• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 960 B6304S engine Valve Cover

RunVolvoRun

A big ? Can I put a dirrerent valve cover from one car to another? Has anyone done it before? I noticed the the Cams sit on top of the head and the valve cover and there are no bearings. Will the dirrenent valve cover get chewed up by the original cam?

1996 Volve 960

oldduttyvolvo covered it - even though phyiscally another cam cover may appear to fit, the cams will either bind or have excessive clearance & cause oil pressure issues. They are line-bored as one. Either way, it won't last long if you attempt this.

It's the same with any whiteblock 4, 5 or 6 cylinder. I've seen JY's trying to sell the heads without the cam cover, that's like selling a paperweight, it's useless unless paired with it's cover.

Thank you for feed back and the information, this is our first time working with these engines, red blocks have been our main stay.

You need the special tool which clamps down the head cover uniformly
You don't need it when tightening the bolts evenly starting from the center. I go every second bolt towards the front and then from front to back. Sides last. And with an impact :-P Final torque by hand. Never had one crack.

I'd say the bigger risk is while opening. The guide pins are sometimes really tight(and the glue too) and prying from only one corner can cause a risk. Some just pop up with a small touch.

Back