• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions about 16 valve

JamesDean

mmkay, i know that this may be a little bit of what the Canadians call "Bench Racing" :D , but ive been thinking about a 16 valve head swap... ive got an 88 240 with a B230 engine in it, and was just wondering about the pros, the cons, so on.. anyway.. any input would be really cool...thanks
Jimmy

If you don't want a turbo it will be pretty strait forward from a relative stand point. Assuming you have a 740 donor car you could do a pretty direct swap. The question is will it cost you more than a turbo? Also if you have an autobox the 16V is likely to feel pretty sluggish as it doesn't have a ton of torque to get out of the autobox slop. If your car is a stick it will likely feel a bit snappier. I would guess [benchrace] that you could get about 175Hp out of this thing. [/benchrace] To mate this to a B230F block you need the whole computer from the 16V and the manifolds,then you just need the timing belt tensioner from Richard and you have a 16V. I don't know what your compression ratio will then be, but if the timing belt lets go it's time for new valves or head.

"Direct swap"? Sure it is, if you have 16v intake manifold, exhaust manifold, PISTONS(!!!!) and management.
Ton of work dude. And I really think you need pistons with valve reliefs cut in them with the hemi head (although I talked to a guy in Indonesia who was using B230ft pistons. But I don't think NA pistons will work. You'll kill everything. This is very important.

I don't consider anything that requires pulling the engine a direct swap- and i personally reccomend pulling the engine for the pistons swap after my on recent traumatic experience with piston swapping in-car.

I think a turbo swap would be more straight forward personally.

I wasn't sure the that the B230F pistons wouldn't work, if they did and you have a 740 donor car, you wouldn't need to pull the motor. If the pistons don't work then it is a whole other ball game. If the pistons don't work then I think the turbo is going to be a simpler more rewarding swap. i could have sworn that someone was sucessfully using B230F pistons, but if they are B230FT dish pistons then I misread.

Back