• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's RWD Experience, '84 242 TI

Correct! The AC switch is wired into the low speed for the radiator fan. I wanted to have a switch in ever blank lol.

A keen eye will notice that only the tach is indicating anything, it doesn't reset to zero when you cut the car off. Since its a stepper motor it just stops where it is, then resets next key cycle.

Since it was the cars first time at the dragon I figured I'd spend $6 on a photo:
1499463_zps0m6iwyti.jpg

That looks cool!

Kudos for using Stack gauges! They, in my opinion, are really good quality and well priced for what you get. I am planning to redo the gauge cluster in my 242 whenever i am done with the rest and use the original cluster, just rearrange the stuff so i can have a tach where the speedo used to be and have the speedo where the tach was etc and so on ;)

Good stuff! :)

Adam

Correct! The AC switch is wired into the low speed for the radiator fan. I wanted to have a switch in ever blank lol.

A keen eye will notice that only the tach is indicating anything, it doesn't reset to zero when you cut the car off. Since its a stepper motor it just stops where it is, then resets next key cycle.

Since it was the cars first time at the dragon I figured I'd spend $6 on a photo:

Great pic!

So you run the thermo switch on the high-speed setting and the manual on the low?

Sweet ride.

I have some engine vibration at 3000rpm in every gear (from the JVAB flywheel I think), and after I fix that there will be minimal vibration. they are much better than poly mounts.

That's not from your flywheel. My car picked up a wicked buzz around 3k when I went to the Yoshi/land rover/whatever they are mounts - which it did not have with poly. I think it's just a resonant frequency between the engine and these mounts.

It had it before the mounts too though. I was running diesel mounts and a ratchet strap. Its only in decel. You would think it could be a trans issue, but its in every gear at the same engine speed.

Great pic!

So you run the thermo switch on the high-speed setting and the manual on the low?

Sweet ride.

Yes. I'm planning on running the high speed through megasquirt or vice versa when I upgrade. Mines on the radiator switch now which isn't ideal, it comes on super late.

Oh man, I wish I was as tough as you. I have 150 miles on a set of Yoshifab mounts and they make the whole car vibrate and resonate like crazy. Hope it will settle down once the engine and mounts break in a bit more.

Still the best bolt-on solution by far though

Oh man, I wish I was as tough as you. I have 150 miles on a set of Yoshifab mounts and they make the whole car vibrate and resonate like crazy. Hope it will settle down once the engine and mounts break in a bit more.

Still the best bolt-on solution by far though

I honestly don't mind them. The weird 3000rpm vibration is the worst, and my rear end is essentially solid mounted anyways. I drove probably 15 hours total in it this weekend without complaint.

I do want to get a set of the Kaplhenke torque rods with the rubber bushings, and I'm planning on putting a different 5th gear in the trans anyways. Right now it runs really low engine speed on the interstate and has a huge drop between 4 and 5.

I have that vibration too. As for torque rods, those would quiet things down a lot. I'm waiting for him to do adjustable comfort trailing arms also. Once those things are done it should be a way cushier ride.

That looks cool!

Kudos for using Stack gauges! They, in my opinion, are really good quality and well priced for what you get. I am planning to redo the gauge cluster in my 242 whenever i am done with the rest and use the original cluster, just rearrange the stuff so i can have a tach where the speedo used to be and have the speedo where the tach was etc and so on ;)

Good stuff! :)

Adam

Thanks man! I'm really happy with the instruments that are in the car. Your direction sounds like it will be cool also.

I finished up the breather valve cover finally, I've had this thing kicking around for years. I had to section the rear off of a B230 cover with the bandsaw for the rear to fit over the cam seal properly. After that I cut the flange off the front that the B21 uses with the timing cover, that was pretty easy with a die grinder and mini belt sander. Finally Stephen (manbeard) filled it up all nice and attached a -10AN bung to the outlet so it would work with my yoshifab catch can.

You can see on the front here where I had to sand it down. I basically just mimicked the shape of the B230 cover, there's plenty of material there.

20170412_213251_zpstkkd9qe9.jpg

Small gap to fill to join the two covers.

20170327_183538_zpspe3cmbie.jpg

I was able to cut it just behind the lettering, so that stayed as it was.

20170327_183639_zpsdgcyq0je.jpg

Here it is filled and on the car.

20170513_100429_zps7bkpeuoh.jpg

And installed.

20170513_090159_zpsthgp3jqf.jpg

20170513_100300_zpskqxhu2xm.jpg

One thing I didn't think about was the stud length difference between the B21 and B230 heads. The B21 studs are probably 10-15mm longer than those on the B230. Luckily I have an old 405 head taking up space here and I was able to swap those out.

Overall I'm really pleased. I provided Stephen a spare head to use as a fixture when he was welding and the cover stayed pretty damn straight. It doesn't seem to be leaking at all around the gasket surface, but I do have one tiny pin hole in the back I need to fill in. All in all not a big deal.

I'm jealous! I've Been thinking about adding that b2x style pipe to b2x0 valvecover, but after this i need to consider what i'm going to do. Sweet car, i love it!

Back