• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help with door sag

Johnnya101

I have my new to me 1991 245SE.

The driver's door has a slight sag, moreso in the rear. The pinstripe was a hair off and the rubber seal was rubbing at the top. I placed a washer under each bottom hinge bolt and now the door opens easier and it's a little better, but the door as a whole now is too low by a hair. There is a loud creak when opening and closing the door from the spring.

What should I do? Is this a symptom of bad door hinge wear or something else?

I have found that I can only move the door in and out from the door bolts. Are the bolts that allow the door to be lifted buried in the side of the car?

Last edited:
Most likely your hinges are just worn. Is there play if you open the door a bit and lift it from the back corner? If so, then new pins or good used hinges from a left side back door.

Hinges have three bolts each and can be accessed from the inside. Fusebox has to be moved aside for access to drivers side lower bolts.

I did not feel any significant play. Is it possible the hinges just sunk from 260k miles of wear?

Are pins easy to replace on these? Maybe I should try replacing them anyway.

Each time I've had to give a driver's door a slight lift, I had to pull the fuse panel and the vapor barrier and get at the lower hinge's car-side bolts.

When the spring gets chewed up to some point, no amount of lube seems able to take the squawk out of the door. I don't know about replacing pins, but, yes, the idea of having a rear left lower hinge from a junker sounds like the ticket to me.

door307.jpg

Would have been great if Volvo had continued the hinges with the zerk fittings.

hinge04.jpg

hinge05.jpg

I take it back. The door has a significant amount of play. First time I've had to check door pins and I was trying to move the door while open all the way. When almost closed it rocks up and down a bit. So it does need new pins and bushings.

Where can I find new ones? Are they Volvo specific or will something from Napa work? iPd doesn't seem to have them.

Post in Wanted for a hinge, no sense messing around with pins and bushings.

Back