• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My new $813.50 daily driver...

Nick

I picked this up from a guy selling on CL advertised at 1500$. I got there and quickly discovered it had a pretty severe miss that left it running on 5 cylinders. Of course, being the genius I am, I already knew what the problem was and moved on. It had a slight sunroof leak that I wasn't too worried about and a little paint missing off the bumpers. Not bad, I figure I better make the guy a reasonable offer. About this time, another party shows up to test drive the car and whatnot. I tell the owner to let em at it. They go and bomb around the apt complex on 5 cylinders and return to begin bargaining. After a couple minutes I hear the owner say out loud, '800$ would buy you a car without an engine!'. Shortly there after, they walked away. I figured that the other people offered 800$ and that he turned them down. I begin walking up to the guy and before I can say anything, he says, '800$ and its yours'. SCORE! Apparently he had some of his 'mechanic' friends look at it and none of them could figure it out.

The next morning I'm driving the car home. Very rough only on 5 cylinders. I stop by work and put the actron on it. Cylinder 2 misfire code. Hmm, ok. Next stop is the LKQ junkyard. 2$ admission, 10.50$ coilpack. Installed in the parking lot and the car runs perfectly. Hahahaha, I love this thing. Once I got home, I adjusted the sunroof properly and cleaned out the drains and I haven't had any more leaking problems. Voila.
Dsc00003.jpg

Dsc00004.jpg

Dsc00005.jpg

Dsc00006.jpg

Brand new tires, clean interior, engine runs great, suspension is great except for swaybar link on the pass side.

Only problems with it is a missing antenna, broken foglamp tabs on the drivers side, broken cupholder, and a couple minor cosmetic blemishes on the bumpers.

I love it!

Nice car. I think I have a cupholder armrest in good shape. Pm me if interested. What kind of milage do those get anyway?

Nice car. I think I have a cupholder armrest in good shape. Pm me if interested. What kind of milage do those get anyway?

I hear low 20's city, high 20's/low 30s hwy. We'll see. I'll shoot you a PM after I return to the JY empty handed. They had like 5 960's there when I went.

I think my plans for it are to lower it (no nivomats), some HID's, wheels, decent stereo, and the cams from the older engines. As I understand, they're worth about 20 hp. I'm going to do a good tune up on it and change the T-belt. As of 125k, it was dealer maintained (159k now) and had the timing belt done at that last service. I think its probably time for an bomba de agua now as well.

I hear low 20's city, high 20's/low 30s hwy. We'll see. I'll shoot you a PM after I return to the JY empty handed. They had like 5 960's there when I went.

I think my plans for it are to lower it (no nivomats), some HID's, wheels, decent stereo, and the cams from the older engines. As I understand, they're worth about 20 hp. I'm going to do a good tune up on it and change the T-belt. As of 125k, it was dealer maintained (159k now) and had the timing belt done at that last service. I think its probably time for an bomba de agua now as well.
?Qu??

Deal of the year I say.

I hate you... I'd kill to daily one of those, and I think it's cheaper than my current and not as nice SUV daily driver.

the cams from the older engines. As I understand, they're worth about 20 hp.

am I the only person that prefers driving the cars with the newer "low power" cams? I'd like to see a dyno graph, but for most driving that I do, I found it to be a bit more relaxing.

I do love 95+ 960's... I think they're the nicest car you can possibly have for daily driving. More anonymous than a BM or a Merc while still looking damn classy, more comfortable (for me, 960 seats are better than the seats in a 5 or E-class), they run cheap tires, the motors are smooth and quiet, the car is smooth and quiet, the transmission is smooth, they fail in predictable ways so owning one isn't too much of a chore...

Yeah... I think I hate you. That's a great find.

I seriously loathe and envy you right now, :-P. Nice deal, and I can't wait to see more pictures of it.

Back