• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Hesitation after turns

Ursan

Bored Member
So this issue came up.

1994 940

When I get to between 1/3 to 1/4 of a tank and take a turn at speed, the car hesitates for several seconds. Once straightened out it is fine.

I'm thinking fuel pickup in the tank is the issue. Anyone have thoughts?

Put a hose in there and listen for it.

Or put an anmeter to the pump and see if its dead in the water or alive to some extent and pulling current. Or measure pressure via the schrader valve that should be in the hise leaving the tank.

95 was the year that went in tank pump only so yes.

Hose thru filler neck and listen is easiest, car running. Or I use an ampclamp connected to my scope, or a standalone amplclamp, or you could put a $10 dvom IN Line with the power wire to check for current.

There can also be a torn hose in there so pressure test would be best next to a removal and inspection.

It cam be difficult to hear with the engine running so a good test would be just to access the fuel pump wires and jump it manually. I like using a power probe tool with its 15ft leads and a button to press to apply and remove power. Safe and fast. No arcing or running 15 feet of red wire or using a spare battery or jumper pack to do the test.

Or even easier would be apply power to the tank pump fuse! A la the paperclip method! I prefer alligator clip test leads. Everybody should own some. Actually, on a 940 you would have to make a jumper wire with spade terminals because you can't access the fuse terminals easy like on a 240.

Or remove the cover for the fuel pump relay and pinch it closed to power the pumps.

I still vote that you pull the cargo panel and verify power to the pump. Then manually jump it with the car off and listen. You could also pull a hose and jump the pump and see if anything comes out.

lots and lots of ways to test this stuff! I enjoy creating my own test methods!

Back