Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #402
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Just got off the phone with Modern Driveline. They can do a brand new T5z with a 2.95 first and a .73 5th for a little under $2300. That sounds like it's going to do the trick.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #403
cwdodson88
Board Member

you should like that combo with 4.11-4.56 gears.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #404
Tfrasca
Board Member

Yeah, I think the new T5 will be really nice with my short final drive.

A couple weeks ago, I redid all the front suspension bushings and ball joints, then had it aligned. The shop didn't want to touch my 50 year old car but once they saw that it had all new hardware and no rust, they aligned it to stock specs without issue. I don't know much about that stuff, but at some point I'd like to see what a bit more caster does to the car's high speed stability. The steering gets pretty light at speed, but I think that's a function of not having an air dam, too.

I figured I'd share a picture of pressing the upper control arm bushings, because it's such a pain. On Hiperfauto's recommendation, I cut a piece of angle iron to span the inner distance of the control arm so it wouldn't deflect when pressing in the bushings. There's no other way to do this, and it works perfectly. Removing and pressing new bushings into the lower arms is easy to figure out.

While I had the control arms out, I welded gussets onto the sway bar endlink mounts, as they have been known to crack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bushings-1061.jpg (143.4 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Bushings-1062.jpg (179.0 KB, 287 views)
Tfrasca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #405
Tfrasca
Board Member

As for the trans tunnel sound deadening, I think the Dynaliner works really well. I laid down some Noico 80mil (with the foil backing), then used the Dynaliner to cover that. I still need to figure out a solution for carpeting. i like the idea of using a one piece 240 carpet, but I'm sure the fit will be weird. I could also just have some black carpet sewn up to span the gap between my early 140 carpets. Not too concerned about that yet.

This transmission is still loud, but it sounds like most of the noise transfer is coming through the firewall. I put some Dynaliner there too, but it's hard to be thorough unless you pull the entire dash out. I may or may not ever do that.

Also, I got one of these late 140 center consoles to hold volt and oil pressure gauges. It's nice to have the information again.

As you can see, I bolted a stock 240 boot to the tunnel (bolts go through the Dynaliner for a good seal). The Hurst shifter is in exactly the right place, so I'll keep that on the new transmission.

Don't mind the dust; spent some time driving in the dirt last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gauges-0556.jpg (190.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg Gauges-0550.jpg (155.3 KB, 284 views)
Old 02-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #406
churd9
Board Member

Quote:
Well, I could have saved myself a lot of time, but I guess that's how you learn. Everything looked great with the transmission, so I read up on people adding some Luca Oil Stabilizer to the ATF in their T5s. I put about .5 quart in, and I'd say the noise has been cut down by 50%. It's completely liveable.
My buddy’s cobra trans sounds like it has no fluid in it has sense it was new...great build

Last edited by churd9; 02-28-2018 at 05:54 PM..
churd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #407
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
My buddy’s cobra trans sounds like it has no fluid in it has sense it was new...great build
Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure the new trans won't be super quiet, but at least I'll know it's all new and has the ideal ratios.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #408
cwdodson88
Board Member

looks great! I noticed a very large difference at 70 mph with my 122 when running an air dam. Without it, it was very loose, and you could feel the front end lift if you pointed it into a headwind. With the dam on, its worlds different, still gets light, but no where near the extent.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #409
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
looks great! I noticed a very large difference at 70 mph with my 122 when running an air dam. Without it, it was very loose, and you could feel the front end lift if you pointed it into a headwind. With the dam on, its worlds different, still gets light, but no where near the extent.
Good to hear. I was talking to a 60's Mustang driver who had the same experience when he put a pretty small lip on his car. It would be nice if it felt more planted.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #410
Dangerkitty
Bored Member

Quote:
Good to hear. I was talking to a 60's Mustang driver who had the same experience when he put a pretty small lip on his car. It would be nice if it felt more planted.
Even the small factory front spoiler on my 68 Z/28 made a very noticeable difference.
I was surprised.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #411
Tfrasca
Board Member

I talked briefly with a local fabricator who makes a lot of aluminum air dams for 2002s, but I don't know if anything will happen with that. If not, I've got my eye on one of these:

http://rpglasfiber.com/?go=pro_info&...&cucat=7973988
Old 03-03-2018, 02:51 AM   #412
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I think Fredrik Hilman has a mold for the 140 airdams, might hit him up.

When I put the airdam on mine (one of the IPD ones from way back), it made a BIG difference in stability from about 50mph on up. It still gets a little light at speed like everything, but the difference between stock and with the airdam, it's WAY more stable, definitely pulls down a good bit now.

I forget if you tried a yoke with the balancer, but that might help even with the new trans.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #413
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
I think Fredrik Hilman has a mold for the 140 airdams, might hit him up.

When I put the airdam on mine (one of the IPD ones from way back), it made a BIG difference in stability from about 50mph on up. It still gets a little light at speed like everything, but the difference between stock and with the airdam, it's WAY more stable, definitely pulls down a good bit now.

I forget if you tried a yoke with the balancer, but that might help even with the new trans.
Is Fredrik on Tbricks? I've never met him. I heard back from that Swedish company. It would cost $260 to get that airdam shipped to California. Not outrageous, but enough that I'll want to think about it for a bit. I definitely need to get something on there before the next big roadtrip.

As for the damped slip yoke... I wanted to try something like that but the driveline guy at the shop said he hates dampers and didn't stock anything. I should have insisted, but I was on a tight time line. My vibrations seem more RPM/ger selection based than wheel speed based. I took that to mean it was happening within the gear box and not the driveline. Though I guess the damped yoke would effectively damp gear lash too. I'll look into that.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #414
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Is Fredrik on Tbricks? I've never met him. I heard back from that Swedish company. It would cost $260 to get that airdam shipped to California. Not outrageous, but enough that I'll want to think about it for a bit. I definitely need to get something on there before the next big roadtrip.

As for the damped slip yoke... I wanted to try something like that but the driveline guy at the shop said he hates dampers and didn't stock anything. I should have insisted, but I was on a tight time line. My vibrations seem more RPM/ger selection based than wheel speed based. I took that to mean it was happening within the gear box and not the driveline. Though I guess the damped yoke would effectively damp gear lash too. I'll look into that.
I hate to say this but you are probably on point with it being in the gear box. Did you set the input shaft preload properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #415
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
I hate to say this but you are probably on point with it being in the gear box. Did you set the input shaft preload properly?
Yeah the noise and vibes are in the box itself. Just drove it again and it's for sure RPM/gear dependent. I got the trans "rebuilt" and with the Deeworks bearing retainer already installed. I didn't check preload. There was no side to side play in the input shaft, if that means anything.

Honestly I'm going to just buy a new T5z with better ratios and call it good. And of course I'll set the preload on the new trans when I swap the retainer over. If I still have vibes with the new trans I'll what kind of damped yoke I can fit in there.

The driveline shop set me up with the "smallest" T5 yoke they make, but I don't remember what size u-joint it takes. I guess that will determine which damper I can use.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:23 AM   #416
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

So...my 140 has an RPM specific vibration as well, not vehicle speed dependent. Input is preloaded at .006", counter at the same. Swapping in the balancer yoke changed the dynamics of the vibration a LOT, reduced the severity and rpm range of it by a pretty good margin. Makes no sense, but it helped. On decel it would start at any rpm over 3k, any gear, and shut off hard at 2700rpm. With the balancer it is gone if you decel over 4k, still there from 4k down to 2700 but about half the severity.

Yeah, Fredrik is on here from time to time and on the TB FB group (Fredrik Hillman).
Old 03-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #417
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
So...my 140 has an RPM specific vibration as well, not vehicle speed dependent. Input is preloaded at .006", counter at the same. Swapping in the balancer yoke changed the dynamics of the vibration a LOT, reduced the severity and rpm range of it by a pretty good margin. Makes no sense, but it helped. On decel it would start at any rpm over 3k, any gear, and shut off hard at 2700rpm. With the balancer it is gone if you decel over 4k, still there from 4k down to 2700 but about half the severity.

Yeah, Fredrik is on here from time to time and on the TB FB group (Fredrik Hillman).
I really should have just picked up one of those huge T-bird dampers and insisted that the shop use it. Did you just find a damped yoke that used the same u-joint and swap it yourself? No concerns about balancing the whole thing?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #418
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:

Honestly I'm going to just buy a new T5z with better ratios and call it good.
You know how 'long' 5th is in those, right?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #419
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
You know how 'long' 5th is in those, right?
I'm paying for them to put a .73 5th in it for me. Should be perfect.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #420
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

There's a few things to look for, but yeah, it's pretty easy to swap. Make sure you have a 1.5" OD on the yoke, insertion length should be around 4.5-5", 28 splines, and a 3" shaft, not a 3.5", so it'll run a 1310 instead of a 1330.

Only concern for you might be tunnel clearance on the earlier tunnel, unless you've already addressed that issue.

BTW, talked to Fredrik today. He has a 140 airdam he plans to make a mold from and be able to make them after that. Probably be a little bit until he gets to that point, not sure what your timeframe is. If it's before Davis, I don't think he will have time to get to it since he's got a couple projects in the works right now.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #421
Tfrasca
Board Member

Uh oh...

I tried to order that T5z yesterday from Modern Driveline, and they said Tremec is out of the .73 5th gears. The guy told me to call back in a month to see if they had gotten more. Hopefully this is just a temporary supply issue, but MD didn't sound overly confident about getting more .73s...

Gary, as for the airdam, I'm in no hurry. Honestly, I should get this transmission purchase sorted out before spending anything else on the car. I very deliberately don't keep track of my 142 spending, but by all indications, it's been way to high lately!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #422
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Sorry I missed the gear swap post up top - hopefully they’ll come through for you.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #423
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Sounds like you might be a viable first customer for his project when he gets done. I'll let him know tonight.

I'll be seeing him a few times a week for the next few weeks. Project underway at his place.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #424
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Sounds like you might be a viable first customer for his project when he gets done. I'll let him know tonight.

I'll be seeing him a few times a week for the next few weeks. Project underway at his place.
Keep me posted!
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #425
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Hmm, bit of a tough nut on the 5th. I'm not sure what to suggest but inclined to reiterate that I don't think the .63 is the right thing for your setup or would really make you happy. If they can get the .8 I'd run those numbers and give it some hard thought.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote