home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
mck1117

Default T5 Flywheel/Clutch Options

Hello all!

I have a 1993 245 with a B230, presently an automatic (AW70). I'm in the process of swapping to a T5 from a '94 Mustang (I'm aware that the input shaft is longer, I machined my own adapter to compensate). I have a B230F, IPD Turbo cam, turbo setup from a 1990 740 (Mitsubishi 13c), and a Megasquirt 2. This setup is dialed in reasonably well. Target is 300-350 lb-ft at most.

I have everything lined up for the manual swap, except for the flywheel and clutch. Now, I'm aware that I have a few options here. I'm not particularly bent on requiring the use of a dog-dish flywheel and retaining the 60-2 crank sensor. I'm already running aftermarket EMS, so I have no problem switching to a front mount trigger wheel.

Are there any benefits to one flywheel over the other, other than mass? Is there a difference in pressure plate availability? Is one pressure plate stiffer than the other, or is it a wash on the torque holding front?

In short, if you had the option to pick flat or dog dish, what would you pick?
mck1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #2
940wagon
Board Member

Hey man, I sent ya a PM.

One of the main benefits of the flat flywheel over the dogdish flywheel would be that the flat flywheel is considerably lighter. I have read that some people report the flat to be able to withstand more power/abuse, although others would have to confirm that as fact.
940wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
VeroDubs
The Big Swede

I am running an STS flyhweel setup for LH 2.4 and want to say it is down around 20ish lbs. I have it setup with a southbend ceramic clutch and SAAB Viggen PP. Southbend says I should be good to 400-450 ft/lbs which is more than I should ever need.

If I did it again. I would go with a less aggressive clutch from southbend, but over all I am very happy with the setup.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

@VeroDubs...did you have to specifically request the Saab PP dowel / bolt pattern on your flywheel?
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote