• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Flying Away On A Wing And An N/A Block?(Believe It or Not It's Plus T???)

Mjolner

A catastrophic failure occured on saturday night(4:00am & thank God I was all alone!!!:oops:). I am faced with +Ting my NA block to avoid being deported from the THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF BOOST. Which poses an the question "Who among you are running +T setups, AND how much boost are yall running at with which injectors???"The issue is how much reliable boost is available using X amount of fuel and a stock NA block where Y is equal to 93 octane.

Thanks!!! I apologize I got a lil' hysterical there...I mean it's not every day YOUR CAR shyts a rod? Or is it???;-)

Wow! I'D RATHER SUFFER THE TORMENT OF DAMN NEAR ERE MEMBER OF THIS BOARD THAN NAVIGATE THAT CONFUSING PRATTLE! Riddle me this...Is anyone getting away with more than 10psi for any signifigant period of time (i.e. greater than a single year). How did it do throughout the summer months etc... I mean reading that thread is like DRY HUMPING THE COUCH! ( AND I LOVE TO READ!)

If I recall, I did run my 242 GT +T'ed for 2 years. that block had 230k on it when I went boosted. I ran 15psi, it shot flames out the tailpipe when bouncing off the rev limiter.
That motor blew the rings on 1 and 3. still ran just smoked alot. I think I've had boost upto 25 psi one time because the wastegate signal line was coming from the intake - not too much a problem until the brake boost check valve blew up.

Had lots of fun with that setup. And contemplate doing another B21F+T for my next motor. but this B21FT is still really young.

I think it's not the block that you need to worry about lasting, but rather the internals, no?

That's not 100% right. One of the changes made in the K (which was transitory to the 90+ block) was to add webbing to make the block stiffer and less prone to flex.

For the op: I've run 19psi on an N/A bottom end. K block in particular. Others have run much more.

That's not 100% right. One of the changes made in the K (which was transitory to the 90+ block) was to add webbing to make the block stiffer and less prone to flex.

For the op: I've run 19psi on an N/A bottom end. K block in particular. Others have run much more.

Am I correct in saying that the primary differences between the N/A and the FT blocks are the compression rations and the turbo oil return? Does it stand to reason that the connecting rods are the same size??? 19 psi is pretty far out from the 10-12psi I was think was more realistically reliable. When it came your to injectors...What lb/hr was sufficient. I have a set of Orange Tops from an 850 turbo. Do you think these are in the ballpark of what I'd need???

I just ran green tops. (stock turbo injectors). And a 4bar fuel pressure reg. The higher compression engine spooled my t3/t4 nicely.

Oh good to know!

I'm running 14 PSI on 850T injectors(same as greentops, but better spray pattern and no need for resistor pack) along with freds chips. Had it this way the last year. Prior to that I had greentops and 14 PSI for about 2 years. Overall 30,000 miles on a +T with no issues.

91 oct
1991 b230F+t with 42/63 t3

ran 8psi and detonated at 9-10 with browntops and a 3bar. I tried everything i could think of but it still pinged.

I bought mikes chips and it fixed the problem i am now running 11-13 psi. And it pulls very hard.

i got to at least 14-15psi on my holset. It had an open dump so I couldn't hear ping if it was happening. Car was MS'd and had 100lb injectors.

I only put like 1200 miles on the setup though.

edit: 1990 b230f+t

'89 K blocks for both of the below.

Old setup was 15g with Freds chips and hi-z 42lb hour injectors. 93 octane was a must.

Current setup is a T04e 46 trim. 8lbs so far with the same injectors as above. 89 octane (grooved head). This will go up once I get some things sorted.

I got 20psi for a little while on my 93 B230f+t with browntops and a 3 bar fpr. Im pretty sure im maxing out my 15g at 12 psi.. seems very laggy at mid range but im sure you'll be fine

Am I correct in saying that the primary differences between the N/A and the FT blocks are the compression rations and the turbo oil return?

For the most part, yes.

Does it stand to reason that the connecting rods are the same size???

It doesn't stand to reason actually. However, they are the same size. There was some variance over the years, but normally whatever was being used N/A was being used Turbo as well.

19 psi is pretty far out from the 10-12psi I was think was more realistically reliable.

The reliability has everything to do with tune. If it's not pinging, you're fine. All B230's, regardless of year are said to be good to 300hp, but detonation needs to be avoided!

When it came your to injectors...What lb/hr was sufficient. I have a set of Orange Tops from an 850 turbo. Do you think these are in the ballpark of what I'd need???
[/quote]

Probably the best thing you can do is decide how much power you want then figure out what injector to use.

But in the short term, just manage your setup. Slowly turn up boost and keep track of when you start to run lean and at what boost level. That's the point where you turn the boost down by a pound or so just to provide a safety margin.

And BTW, isn't your screen name the name of a certain hammer?

Back