• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Small dia brake booster for 242

Funkee

I'm looking for options to put a smaller diameter booster to clear the T6 intake manifold in my 242.
Without reinventing the wheel I might drop the question in here as well.
The current booster is about 10.5" in diameter.
I found 2 options:

7" Mini booster:

meKeSbU-memMLXy8BXaewig.jpg

Thing is, it's quite bulky and deep, and I'm pretty sure even a thin aluminium cylinder (not the GM style pictured) wont clear the shock tower so no real option, I guess.

1985-ish Toyota mini truck booster:

About 8" I think and I can prolly use the Toyota cylinder as well.

What are your thoughts? It (probably) needs to power 4 pot Brembo fronts and to be honest I don't know how big the impact would be regarding pedal feel, with a smaller booster.
Won't mind a stiffer pedal, I had non-powered brakes before so if it's anything in between I'll be fine.

Nissan micra k10
There's a car I haven't heard in a while. :omg: The Super Turbo models were little pocket rockets of the mini class cars. Pretty neat little car with a cult following. May be able to get the same unit over here in Canada for all NA people having issues. I believe the Micra replaced the Pulsar hatch around the mid 80s.

This thread is pertinent to my interests. I'm swapping a 3-valve 4.6L V8 in a 245 and will have valve cover to booster interference issues. I'm also considering a Mustang hydroboost setup, but the Micra vacuum booster is so cute! :nancy:

How about the thin booster as used in the 16V 740?

In my case I'm limited to the diameter, not thickness.
I'm going to put the engine a couple of inches 'into' the firewall and with the stock S80 intake it will hit the booster.

Bad pic but you'll see what I mean:

Don't know why but the K10 boosters new are over €400 so I need to find one on a JY, I know there are some around here that specialize in Japanese cars.

Nissan Primera looks quite small as well:

k550i-1219-jpg.41560

Last edited:
I had stock thick booster with a T6 manifold with flipped plenum. Did shorten the runners a little to clear the booster.

133.jpg

And with a 3V 4.6l I'd use Hydroboost as I did with 2V. Outperforms regular vacuum boosters. Or make a stand for the booster behind left front light and move battery to trunk.

Found something.

The culprit:

2000 something Suzuki Swift. I believe they're called Geo Metro in stateside, right?

In diameter the Suzuki (it's actually Bosch) measures about 17 cm, vs almost 24 cm for the 240.

The rod length is exactly the same as the Volvo unit. The clevis though it a little smaller, and has a thicker pin. Needs minor modification on the clevis and pedal.

Suzuki

Volvo

Suzuki

Volvo

PCD is a little different obviously. The holes fit exactly within the brake pedal box.
With the old booster out of the way the pedal box isn't fixed to the firewall anymore, so don't forget to put some bolts through the old holes :)

Clears the intake with ease now :)
I'm not sure how it will work and feel eventually, still a long way to go before I can find out.
I can alway modify the old Volvo cylinder to make it fit the booster, or put a Wilwood unit or something on it.

Hope someone can take advantage of it :)

Dealing with similar issue as Funkee for a 2JZ-GTE swap into my buddy's '80. Tried a 740 booster and while considerably thinner than the stocker, I still had a slight clearance issue. Looked like a tight fit during mockup but once everything was in their final position, I missed it by about .25". So, after a lot of research and looking under the hood of 100s of cars in the boneyard, I think I have found something that might work.

It is from a mid-late 90s Toyota Tercel.

- The overall diameter at it's widest is 8.6" and mounts flush on the firewall unlike the 740 which has a step as can be seen in the pic below.
- The mounting bolt-pattern is different so the firewall obviously needs redrilling as it would with probably just about any other booster.
- The m/c bolt spacing is the same but the protrusion on the m/c is a tad too wide and long to fit into the booster register. A little maching would probably work but not worth it IMO.
- The Tercel m/c is a 2-porter but the i.d. is .082". The same vintage Camry and Lexus has a similar m/c and specs say it has a 1" i.d. If it would just stop raining, I will go back to the boneyard and make sure the Camry/Lexus m/c will fit.
- The rod length is the same and is also adjustable and the clevis width and hole are the same.

Here are some pics that show the physical difference between the stocker, a 740 and the Tercel.

HERE'S THE MONEY SHOT

Hi, I had the same situation when i installed my 7mgte, so I used a booster from a Toyota Corolla with the master cylinder from a Camry , the one that has 3 bolts in the MC. I redrilled the holes in the fore wall and made some backing plates and just put new bolts to hold the steering column brace. I figure power to weight ratio in the master cylinder combining the weight of both cars, Volvo 240 about 2800 lbs or so, Camry about 2950 so it hopefully works
Good luck
Dz

Last edited:
Back