• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 244 1JZ and IRS track car

How are you guys picking which IRS you want to use? A reasonably similar track width is obviously a concern. What else?

How are you guys picking which IRS you want to use? A reasonably similar track width is obviously a concern. What else?

yes you are correct about the track width. I had this setup already so I chose that. the volvo 240 has a track width of 67.3 (someone correct me if im wrong), and S14 has 68.1 so pretty close. Wheel selection would be important, and what amount of fender/body work you can/want to deal with would be important too

1) search
2) find online measurements
3) Figure what works best for you and how much skill you want to put into it

For me track width was out the window completely. There are like 2 reasonable IRS setups for track widths small enough for a 122. I'm just flaring/cutting fenders to make it fit and that gives me penultimate freedom to choose any IRS I feel like!

yes you are correct about the track width. I had this setup already so I chose that. the volvo 240 has a track width of 67.3 (someone correct me if im wrong), and S14 has 68.1 so pretty close. Wheel selection would be important, and what amount of fender/body work you can/want to deal with would be important too

1) search
2) find online measurements
3) Figure what works best for you and how much skill you want to put into it

For me track width was out the window completely. There are like 2 reasonable IRS setups for track widths small enough for a 122. I'm just flaring/cutting fenders to make it fit and that gives me penultimate freedom to choose any IRS I feel like!

I meant more along the lines of how the suspension kinematics perform, anti-dive/squat, etc.

I meant more along the lines of how the suspension kinematics perform, anti-dive/squat, etc.

Well, depends on what your goals are, but most folks don't wanna cut up their fenders and extend their wheel base so fitment matters quite a bit, hence the advice to research the fitment.

As far as picking a suspension, find a car that handles well in its stock form, then prioritize aftermarket support, then prioritize price and availability. Presumably, an IRS will perform the same under any chassis so long as the angles don't change. Subframes make this the easiest since you have no cutting, measuring, rewelding and fabrication to do apart from making sure the whole thing is mounted correctly (usually four bolts to worry about as opposed to sixteen angles and spacing if you attempt to modify the suspension subframe and reuse its parts with your own mounting brackets).

IMHO it's a little over the top to nitpick exact specs. If you're going from solid axle to IRS, any decent handling donor car will make a significant upgrade in drivability and handling.

I chose my setup because I bought an S13 for its engine, which I sold, then decided to swap suspension instead, then bought a 300zx to upgrade said suspension and decided to keep its suspension instead. Not exactly a linear path of thinking but in the end, it's an improvement over my 1965 rusted suspension geometry by several magnitudes.

Last edited:
Well, depends on what your goals are, but most folks don't wanna cut up their fenders and extend their wheel base so fitment matters quite a bit, hence the advice to research the fitment.

As far as picking a suspension, find a car that handles well in its stock form, then prioritize aftermarket support, then prioritize price and availability. Presumably, an IRS will perform the same under any chassis so long as the angles don't change. Subframes make this the easiest since you have no cutting, measuring, rewelding and fabrication to do apart from making sure the whole thing is mounted correctly (usually four bolts to worry about as opposed to sixteen angles and spacing if you attempt to modify the suspension subframe and reuse its parts with your own mounting brackets).

IMHO it's a little over the top to nitpick exact specs. If you're going from solid axle to IRS, any decent handling donor car will make a significant upgrade in drivability and handling.

I chose my setup because I bought an S13 for its engine, which I sold, then decided to swap suspension instead, then bought a 300zx to upgrade said suspension and decided to keep its suspension instead. Not exactly a linear path of thinking but in the end, it's an improvement over my 1965 rusted suspension geometry by several magnitudes.

I was thinking along these lines, all the nissan IRS cars can be made to handle as you need. there is tons of aftermarket support, and are extremely adjustable. If you havent, check out some of the stuff PBM has engineered, they have some wild stuff these days

https://store.partsshopmax.com/

I have some updates, been distracted by a BMW I bought with a friend. Its also hot as hell here (Tempe AZ), but these are lame excuses...

Rear shock towers started:

removable front core support, still need to mount intercooler:

Rear wheel/ fender setup started:

I love your build. Great work.

The pictures make me hate photobuket. I used to just dislike. But after seing how their watermark ruins the pictures. I f'n hate them.

Wish you well with the project.

I love your build. Great work.

The pictures make me hate photobuket. I used to just dislike. But after seing how their watermark ruins the pictures. I f'n hate them.

Wish you well with the project.

Thanks!

I hate that too, im going to switch to imgur I think

I just bought an S14 subframe to swap on my 740... I hope I?ll be able to use some of your ideas to bolt the subframe to the 740 chassis. Nice job!

Back