• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Clutch went to the floor, bad pressure plate ?

williamtii

The other day when shifting into 2nd the clutch went to the floor and stuck. I was not far from home so I was able to get it back into the driveway. It's a 90' 240 Wagon

I figured the clutch cable broke or the big metal block had shifted sideways and jammed. Upon inspection the clutch cable was fine, but the clutch fork is not returning all the way back. Sort of stuck halfway with play in the cable.

I can move the clutch fork manually and it is not as strong as it should be, but doesn't feel completely loose.

I replaced the clutch over the winter with a Sachs kit and have had happy smooth quiet shifting for about three months.

Could the new pressure plate have gone bad that quickly? Is there a return spring that could have broken? Anyone ever had this happen before?

I am not looking forward to pulling the trans again to investigate, though it is nice and clean at least!

I've seen cracked release forks on gm cars and trucks if it didn't make any noise I bet it's that our what rwc says

Firewall likely tore out where the cable passes through it.

Look in the engine compartment where the cable passes through it. There may be an insulation pad in the way preventing you seeing what is going on. You will have to pull that back to see the firewall. Its actually a plate that bolts to the firewall. It gets fatigued and pulls away. You can see more in the video in the link below.

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=348624

Just look in thru the fork opening and see if there is an issue before pulling the trans.

Exactly. Sucks to pull the trans and then say 'huh, this looks fine...'

If you get down under the car and look at the clutch fork, if it is in the normal position - its probably some other portion of the assembly. Rule EVERYTHING else out before pulling the trans out of the car.

He already said the fork won't return past halfway, even with slack in the cable.

I guess double check that when someone presses the clutch pedal down to the floor, the end of the clutch fork moves forward and the clutch still doesn't release.

Sorry guys I never closed this one out. I blew up my back the same day so didn't get around to looking further into it for a few months.

It turned out the plastic adjuster in the clutch cable had a hairline crack. It didn't look like anything was amiss visually, but when pressure was applied it would spread our far enough to strip the cable through. New cable and she's back on the road.

0EoyZ9g.jpg

Back