• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Nissens 900 Heater Core Q

posaune

turboless
I finally got around to actually buying a heater core for my 940. Everything went smoothly until I tried to put the new one in. It seems that the hose nipples are at a different angle than the one I took out and I can't seem to get the core far enough toward the driver's side to line up with the metal straps along the sides.

The heater core in question is a Nissens from FCP Groton with plastic sides and plastic hose nipples. Wrong one? Push harder? Help! I need to get this thing back together before I forget how I took it apart...

You most likely have the wrong core...
A nissens 1307236 heater core for a 91 940 looks about like this.
I've installed one
1307236A.jpg

If this looks like what you removed, the new core has different angle plastic tubes and plastic ends and you can't install it, make the call...

Hmm, that is definitely not what I have, BUT it is the same part number on the Nissens box and on the FCP Groton receipt. Is that the number that should be on the core itself?

On the sticker on the side, mine has the following numbers:

Ref no.: 73642

Prod no.:538675

the ref no.: 73642 shows up here for a 90+ 940

Weird. FcpGroton sent me pics of "what it should be" and they are what I expected. While I am waiting for them to call back though, here are some pics of what I have. It seems unlikely that this could work...

Photo 222.jpg

Photo 223.jpg

Photo 224.jpg

Did you ever get this to work? I am running into the same problem. It appears the core is just a tad to wide so the metal straps don't really go around the plastic end tanks.

I have installed the nissen hc. Its a bitch but it will go. The shop I was at insisted on the plastic pos. If you source the oe style as previously posted go with that one. Dont fuss with the plastic one. IMO it will not last nearly as long.

Nissens has discontinued the all metal one and are now shipping the plastic/aluminum one in it's place. The heat output is lower as well. It will fit, but it's right against the edge. The straps aren't quite as nicely fitted as with the metal one either. All in all it's a half-assed attempt at a copy of the original one. I wasn't able to confirm if the OEM one is still all metal since they didn't have one in stock when I replaced mine in october.

As for the straps, they go around the connection between the tank and core instead of the end tanks like on the all metal one. It sucks, it's hokey, but it seems to work.

Ah, I was afraid of that. I might have the Visteon brand one(NLA but still in stock to order on WorldPac) ordered in just to see what it is like and return whichever one fits worse.

Got the Visteon one in. Looks like a good old metal one and fits well. Gonna get it pressure tested before I install just to be safe though. They aren't being made anymore so once they are gone its OEM Volvo or Nissens.

Back