• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Classicswede Lowering Springs

How many lowered 240's have you driven?
How many 240's have you cut springs on?
How much do you usually cut off?
Do you trim the bump stops?
Why is it not a good idea to cut 30 year old springs?

I could not say how many lowered 240's I have driven but must be well over 500, likely to be more.
On cut springs sub 100 on 200 series
I dont cut springs but have done years gone by. 1 or 2 coils up front will work but at the back cutting the springs results in zero load capacity
If lowering more than the 50mm ish front bump stops must be trimmed or binned

as springs age they become more prone to cracking and will have also sagged, springs do not last forever even volvo ones

I see that was over six years ago. You're six years older, and six years slower. Losing only hurts the first time. :lol:
Normally, yes, but we started racing karts again so I'm actually faster now. ;-)

36591825200_1ac15eae79_z.jpg

I could not say how many lowered 240's I have driven but must be well over 500, likely to be more.
On cut springs sub 100 on 200 series
I dont cut springs but have done years gone by. 1 or 2 coils up front will work but at the back cutting the springs results in zero load capacity
If lowering more than the 50mm ish front bump stops must be trimmed or binned

as springs age they become more prone to cracking and will have also sagged, springs do not last forever even volvo ones
Sounds like you are full of it. 1 coil in front is barely noticeable at all since it's a dead coil. 2 is great. They ride and handle better. Beyond 2.5 in front they get worse the more you cut.

Zero load capacity?
Strange, I haul 150-300 pound motorcycles hanging off the back all the time with no problems at all.
Carry multiple sets of wheels and tires, motor and tranny, anything that will fit inside a 242/245. I've used them to move all of my belonging multiple times.

Loaded this up to the ceiling and towed the trailer over a mountain pass and 12 hours one way, twice.

36430149005_bd4b53e710_z.jpg

I used this to haul vintage motorcycles all over:

24102992838_684cb3e7ea_z.jpg

And I even used my super low 242 to help move a friend across town. Loaded from trunk to ceiling.

37954032841_0ce02320c0_z.jpg

And while I do have 3 240's currently on shortened coil-overs and understand it is better, most of my 240's I own and have owned over the years have been on cut springs. Not to mention the countless others I have cut for friends or "customers" that are still driven on every day.

In 20+ years of driving, track days and autox 240's with cut springs, I have never had one single failure or even a problem related to the cut springs.

I only tell those who enjoy crushing classic Volvo's that killing themself would be a good idea. I feel no shame in having that opinion and will stick to it.

As to homophobc remarks I have no idea bound to have made a few just as I will tell jokes about Welsh folk making love to sheep myself incuded. You have to be able to take a joke before you tell one. Where you plant your sausage has nothing to do with me nor anyone other than those you do it with.

The irony of you telling me to take a joke is that you told someone to kill themselves repeatedly on a post that was a joke. He made a joke when he sold a 240 that he sold it to the crusher. You're just right full of hypocracies.

I wouldn't buy anything from classic swede. The owner tells people they should kill themselves and makes homophobic remarks.

:???:

Personal experience, with shocks that were seized: he was responsive, helpful and quick to respond once he was made aware of the issue. He followed up, etc... Never told me to jump off a cliff or made homophobic jokes that I know of.

Edit, now that I see page 2: sheep f***ing is not gay love. Let's mix apples and oranges please.

Last edited:
In 20+ years of driving, track days and autox 240's with cut springs, I have never had one single failure or even a problem related to the cut springs.

I know you are a very big fan boy of cutting springs and nothing anyone tells you will change your mind.

We all know about the issues of when cutting goes too far the springs falling out but thats down to doing it wrong rather than an issue with the springs.
I have only seen a few 240 springs break so far but that number is going to rise as they are getting older. Amazon springs are very common to see broken. In the UK they dump tons of salt on the roads so that does not help with springs life.

As to load capacity I have found myself that the rear springs are way too soft and cutting them only makes the poor load capability worse. It is not just my opinion but I get many customers who have tried the cut springs path calling asking if my lowerings springs will hold up to loading as with cut springs putting a couple of passengers in the back has the car scraping along the floor at the back

I know you are a very big fan boy of cutting springs and nothing anyone tells you will change your mind.

We all know about the issues of when cutting goes too far the springs falling out but thats down to doing it wrong rather than an issue with the springs.
I have only seen a few 240 springs break so far but that number is going to rise as they are getting older. Amazon springs are very common to see broken. In the UK they dump tons of salt on the roads so that does not help with springs life.

As to load capacity I have found myself that the rear springs are way too soft and cutting them only makes the poor load capability worse. It is not just my opinion but I get many customers who have tried the cut springs path calling asking if my lowerings springs will hold up to loading as with cut springs putting a couple of passengers in the back has the car scraping along the floor at the back
Our climates are very different. We can and do drive our cars every day of the year for years and not have to worry about rust or it's effects. If a car here has a rust hole, I'll generally just crush it because there are plenty to choose from that have zero rust.

If someone is complaining about cut springs scraping due to a couple extra passengers, they probably cut them too far in the first place. If done in moderation with some common sense, there is nothing wrong with cut springs. It's just a shorter spring, much like an aftermarket one is.

I think you sell the lowest aftermarket springs at 80mm front and 60mm rear, correct?
All of my daily driven cut spring cars are lower than that. Probably in the 100-130mm range.
However, if it's a car I'm going to use on a track, it most likely would have shortened coil-overs or not that low.

24111620098_1c468d90ef_z.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you are full of it. 1 coil in front is barely noticeable at all since it's a dead coil. 2 is great. They ride and handle better. Beyond 2.5 in front they get worse the more you cut.

Zero load capacity?
Strange, I haul 150-300 pound motorcycles hanging off the back all the time with no problems at all.
Carry multiple sets of wheels and tires, motor and tranny, anything that will fit inside a 242/245. I've used them to move all of my belonging multiple times.

Loaded this up to the ceiling and towed the trailer over a mountain pass and 12 hours one way, twice.

36430149005_bd4b53e710_z.jpg

I used this to haul vintage motorcycles all over:

24102992838_684cb3e7ea_z.jpg

And I even used my super low 242 to help move a friend across town. Loaded from trunk to ceiling.

37954032841_0ce02320c0_z.jpg

And while I do have 3 240's currently on shortened coil-overs and understand it is better, most of my 240's I own and have owned over the years have been on cut springs. Not to mention the countless others I have cut for friends or "customers" that are still driven on every day.

Haha..I know a dead tread mon..but had to comment ..Im with ya on the cut springs...why pay for something you already have? Ive got a dozen sets of 240-245 springs and 3 sets of GT springs..Im not out anything by cutting a set,to suit me..however ive opted to keep the Gt springs stock for now..lol The chap from Wales is apprehensive perhaps from seeing hack jobs..Clearly you are competent ..as are a lot of cats doing it..I used to work in a macvhine shop that built and repaired Baldwin steam locomotives...imagine the leaf springs used to hold up 110 tons...true story ,stick welded a spring perch on one while under full steam waiting to leave the station loaded with 300 tons of passenger cars and people ..That perch held 4 months until we could bring her in the shop for new springs which we had made..point is..dont lump those of us that have some brains with the cats that just play the part...one never knows what a stranger is capable of...and Ive never had an issue on any of my cut 240 springs in 25 years..or my Jeep stuff either..and i drive em like i hate em.
URL]
[/IMG]

Back