home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #51
$EEKING 945 TURBO WAGON
Board Member

Thanks for the insight. Hard for an old dog. You're probably right on target.
$EEKING 945 TURBO WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #52
kendogg
V8 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by $EEKING 945 TURBO WAGON View Post
Thanks for the insight. Hard for an old dog. You're probably right on target.

;)
kendogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #53
photoman327
Board Member

Parts
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #54
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Good thread
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #55
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

Moog ball joints for 240s, I buy 'em on Amazon! Greasable, still excellent quality.

Dealers, speak to Anthony at Tasca out side of Boston. He's fantastic--and you get to listen to the accent too. I know, what accent, right Boston?

On the opposite coast, talk to Mark Carpenter for mail order sales at Turner in Sacramento. NO accent. But then, I'm in L.A.

Both of these are listed elsewhere in this thread, just providing my preferred contacts. I deal with both regularly and they offer superior customer service. On the other side, I have nothing good to say about three mail order transactions with a certain dealer in Houston. Maybe their walk in service is good.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #56
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Finally updated
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
get on my lawn
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #57
naterhater
Board Member

avoid Advance Auto Parts. They hardly carry anything for our cars to begin with, and I recently got sold some defective copper gaskets that led to my turbo oil inlet fitting draining a quart of oil on the ground. Not to mention the fact that most often the staff are hardly familiar with volvos
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=288116
naterhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #58
TomBob

Seen mention of URO parts being worthless but how about Meyle?

Needing to replace bushing on my front end.
TomBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #59
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

I have had good luck with Meyle on many things. I don't endorse them 100% though. Certainly better than a lot of the ScanTech stuff was. Their rotors are a very good buy. I haven't tried the strut mounts yet, but am tempted. Especially since the Volvo units no longer say Volvo and I'll bet aren't SKF at all any more.
DavidSamuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #60
TomBob

That's good to hear, I think I'll make an order for OE front control arm bushings and meyle strut mounts this weekend.

The front end rattles have got to stop and I don't want to put new tires on wacky suspension!
TomBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #61
bgpzfm142
crossmember

Thumbs down Beware of Tasca (tasca_tpc on eBay)

I note Tasca (tascaparts.com) is listed as a recommended source at the start of this thread. They trade as tasca_tpc on eBay, and I thought I'd share my story of a very bad experience with them.

An eBay ad by tasca_tpc claimed to have four B234 oil pump pulleys available; I ordered two - one to go on the car straight away, and one spare.

After a few days, I contacted tasca_tpc to ask when he intended to ship the items. tasca_tpc responded by stating that the items were no longer available, and that he had written to me to advise me of this on the day of the order (untrue) and that he had issued me a full refund (also untrue).

Before replying to tasca_tpc, I took a screenshot of their listing, which clearly showed "2 items sold, 2 still available".

Why would they keep listing items for sale that they don't have in stock?

It seems to me as though they were quite happy to leave up fraudulent listings and rip off people's money. After all, they'd already lied about issuing a refund.

I only got my refund after filing a dispute with PayPal, but my vehicle is going to be off road for at least another week while I get a pulley from a reliable source, thanks to this rip-off merchant and his stupid time-wasting games.
bgpzfm142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #62
Acke
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSamuels View Post
I have had good luck with Meyle on many things. I don't endorse them 100% though. Certainly better than a lot of the ScanTech stuff was. Their rotors are a very good buy. I haven't tried the strut mounts yet, but am tempted.
Installed meyle strut mounts on my 940 last summer. One is working fine and the rubber part seem good, but the mounting bolt on the other one snapped when tightening the nut to correct torque.
Acke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #63
alabang 240
Board Member

nice thread !
Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #64
Ryan_R
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSamuels View Post
I have had good luck with Meyle on many things. I don't endorse them 100% though. Certainly better than a lot of the ScanTech stuff was. Their rotors are a very good buy. I haven't tried the strut mounts yet, but am tempted. Especially since the Volvo units no longer say Volvo and I'll bet aren't SKF at all any more.
I don't believe Volvo *ever* used SKF for 240 strut mounts. They should be Boge originally. New units are made by FAG.

-Ryan
1990 245 -- Parts-mobile
1991 745 --Regina powered B234F!
1995 945T -- Mildly modded
http://www.ohio.edu/people/ridgely/Volvo_docs/
Ryan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #65
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

As far as I know (and I admit I'm not the final word) the original, Boge mounts used a real SKF ball bearing. Keep in mind who SKF is/was. Probably some sort of partnership. Muchos years ago in San Diego, I replaced the bearings in a set of strut mounts (yeah, stupid). Took the bearings to Kaman Industrial and they sold me identical, SKF bearings to put in. Never did that again though.
DavidSamuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #66
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpzfm142 View Post
I note Tasca (tascaparts.com) is listed as a recommended source at the start of this thread. They trade as tasca_tpc on eBay, and I thought I'd share my story of a very bad experience with them.

An eBay ad by tasca_tpc claimed to have four B234 oil pump pulleys available; I ordered two - one to go on the car straight away, and one spare.

After a few days, I contacted tasca_tpc to ask when he intended to ship the items. tasca_tpc responded by stating that the items were no longer available, and that he had written to me to advise me of this on the day of the order (untrue) and that he had issued me a full refund (also untrue).

Before replying to tasca_tpc, I took a screenshot of their listing, which clearly showed "2 items sold, 2 still available".

Why would they keep listing items for sale that they don't have in stock?

It seems to me as though they were quite happy to leave up fraudulent listings and rip off people's money. After all, they'd already lied about issuing a refund.

I only got my refund after filing a dispute with PayPal, but my vehicle is going to be off road for at least another week while I get a pulley from a reliable source, thanks to this rip-off merchant and his stupid time-wasting games.
I have had issues with TASCA the last time I ordered through them as well. Firstly, it took them 11 days to ship, when all the parts were listed as in stock. Then, when the parts arrived, I was short 8 valve cover studs and a thermostat. When I contacted them about this they refunded my money, for the parts I did not receive, promptly, but I was still disappointed with how long they took to ship the items and that they got the order wrong. It seems they are no longer a reliable source of parts.

Updated. I added Art's wedsite www.cleanflametrap.com

Last edited by Lando; 07-09-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #67
Cea

Hi, love this thread, thanks for creating it.
Cea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #68
1choice
Board Member

alternator brushes for 70AMP and 80AMP ALTS on 240s, the number I found that works is FX-45.
like this "FX-45 Alternator Brush Set" both on ebay and amazon.
1choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #69
RCR
Board Member

Suggestion here on posting a rating on BRANDS of parts not just suppliers. That is Brands that perform well and brands to avoid like the plague!
Sometimes that can make all the difference when deciding what to grab. I found this out the hard way doing a lower control arm job as I am doing it again in 3 years on a 98 V-90.
Going back with real Volvo bushings this time in the factory arms NOT aftermarket!!!
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #70
240t

Hi, new to TB but not to Volvos..

One supplier to add, for us who live over in the UK/Europe as import duties and taxes suck to import from the states are european tuning who are based in the Netherlands as they supply IPD parts amongst many others! I have used them on 2 occasions so far and found them brilliant and i will be again in the near future I'm sure

http://www.europeantuningshop.nl
240t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #71
danielje53

Default M 46 Reverse Lock-out

HELP!!
I'm trying to locate a reverse lock-out pull rod for the M46 on my 1989/745.
Part #: 12.09.675.6
Or, if someone can help with the specs, I can fabricate one.
(Presently, just lifting shift panel with finger...)
Thanks,
Dan
danielje53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #72
1choice
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterhater View Post
avoid Advance Auto Parts. They hardly carry anything for our cars to begin with, and I recently got sold some defective copper gaskets that led to my turbo oil inlet fitting draining a quart of oil on the ground. Not to mention the fact that most often the staff are hardly familiar with volvos
Napa has a bunch of stuff for our volvos. I only know what they have for 240s but it's pretty much the important stuff we need, they carry.
1choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #73
quillc
yv1a.com

M46 OD service and repair.

www.Odspares.com

I emailed them and a complete rebuild of an M46 OD unit is 300 British pounds plus shipping each way.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #74
Classic 240
Wagons Forever

+1 on Strandberg in centuria, wi

Arbormotion in Mi. got a lot of help and parts from them.
http://arbormotion.com/swedish-engineering.
96 855 silver glt
Classic 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #75
GroupA242
Board Member

+1 for Napa