• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V conversion RHD clutch master

Loftworthy

Hey everyone! I bought my first 240 the other week and I'm planning to get started on a 16V conversion for it, nothing too drastic at the moment, NA with some slightly hotter cams maybe. I've been absorbing information everywhere I can find it, but one issue is eluding me. My car is right hand drive, and I'm concerned that the 16V head may not clear the clutch master cylinder. As you can see in the picture below, even with the stock b200 it's tight.

I've not been able to find any pictures of RHD 16V 240s, nor much information on this aspect of the conversion. I found one Australian page that suggested it may *just* fit, but otherwise it suggested either converting to a cable-clutch (which I'd really really rather not do), or relocate the master cylinder elsewhere, which quite frankly is beyond my fabrication/engineering skills.

I've seen pictures of 16V engines in 240s canted over at different angles. Obviously standing the engine up straighter would create more clearance, but that then introduces issues of the gear lever being all skewed over to the left inside the car.

If anyone's got any info or has tackled this before, it'd be much appreciated :).
megh_zpsspsewvt7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Karl, that's a helpful closeup. I think dropping the engine down a bit lower might be the way to go for me.

The 740/940 models with the 16v engine use an internal master cylinder do they not?

That's where the master cylinder is housed underneath the dashboard right? Also a good possibility, if I could make it fit somehow.

Back