• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

got the crank out last night, everything looks good. main bearings looked great, rod bearings look good, pistons look good. tonight I'll probably break out the degreaser and the hose, clean everything up real nice and purty like, oil up the parts that need to be oiled, and commence with building caps for the freeze plugs.

scrub-a-dub-dub one block in a tub. block's clean, air-dryed, and wd40'd up. came in side to cool off and look at the wife's laptop (waiting on some glue to dry. when will people realize you can't walk around with the mother****ers plugged in and not rip the cord out?). might drop the crank back in tonight, might even get the rods and pistons back in too. all the clearances are already set, shouldn't take that long. gotta make sure there's no FO in the crank oil journals, but no crud came out of the block so I'm not expecting to get much out of the crank either. bearings didn't seem to bear any FOD, but I wanted to make absoultely sure after the engine took it's dirt bath during the tumble session.

Dammit, I will be in Bama in September...too bad I'll be up in Cullman. Wish I could go witness the shens!

If your in a hurry for the head studs let me know as I still have a new set in the bag from RSI and I won't be needing them soon. Just let me know and I can ship them out asap and just pick yours up at RSI when then come in.

Simon

Bottom end is back together.. well mostly. crank, rods, pistons are back in and all torqued down, aux shaft is in it's hole. I'm going to try and get a pan sand blasted this weekend so I can spray it down. front and rear gaskets as well as a new front main seal (mighta booggered mine trying to extract fidel's crank gear. it's a tight fit!), all that stuff oughta get here bout the same time everything else is ready to go. also got a pm about the new timing belt, juuuust in time :-D

Dammit, I will be in Bama in September...too bad I'll be up in Cullman. Wish I could go witness the shens!

it's only a 2.5 hour drive south to visit.

If your in a hurry for the head studs let me know as I still have a new set in the bag from RSI and I won't be needing them soon. Just let me know and I can ship them out asap and just pick yours up at RSI when then come in.

Simon

Thanks Simon, its funny you mention that, I got a tracking number from RSI today for a delivery monday that should be my studs. But I appreciate the offer!

Intercooler core should be ordered, garret race core 24x4x12. hopefully a flow improvement over the ebay unit, but not as hole-y regardless.

deadlines deadlines deadlines. might borrow the neighbor's engine hoist and try'n get the engine/trans out of the goldbrick so I can get at all the stuff that'll need to be cleaned and assess the motor mount situation.

I'm going to try and get a pan sand blasted this weekend so I can spray it down...
You've probably done it before, but there's just something about sand blasting the pan and then trying to clean all the sand out. Can the machine shop hot tank it to remove the paint? MikeP had one stripped clean to bare metal, sans sand.

headstuds got here last night, hopefully seals etc will get here tonight (but wife got a job, so I have to move stuff out of the house to her classroom), will try and sneak some work time in this week. I would really like to get the engine back together no later than the end of the weekend.

Think I might build some motor mount brackets this time.

Back