home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Symposium > article composition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #176
J2_
Board Member
 
J2_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stroopwafel-land
Default

That's it ! that's what I meant.

Dankjewel JW voor de heldere vertaling
J2_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #177
foggyjames
Ryan's spanner monkey
 
foggyjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lincoln, UK
Default

Pilot bearing is the right name, but it indeed doesn't have one. Interestingly (or not...), that bushing is metal on turbo cars and plastic on NAs...at least in theory...

cheers

James
__________________
'05 V70 D5
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'80 343 DL
'69 164

PM me if you're looking for Euro parts!
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #178
SteveMD
Repent Walpurgis
 
SteveMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: West of I-270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
M90 has no pilot bearing, there is just a dummy-bearing (solid metal bushing) in the crank to center the clutch alignment tool in. I don't know the dimensions of that dummy bearing.
Interesting. I was using a spare engine for test assembly of my M90. The spare engine had an AW71 and the crank also had this solid metal bushing which I think helps center the torque converter. It was useful for the the clutch disc alignment tool as you pointed out.

However, in my case, this bushing was loose in the end of the crank and easily removed. I am concerned if I leave it in there it will work part way out of the crank end and contact the clutch disc. Actually it will contact the M90 input shaft first, come to think of it.
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #179
J2_
Board Member
 
J2_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stroopwafel-land
Default

There should be a snap ring holding it in place !
J2_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #180
JW240
Your current user title
 
JW240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2_ View Post
There should be a snap ring holding it in place !
exactly!
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #181
SteveMD
Repent Walpurgis
 
SteveMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: West of I-270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2_ View Post
There should be a snap ring holding it in place !
Thanks, anyone have the part # for the snap ring? There wasn't one when I pulled the AW71 stuff off the back of the crank.

EDIT: went home for lunch, checked this stuff. This solid metal bushing extends waaaay past the snap ring groove so I will just leave it out and centre the disc in the FW by other means.

Last edited by SteveMD; 03-16-2009 at 12:45 PM..
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #182
frpe82
Guest
 
Default

The centering tools should also come in other sizes.

The bushing in the middle should be removed if you want to mount the M90 gearbox.

My centering tool fit in the hole without the bushing (I have several tools).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #183
Steve940Estate
Board Member
 
Steve940Estate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hampshire, England
Default

When I took my car apart it had the snap ring located bush fitted. It was an M90 equipped engine anyway. Perhaps the bush is used to standardise assembly equipment in the factory.
I don't have a centering tool and found centering it by eye was good enough. It probably isn't as critical on the M90 as the end of input shaft only has to go into the splines on the clutch plate, not the crank bush as well.

I got everything sorted out properly on my car now and drove it again. All seems fine but the clutch pedal needs lowering a bit to make it nicer to drive. It was always high before (compaired with the brake) but now the bite point is higher I can do something about it. Either shorten the pushrod on the pedal or make some spacer shims to go between the bulkhead and the master cylinder.
Steve940Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #184
JW240
Your current user title
 
JW240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpe82 View Post
My centering tool fit in the hole without the bushing (I have several tools).
how does it does that? the outside diameter of the bushing is much bigger than the inside diameter of the splined hole in the clutch disc. Is there another (deeper) hole in the crank?
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #185
frpe82
Guest
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
how does it does that? the outside diameter of the bushing is much bigger than the inside diameter of the splined hole in the clutch disc. Is there another (deeper) hole in the crank?
It can center is several ways.

Even in relation to the pressure plate's springs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #186
JW240
Your current user title
 
JW240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpe82 View Post
It can center is several ways.

Even in relation to the pressure plate's springs.
ah cool. i only saw the volvo tool
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #187
frpe82
Guest
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
ah cool. i only saw the volvo tool
Biltema kit FTW!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #188
Fivehundred
.
 
Fivehundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Default

My centring tool doesn't use the crank at all, just visually centre the driven plate on the clutch cover plate and slap it on the flywheel. Very easy way to do it.
Fivehundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #189
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian
 
Mr.Borrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Pilot bearing is the right name, but it indeed doesn't have one. Interestingly (or not...), that bushing is metal on turbo cars and plastic on NAs...at least in theory...

cheers

James




stupidest 10 euro's spend ever.. but hey you seem to need it
Mr.Borrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #190
Steve940Estate
Board Member
 
Steve940Estate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hampshire, England
Default

The only thing I could fault with my M90 conversion was that the pedal was too high. I couldn't do anything before as the biting point was already too low, but since I swapped the flywheel and clutch it went up to about half way.
I got the chance to make an adjustable master cylinder pushrod at work today, fitted it when I got home and now it's just right.

Not sure if this is a common problem or just something on my car.
Steve940Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #191
frpe82
Guest
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940Estate View Post
The only thing I could fault with my M90 conversion was that the pedal was too high. I couldn't do anything before as the biting point was already too low, but since I swapped the flywheel and clutch it went up to about half way.
I got the chance to make an adjustable master cylinder pushrod at work today, fitted it when I got home and now it's just right.

Not sure if this is a common problem or just something on my car.
What transmission did you have before?

And if it was an M46, did you swap the pedals and the master cylinder as well?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #192
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian
 
Mr.Borrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpe82 View Post
What transmission did you have before?

And if it was an M46, did you swap the pedals and the master cylinder as well?
tell me that is not necessary
Mr.Borrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #193
SteveMD
Repent Walpurgis
 
SteveMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: West of I-270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Borrie View Post
tell me that is not necessary
Me, too. I have 2 740/940 hydraulic pedal sets and am unsure if from M46 or M47. Should be same in U.S.

I do have the slave that came with my M90. Was going to use slave that came with M46/M47.
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #194
JW240
Your current user title
 
JW240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

the pedal box for pre 90 740's is different from the 940 pedal box already, so if you'd need a different one (which i cant imagine since you can solve a lot of issues with modifying the master/slave cylinder if needed), there isn't a drop in pedal box that works.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #195
SteveMD
Repent Walpurgis
 
SteveMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: West of I-270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
the pedal box for pre 90 740's is different from the 940 pedal box already, so if you'd need a different one (which i cant imagine since you can solve a lot of issues with modifying the master/slave cylinder if needed), there isn't a drop in pedal box that works.
I will get both boxes out and compare them. I might be up the sewage-fouled water-way without a manual propulsion device * if I did the pedal box last instead of first thing in my M90 swap.

*A clean version of the American expression of doom or huge inconvenience "Up **** creek without a paddle"
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #196
frpe82
Guest
 
Default

What I was thinking about was if the master cylinder for the M46 had a different volume than the one in an M90 equipped car.

If so, then it might cause some trouble (the biting point).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #197
Steve940Estate
Board Member
 
Steve940Estate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hampshire, England
Default

I was lucky enough to have all the bits to fit straight from another car so they are all M90 spec. Ithough that the parts are all the same, slave cylinder is for sure. Do 700's have plastic clutch pedals ?
I have a Vadis disc and will check some numbers.
Steve940Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #198
frpe82
Guest
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940Estate View Post
I was lucky enough to have all the bits to fit straight from another car so they are all M90 spec. Ithough that the parts are all the same, slave cylinder is for sure. Do 700's have plastic clutch pedals ?
I have a Vadis disc and will check some numbers.
OK. So all the bits that you swapped were M90 parts then.

I don't know if 700's have plastic pedals. But all 900's do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #199
Steve940Estate
Board Member
 
Steve940Estate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hampshire, England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940Estate View Post
Ithough that the parts are all the same, slave cylinder is for sure. Do 700's have plastic clutch pedals ?
I haven't looked at the 700 clutch parts to see what they are like before. As frpe82 says all 900's have the same pedals but there are quite a few different numbers for the master and slave cylinders.
I will have a look at what aftermarket suppliers do, didn't think there were many options although perhaps thats what casues the problems.
Steve940Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #200
frpe82
Guest
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940Estate View Post
I haven't looked at the 700 clutch parts to see what they are like before. As frpe82 says all 900's have the same pedals but there are quite a few different numbers for the master and slave cylinders.
I will have a look at what aftermarket suppliers do, didn't think there were many options although perhaps thats what casues the problems.
8601785 (1330248) is the only master cylinder for the M90 gearbox.

6814719 is the only master cylinder for the M46/M47 gearbox.

And...

6843913 is the only slave cylinder for the M90 gearbox.

6843914 is the only slave cylinder for the M46/M47 gearbox.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.