt racks in stock anywhere. Rebuild seal kits seem to still be available.

I have a leaking CAM rack and a seal kit just not the inclination to do it. After finding the kit Mike Sr. offered me a deal on a rebuilt rack. Guess if one of the functioning racks fails I will have to.

That's a very good price especially with free shipping.

But . . . I think I paid about $10 for the seal kit. A dozen "O" rings and a couple gaskets.

Back