• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Windshield Wiper Shudder

Word of experience here. Bon Ami works awesome for windows, but make damned sure you get the right one. A few years back they reformulated it, adding in an abrasive. There's still an old variant available, along with the new one. Check if it says it will scratch glass or not, or if it says do not use on glass. The ones that don't say it should be fine.

I've had hit or miss luck on blades over the years as well, even on brand new windshields. Still haven't found the magic bullet.

Lol whoops... Yeah mine definitely said no glass... but still worked great (no scratches so to speak, i didn't scrub that hard in fear. It did make the windshield smooth, i'd say it's the same as 0000 gauge steel wool...

I wouldn't recommend it though, since there's a non-abrasive variant, like Gary said.

I think it's just the inherent design of volvo's crappy system. The motor is too slow as well, and the cables stretch out. I had a hell of a time trying to tighten up the drivers side without taking all the other stuff out. a short, tiny flat blade screwdriver should've done the trick, dash in.

I hate that I care so much about this, but wipers are great when they work.

You have to use a small flat blade screwdriver and then you use a small ratcheting box wrench and you tighten the nut on the screwdriver slotted end of the cable. just hold it from twisting with the screwdriver.

Yeah that's what I did. I'll be less lazy next time and get the driver's side tightened up...

My 244 makes all sorts of noise. I truly believe it is due to the wiper shafts needing to be taken part, cleaned and properly lubricated along with the linkage. I know none of us want to have to take it down that far, but if we've all gone through the motions with the tweaking and adjusting and fiddling with arms/linkage and different blade compounds/designs, the next obvious step should be to yard out the whole assembly inspect, clean and relube it up. It will end up being my first winter project as I can drive my old Legacy wagon this winter.

My 244 makes all sorts of noise. I truly believe it is due to the wiper shafts needing to be taken part, cleaned and properly lubricated along with the linkage. I know none of us want to have to take it down that far, but if we've all gone through the motions with the tweaking and adjusting and fiddling with arms/linkage and different blade compounds/designs, the next obvious step should be to yard out the whole assembly inspect, clean and relube it up. It will end up being my first winter project as I can drive my old Legacy wagon this winter.

It definitely helped to take it apart. I just threw some bearing grease in the shafts and it freed it right up for the replacement spindle, after cleaning the old dried up grease off. All it took was a small flathead screwdriver to pry the c-clip off, much like cleanflametrap's wiper article.

You can try taking the drive arm off the motor behind the glovebox and moving it by hand. It should have some resistance with the wipers on the windshield, but with them in the air it should be very easy and not have any knocks or clunks in the movement.

Yeah. It's a bit tight to move by hand. No wonder the old motor died. I need to pull it completely out and get it cleaned up, lubed and back in with proper adjustment.

Damn, even with the wipers in air?

It's possible to replace the spindles with dash in, given you remove the gauge cluster, light switch panels, and glovebox/radio/cubby/small gauges. It's a tight fit and annoying though.

Also, check for in and out play on the wiper spindles. That can cause some slop too

Lol whoops... Yeah mine definitely said no glass... but still worked great (no scratches so to speak, i didn't scrub that hard in fear. It did make the windshield smooth, i'd say it's the same as 0000 gauge steel wool...

I wouldn't recommend it though, since there's a non-abrasive variant, like Gary said.

I think it's just the inherent design of volvo's crappy system. The motor is too slow as well, and the cables stretch out. I had a hell of a time trying to tighten up the drivers side without taking all the other stuff out. a short, tiny flat blade screwdriver should've done the trick, dash in.

I hate that I care so much about this, but wipers are great when they work.

Try using dish soap in the water when using Bon Ami. It works well on stainless pots.

Definitely a great idea, considering how well dish soap destroys oil. I'll give that a swing next time.

I lube that stuff every so often with Wurth spray grease. It penetrates so you don't have to take the whole drive setup apart to get lube in there. it's a great but expensive product.

I'm having the same issue on my 240. Linkages are tight but I haven't lubed the wiper arm shafts. I'll give that a go.

BUMP Thought of this thread...

Cleaned the 240 windshield tonight. I've been dealing with poor night vision through a film-covered windshield whenever it was raining/wet. Immediately after the wipers swipe was the worst, then the film of water would slowly clear up.

Started by cleaning the windshield with brake cleaner. I'm using blue shop towels (blue paper towels).

Second, cleaned with foaming glass cleaner.

Third, applied rain-x.

Fourth, installed new wiper blades. I always buy the cheapest ones. $9.99ea at Advance Auto Parts. I've never had a problem with the cheap ones. I've occasionally had problems with more expensive ones, particularly the "solid body" type that don't curve enough when installed, so the middle of the blade gets mashed down and the edges don't do much.

Went for a drive in light misting rain...100% improvement. Water beads nicely and flies off at ~45+mph. Wipers run smooth and quiet (didn't have any chatter before, but certainly don't have any now). I can finally hit the wipers when there's just a mist on the windshield and it actually becomes clear.

I lube that stuff every so often with Wurth spray grease. It penetrates so you don't have to take the whole drive setup apart to get lube in there. it's a great but expensive product.

I looked for Wurth spray grease. Which product do you use?

Have you tried a clay bar? That's my go to window cleaner when it has build up. Mix up a light Dawn and water solution and go to town on the window. You can feel the difference easily when its totally clean when wiping the clay across the window.

Back