• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What year did 240s start coming with R-134a A/C systems?

At some point, I believe it was '91, they also made the evaporator larger to cool better.

Yes, 1993 was the only model year to offer R134a from the factory....and my AC is still very chilly after all of these years.

Probably 1993 model year, a lot of which would've been built & imported in 1992 (maybe all? did they actually assemble any cars in '93, or were they all stockpiled cars waiting to be slowly sold?).

R134 was required by the gomment in 1994. I sold new cars back then (not volvos but next door to a stealership that did), and in 92/93 a big selling feature was being equipped to handle the future mandated R134 requirements. Funny, I have no idea about what the Volvo's next door were equipped with, but I always had a cow every time I saw a newer 240 there in that forest killer green color which didn't come along until the 90's I guess.

Coming from a person who has swapped to a 1993 set up I can tell you a few odd things. 1993 was the only model year to have it factory installed. What the 1993 has that the other years dont is a higher efficiency condensor. I put a hole in my 93 condesor and tried to put in a 91 condensor and it would not fit to the same hose hook ups. So I had to find a 93 condensor. The 90-92 240's have the best set up to convert to R134, but the 85-89 work ok as well. All I would add to a 85-89 is the front pusher fan from a 90-93. And have the fan come on when the compressor is on. Changing all the seals to the green R134 ones is pretty easy as well. Just make sure you have the old R12 system fully purged by an AC shop before you change all the seals and add the R134 quick fill port on the Low pressure side. Volvo kept so many parts the same that I use a 740's Low pressure hose on my 245 to route the hose towards the firewall and a little more out of the way, unlike the later 240's with the hose over the valve cover and exhaust manifold. Some pipe bending was required. Nothing like freezing air when it is 110 outside.

Cheers:cheers:

PJ

Interesting....does it have a B230 "L" block(sticker on upper timing cover)?

Hmm... Mine doesn't have the L block sticker(I don't think). But my block says L where it should say K. Its a 91. In the Sig.

I may have been told this before, sorry I can't remember.

Back